Converting Laptop Hard Drive to SSD

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hi,

I have a HP DV6 Intel Core i7 laptop primarily for everyday home use. The current hard drive is 640 GB. I want to replace this with a Solid State Drive and was looking at this:

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD).

Will this work? I plan to use the laptop for basic everyday use (Internet, some music, Photos and Videos, Documents) and the high data needs would be backed up within an external hard drive.

The reason I am thinking on replacing the drive is that I had to change the HDD a year back because of a blue screen issue. And again I am facing the same intermittent blue screen. When I ran the HP Diagnostic tests, it failed the Memory Module test (Stystem Tune Up, Start Up test and Run-in test). The failure ID was Q08BXW-5LS6ML-MFH15G-406E03.

Thanks for your effort.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

There's no converting. Just clone the drive.

And the 840 is one of the best you can get.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQx7PlIXFuE

FatRookie said:   The reason I am thinking on replacing the drive is that I had to change the HDD a year back because of a blue screen issue. And again I am facing the same intermittent blue screen. When I ran the HP Diagnostic tests, it failed the Memory Module test (Stystem Tune Up, Start Up test and Run-in test). The failure ID was Q08BXW-5LS6ML-MFH15G-406E03. That error points to a problem with your RAM. Replacing the hard drive won't fix that.

you should run some drive diags before you fix something that isn't broken

Thanks Comprx,
I have 8 GB RAM - does it mean I would change all of 8 GB, or ?

Run a test like memtest to pinpoint the fault module, if there is more than one

But. sometimes its just corrosion. Just remove and reinsert the modules. Then run the tests

You could also do a fresh install of the operating system on the ssd. If you want to clone, clonezilla is an open source solution. Acronis also offers free version of their True Image software that you can use if you have either a Western Digital or Seagate hard drive in the system. I've used the full version of True Image with good results, and clonezilla with...mixed results.

What exactly do you mean by "change" 8 GB? You will be replacing the hard disk drive with and SSD. The 8 GB of RAM (memory) will not be something you change.

gephardt said:   What exactly do you mean by "change" 8 GB?
troubleshooting

and that would only be necessary if they fail testing....either or if 2x4 or 1x6 and 1x2

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.