eBook Reader suggestions?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I don't care too much about features. I just want something that I can read eBooks on. I have a Kindle account (but not kindle device) and I sometimes read on my iPhone. I occassionally get books in PDF format and other eBook formats. Device suggestions? I'm kind of thinking I should go with an iPad because of the multi-fuctionality?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you just want to read get a reader like a Kindle - I think they're down around $60 now. No need to spend extra money for tablet features you aren't going to use.

If you want to do more than read though you'll need to give us an idea of what you are wanting to do with the device.

If you want to read in sunlight, the kindles with e-ink (not color) are the way to go

First decision to make is whether you want e-ink or an LCD screen. I'm not a big fan of reading on an LCD screen. I read an entire novel on an iPad and I found it to be noticeably straining to my eyes when I would read for any extended length of time. From what I understand, not everyone has that problem.

E-ink is a pretty neat technology in the sense that it's essentially electronic paper and doesn't involve the eye strain of looking at a continuously refreshing screen. If that's an issue, your decision is made.

Since you said you just want to read with the device, I would suggest getting an e-reader such as the Nook Simple Touch or Kindle. Each can be found for around $75, cheaper if you wait for a deal.

If you already read on your iPhone, getting an iPad might make sense, as you can sync where you are between your devices.

If you are just going to read on it (you don't need tablet functionality), I would agree with the previous suggestion of a Kindle or Nook Simple Touch. Figure out before hand whether you want to buy it with a backlight (Nook with Glowlight or Kindle Paperwhite), or a clip on light.

I read on my tablet all the time and have no eye strain issues, as long as I use an app that I can adjust the brightness on. I use Aldiko Book Reader, where I can adjust the brightness just by swiping downward on the screen.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014