• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Can he view what I'm sharing on my network without my homegroup password?

Member Summary

Landlord cannot get into your share files. They can view your traffic, unless it is encrypted

ellory said:   Landlord cannot get into your share files. They can view your traffic, unless it is encryptedAnd as long as you don't have Windows sharing enabled without a password. Homegroup is just one way of sharing files. Windows 7 and up still supports standard Windows File sharing.

Or you share off a separate router and he cant get in uour net at all

Who controls the router? If you do, set up a guest network (many routers support them) and let him use the guest network.

Hmmm what if I have a HOMEGROUP password they need to join my homegroup but within that HOMEGROUP I don't have a windows sharing password. I should be good then right?

Also I'm a tenant so the router is sitting in and controlled by my landlord

itzcuzimuslim said:   Hmmm what if I have a HOMEGROUP password they need to join my homegroup but within that HOMEGROUP I don't have a windows sharing password. I should be good then right?

Homegroup passwords control homegroup access. They have nothing to do with Windows file sharing passwords. If you have Windows File Sharing set to require a password and he doesn't have it, you're fine.

itzcuzimuslim said:   Also I'm a tenant so the router is sitting in and controlled by my landlord

Do you have a wire coming from the router? If so, buy a router for yourself and plug that wire into the Internet side of your router. You will then be on your own network that he won't have access to.

Nope wireless.

Again though I'm confused so if I put OFF the windows file sharing password but PUT ON the Homegroup password can they or can they not access my file shares?

Explain, who controls the MAIN router.
If you , get a Router that supports Guest Mode (Costs about $50)

If him, get a router that supports Wireless Repeating (About $50)

Either way, Guest mode or a Repeating Router will protect you.

itzcuzimuslim said:   Nope wireless.

Again though I'm confused so if I put OFF the windows file sharing password but PUT ON the Homegroup password can they or can they not access my file shares?

You need passwords on BOTH. Or just turn off homegroup and use Windows, with password. Either way, anything that shares needs a password.

And as forbin4040 said, get a wireless repeater / router is possible. That will take the wireless signal, repeat it (make it stronger) but also change it (routing) to another network setting so you will be on a different network.

Sigh guess I'm setting a password

If you're very concerned about the landlord seeing any of your traffic, you could
1. A simple approach: use a VPN software client on your system, for example Hot Spot Shield http://www.hotspotshield.com/
As long as you connect to the VPN, the landlord won't be able to see anything about your traffic.

2. setup a wireless repeater with a VPN (to piggyback on what minidrag wrote.) http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=442736

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014