Website Template Recommendations?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I volunteer for a non-profit, humane organization (Feline Rescue & Rehome or FuRR) and we want to re-do our website. Being a non-profit with little money to spare, we are on a budget. I think we could spring for about $2K. There are a lot of companies selling templates that can be used to build a website and I'd like some recommendations.

I will be the one to implement this new website. I know enough html to get myself into trouble, but I'm not a wiz at the job. Ideally, this would be a simple enough job for me. We want to website to be updatable by a non-techie. I don't mean the structure of the site, but when an article is to be added, changed, deleted, a non-techie should be able to do it. By non-techie, I mean someone who is comfortable using a pc but knows nothing about web coding.

Here's a list of what we want on our website. ** means that section will be updated often. The other elements will be static or at least updated less frequently. I understand these subjects may be greek to you, but this should give you the gist of what we want.

-FuRR Mission Statement and Our Beginning
-FuRR Programs (spay/neuter, Operation Jack, Medicat, Clinic)
-Volunteer Opportunities
-Adoptions-Petfinder Adoption App
-Announcements**
-How to Donate
-FuRR Store**
-In Memory and Happy Ending Stories**
-Helpful LInks
-Merchant Page-Merchants who help or have partnered with FuRR
-Articles-News, what we have accomplished, events)**
-Featured Pets-This might be about 10 cats with picture and biography**
-Advice-Articles to help a pet owner
-Facebook Link

We may eventually want to add a cafepress section to our website also. It'd be nice to be able to customize the colors and insert our own graphics, which I will be providing.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you don't know a lot of HTML and don't have the time to really learn it I would suggest using a CMS like Joomla. Sites are very easy to set up with a CMS and very easy to allow others to update only certain sections, because that's built into the design.

There's a bunch of easy to follow information about Joomla here: http://www.cloudaccess.net/training/getting-started-joomla-3-0.h...

Thanks for that recommendation. It's the only recommendation, but it's a good one. I watched the getting started video and it looks like something I can do. I'm not sure how easy it will be for non-techies (but conversant with a pc) to update content, say in an article. This still looks to be easier to update than what we have now.

I think one of the hardest things will be to pick the right template, there are a bunch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but after watching the video, it would appear to me that even if the template comes with say 3 columns on the page, it can be easily modified to 2 columns or 1 column?

Do you have any experience with any of the template companies, is there any that you recommend?

Updating content is pretty simple if you set everything up correctly. There are, of course, tons of options and lots of different ways to configure things. It's all up to you. But, in the end, the person would just login and either upload a file or be connected to the text editor through their browser and then they could just type something in.

Yes, there are a lot of templates. Some have multi column options built in while others do not. If you know how to do a little programming you can change just about any of them though. Personally I like to keep things simple and either use the one built into Joomla or use the one that the people on that site I linked offer for free - the gantry based one. Can't think of the name right now. It's very versatile and lets you pick different column settings pretty easily.

I've looked at some of the other templates out there, but never found anything that did any better for what I needed.

Take a look at www.wix.com

It may not be exactly what you want or need, but if it works for you, it's very easy to build and edit - and way under budget.

nice share

minidrag said:   If you don't know a lot of HTML and don't have the time to really learn it I would suggest using a CMS like Joomla. Sites are very easy to set up with a CMS and very easy to allow others to update only certain sections, because that's built into the design.

There's a bunch of easy to follow information about Joomla here: http://www.cloudaccess.net/training/getting-started-joomla-3-0.h...

what advantages does Joomla have over Wordpress? doesn't Joomla make things more complicated than necessary?

fattwallit said:   what advantages does Joomla have over Wordpress? doesn't Joomla make things more complicated than necessary?

It's really a matter of opinion. Some prefer one, some prefer the other. I happen to have used Joomla so know it is pretty easy to get around. Wordpress is very popular too, but I've never used it so can't say one way or the other about it.

Take a look at Open Sourse Web Design

Check on Eris Template it suits you and surely you will say thanks to me after using this

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014