• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I’m looking for some advice on purchasing an “action camera” for a vehicle. We’re going on a trip and would like to record the journey. The vehicle will be a small SUV crossover (Honda CRV); there will be a radar detector stuck on the windshield. GPS is built-in so there will not be that appliance to contend with for space or power.

I don’t care about features like the ability to zoom or control it from a remote or phone; but won’t say no if the best unit has it. With the price of memory cards so low, I’m thinking I would have a handful and upload data throughout the trip and rotate their use so I don't see the need for internal storage space, but max card size would be important.

I do care about how it is mounted so not to block too much view of driver or passenger and I care greatly about the ability to easily remove from the vehicle to help minimize the temptation of the casual break-in.

So, for you who have used these things – what brand? How do you rate it? Do you recommend it? What would you change about it using the magic wand?
Our trip is in a month, so I guess I’ll need to be deciding by around 9/15. Your suggestions for this item are appreciated.

LJ

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Techmoan has great reviews on many dash cams.

Some specs/functions to consider:
Video resolution: at least 720p @ 30fps (1920*1080p FULL HD @ 30fps is highly recommended)
Loop recording
LCD display
Built-in battery
G-Sensor
H.264 video compression technology
Built in microphone
Support micro SD card, up to 32/64GB (Class 10 recommended)
Seamless continuous recording (no skipping between files) is a must

Built-in GPS is optional as most dash cams with GPS, if not all, have heat-dissipating problems.

I think everyone need one just in case.

Most dash cams come with a suction cup and may be mounted on the windshield.
You might want to check the Windshield Law in the states you will travel in here(some are outdated) and here.

forbin4040 said:   You mean like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Front-Camera-Vehicle-Dashboard-Recorder/dp...

Yes, that type of thing, the Go Hero, etc.

v999 said:   Techmoan has great reviews on many dash cams.

Some specs/functions to consider:
Video resolution: at least 720p @ 30fps (1920*1080p FULL HD @ 30fps is highly recommended)
Loop recording
LCD display
Built-in battery
G-Sensor
H.264 video compression technology
Built in microphone
Support micro SD card, up to 32/64GB (Class 10 recommended)
Seamless continuous recording (no skipping between files) is a must

Built-in GPS is optional as most dash cams with GPS, if not all, have heat-dissipating problems.

I think everyone need one just in case.

Most dash cams come with a suction cup and may be mounted on the windshield.
You might want to check the Windshield Law in the states you will travel in here(some are outdated) and here.

thank you V999 - I'm checking out those sites. Appreciate the information!

if you want to buy vehicle,recommend a cool one with unique design.this Car DVR with Motion Dection,Night Vision.

Stay away from any dash cam with video resolution of (1280x960) as it is extrapolated from the VGA (640x480).

Using several LED lights for camera lens is not true night vision. That's false advertising.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014