• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Today out of a blue, I just decided to search for my name on google. To my surprise, there are a few sites that show my personal information such as age, address, the market price of my house, my husband and my kids' names and almost my entire phone number.
So I google again to see how I can remove my personal information online. I was able to remove my information on "Spokeo" but I cannot remove anything from "mylife". It looks like I have to pay someone to get this done. Is there a step-by-step instruction out there that I can get so that I can remove my personal information off the internet, mainly "Mylife"?

Member Summary

http://www.mylife.com/faq.pub

This will just take it down from mylife, not remove it from the public domain sources.

The reality is, you may think this information is private, but it is often just put together from public sources of information you or your family has posted somnewhere

It keeps asking me to upgrade and pay them to remove my public profile. What a scam.

I saw my info on mylife before...... I WAS PISSED!!!!

I emailed them and said it was FRAUD,i didnt sign up on thier stupid site and i dont want my info there!!!!

They replied to my email and said they'd remove it..... The next day it was gone!

Good luck buddy!

ellory said:   http://www.mylife.com/faq.pub

This will just take it down from mylife, not remove it from the public domain sources.

The reality is, you may think this information is private, but it is often just put together from public sources of information you or your family has posted somnewhere

Exactly. Many of these sites just troll the web for data then put it together in one place. There are many different places where this information is likely to be - OP mentioned a house, for instance. Property purchases and taxes are public record. You used to have to go to a courthouse or something to look up that information, but in many places it is now available online.

Dude111 said:   I saw my info on mylife before...... I WAS PISSED!!!!

I emailed them and said it was FRAUD,i didnt sign up on thier stupid site and i dont want my info there!!!!

They replied to my email and said they'd remove it..... The next day it was gone!

Good luck buddy!
They are free to collect publicly available data. What fraud occurred?

What's funny is you need to REGISTER to see the MYLIFE info. Hence they HAVE YOUR PERSONAL INFO..haha

Yes, I saw that too. I did not register

moliuchick said:   It keeps asking me to upgrade and pay them to remove my public profile. What a scam.
What you're finding just scratches the surface. There is a whole industry emerging of publishing dirt and private affairs, and then charging for removal. The dirt publishers have back-room arrangements with removal companies, because the two companies help each other profit. The removal sites often negotiate a lower bulk price for removal with the disclosure site.

Search for Florida mugshot articles to get more details on this scam. There is an interesting story where a victim of the Florida mugshot publications turned slimeball and started his own mugshot business to get a piece of the action in damaging others. If you hire a cleanup company, you have to be careful that you are not financially supporting a company that contributes to the scam.

They are exploiting the fact that there is no Data Protection Act in the US. If you get naturalized in an EU state, you can then assert your data protection rights as a European and be able to force data removal at no cost to you.

A huge part of the information these sites have that they use to "connect the dots" comes from public records filings (birth certificates, marriage licenses, mortgage trust deed recordings, etc). Like you, I was surprised how much personal information I could find on myself and my family.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014