Windows Experience Scores

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Just curious if these scores really mean anything?? The scores below are from 2 different desktop computers. The scores are similar. One is Dell XPS 8500 with an i7. The other is an HP with AMD Athlon II X4 620. The HP scored higher than the Dell. Does that make sense to anyone?

Windows Experience Index score: 5.4
Processor: 7.6
Memory: 7.6
Graphics: 5.4
Gaming Graphics: 5.9
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

Windows Experience Index score: 5.9
Processor: 7.1
Memory: 7.2
Graphics: 6.8
Gaming Graphics: 6.8
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

the better score is obviously due to the GPU, but it really matters how your using it, office/school/web/itues/photos = who cares, both will be the same
video editing/3D rendering/games = then you need to know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2

skh12 said:   the better score is obviously due to the GPU, but it really matters how your using it, office/school/web/itues/photos = who cares, both will be the same
video editing/3D rendering/games = then you need to know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2

But the HP scored a 5.9 while the Dell scored the 5.4
I would think that is substantial given that the HP is 3-4 years older than the Dell.

If I remember correctly, the overall Windows Experience Score is nothing more than the lowest score. So the situation you have with those two machines is that the Dell has a weaker graphics card and that's its limiting factor. The score is equal to the graphics score.

The HP, on the other hand, has less in the way of processing power but has a better graphics card than the Dell so it scores higher. Its limiting factor is the hard drive.

Upgrade the graphics card on the Dell and the hard drive will become the limiting factor and they'll both have the same score.

For what it's worth, unless you're gaming on the machines, it really doesn't matter at all at these levels. Both machines are more than enough to handle anything other than hard-core gaming and/or hard-core video editing and the like.

ChinaRider said:   If I remember correctly, the overall Windows Experience Score is nothing more than the lowest score. So the situation you have with those two machines is that the Dell has a weaker graphics card and that's it's limiting factor. The score is equal to the graphics score.

The HP, on the other hand, has less in the way of processing power but has a better graphics card than the Dell so it scores higher. Its limiting factor is the hard drive.

Upgrade the graphics card on the Dell and the hard drive will become the limiting factor and they'll both have the same score.

For what it's worth, unless your gaming on the machines, it really doesn't matter at all at these levels. Both machines are more than enough to handle anything other than hard-core gaming and/or hard-core video editing and the like.

Thank you for the information. I do not do anything really hard-core with my computers so I will stick with what I have until it actually dies.

Do excel with the Dell,
Play warcraft on the HP

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014