MacBook Pro vs Dell XPS

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Choosing one or the other to run Linux.

The Mac opens umpteen multiple windows a heck of a lot faster than the Dell. I don't know if that's because of the OS, or if the Dell we were looking at had simply been bloated by Windows.

Would one have an advantage over the other running Linux as an OS? Based on the durability of the aluminum case on the Mac on display, it won over so far. Is it more durable in real life than the XPS? This will be knocked around in travel.

Thanks.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What specific models of both were you looking at?

Are you looking to install any particular Linux distro (Unbuntu, Debian, etc.)? You may want to look into seeing if the Linux distro you want runs on the selected hardware.

Personally, unless you're planning on running OS X on it, Macs tend to be overpriced for what they offer in terms of hardware. For running Linux, I'd go with the cheaper of the two options, making sure the Linux distro is compatible with it, and after checking a few reviews on it.

The Dell was likely slower because you didn't have enough memory or a fast enough processor
There is no reason why a windows or mac should be faster than another

re: Win, Mac, or Linux, what software and apps do you need to run

re: durability on the non-Mac side, consider a Lenovo

The latest MacBook Air units are not compatible with Linux just yet. There are PCIe SSD / SATA kernel bugs to fix.

Retina MacBook Pros have plenty of issues as well. An Ivy Bridge non-Retina MacBook Pro or Air should be fine.

Honestly, though I love MacBooks for OS X, a Dell XPS is a better choice. Personally, I prefer Lenovo and Acer for Linux use, but there are innovative choices like XPS 12 that will become very Linux-optimized when Ubuntu gets Ubuntu Touch integration in 13.10. That's the first truly touch-integrated Linux other than MeeGo to hit PCs.

MacBook edition of apple laptops and iMac are run on mac os which is somewhat Linux based operating system developed by apple itself a very fast attractive and user friendly os mac has gained a lot of potential consumers in past few years, with million and millions of app in app store make makes computing versatile on the other hand windows is the operating system of masses it is also user friendly and a os of common basically used in educational center being a slow operating system it cannot be used in many professional works. See if you consider time as money then mac should be your first choice as it helps to process your work faster although window based laptops are cheap still MacBook always excels in every aspect you consider

miniotron79920 said:    MacBook always excels in every aspect you considerHow about in flexibility, choice, and openness? I think not

macbook in every aspect, I am a year in to my macbook pro after being a windows user for close to 20 yrs and will never go back

evbe said:   Choosing one or the other to run Linux.

Would one have an advantage over the other running Linux as an OS? Based on the durability of the aluminum case on the Mac on display, it won over so far. Is it more durable in real life than the XPS? This will be knocked around in travel.

this is not a mac vs windows thread, so raving about how much better one or the other is does not help.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014