• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
This question is about the home network. What would you suggest to improve upon my existing WiFi setup in which I need to restart the modem and the router about twice a week? I think my existing modem does not support DOCSIS 3, and I would upgrade if that solves the problem.

Provider: I have Cox Communication cable with about 13-18 MBPS
Modem: Motorola Surfboard SB5120
Router: Netgear WGR614 Version 6
Also have WiFi extender Netgear WN3000RP. Most of my gizmos (Ipad3, Ooma, Roku, 3 blu ray players with dongle) are on this wifi extender, though the restart is needed even when I do not use the extender).

I am willing to pay for quality. What are the most reliable modem, router that I can use to get rid of this hassle? Please share your experience.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you need to restart the modem that often I would start by getting Cox to check the line. It might be a signal or noise issue. The latest ASUS routers come highly recommended.

Do you have to restart the modem? If so it's probably time for a new one. DOCSYS 3.0 Motorola Modems start with a 6.

Are you sure it's the modem and router both that need to be restarted? One or the other can easily go bad or have connection issues. Both at the same time seem highly unlikely.

Restarting both helps fix whatever issue, as sometimes it helps the modem reconnect with the cable/dsl company and the wireless router to work out it's bugs.

my zoom 5350 has been very stable

docsis 3 won't solve your problem, but your modem could be flaky, how long have you had this problem?

if the provider has made some changes, you might just need to unplug the modem for 1 min. or ask them to send a rest signal or kill command and make sure the modem is provisioned properly

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.