Need a backup Internet/ Dial up service

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have a small business where I process all card payments through my Comcast internet service. My computer system (though which the payment goes through) has a backup dial-up plan if there is no internet service. I used to have an ATT which even though slow was always online. I switched to Comcast for higher speed and lower price. I have a voice plan also with them. For last couple of month my internet service is getting disrupted for 1-2 hours weekly. I am not able to do any credit card processing during that time.
I am looking for another line for a backup internet. At&t has wireless home phone for $20/month but it says no dialup, fax or VOIP. Any suggestion.
Thanks

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Slightly different direction, but have you looked into PayPal / Square / Intuit for credit cards? I switched about a year ago. You need a cell phone for it, but transaction fees are cheaper. And no comcast / dial up required because it will use your cell service. None of them have monthly fees either, so you can use it just as a backup if you want.

yea, what mini said, or tether your cell phone for your backup

Or use JUNO/NETZERO (Same Company)

FreedomPop gives you 500 MB of FREE data monthly. Google them.

masterox7737 said:   FreedomPop gives you 500 MB of FREE data monthly. Google them.Not for dialup as OP wanted.

If it's the terminal dialing it will dial into the verification system by itself (usually a toll free number). If it's your computer see if it can dial into the system directly. Your processor may charge a few cents for the dialup processing.

Cradle point has a series of routers that allows the use of a usb - cell modem as a backup.
Several cell providers will sell you the service.
The service would be faster than dialup, and the router would switch to it automaticly.

When I had AT&T DSL, they used to provide some free dial-up minutes. I used the dial up a couple times when my DSL was "down." If you're considering switching ISPs, you could check with AT&T if they still offer dial-up if you get uverse or DSL with them.

Or, if you just need to process credit cards, https://squareup.com/ is very popular with small business. Just sign up for the no monthly fee, 2.75% per transaction and use it as your backup.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014