• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I went to college n the '80s when COBOL, Assembler, Fortran and Pascal were part of the curriculum. Through work, my skills have evolved into .Net, C#, Silverlight, ASP, HTML, SQL Server for LOB applications.

I get asked the question from people looking to get into web development what to study and I don't really know what to recommend these days. What's the hot language or environment. Obviously, mobile apps are the rage. What say you all?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

There are lots more ways to get the education and experience needed to become a professional Web developer. Some basics as you stated would be .Net, C#, Silverlight, ASP, HTML, SQL Server for LOB applications. Apart from it one need to know PHP, MySQL, Java Script, Perl, Ruby, Python as well ASP.net. In order to create a modern, interactive website, I suggest a combination of PHP, MySQL, and possibly JQuery/Javascript for interactivity.

I agree that as far as traditional/tried-and-true, PHP, MySQL, Javascript/Jquery are good to look at, and would add CSS to that list (I guess HTML goes without saying).

A lot of buzz around HTML5 and CSS3. Ruby on Rails is also worth looking at, as far as a "hot" language environment. On the database side, a lot of buzz around NoSQL type databases (mongodb is a popular one).

Oh, and as far as doing the development, take a look at XAMPP from Apache Friends. It is an easy way to install an Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl ...etc system for development. Eclipse and Netbeans are two free open-source IDEs that are popular for web development. With XAMPP + Eclispe/Netbeans you can pretty much set your system up to do web development in 15-20 minutes.

Thanks a lot, folks. Really great info here. I'll pass it on!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014