Automatic (Periodic) Email Sending?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but a search on 'email' didn't turn up the thread I thought I saw a while back...

I set up Yahoo email accounts for my kids to use for their Apple IDs on the various iPods / iPads in the family. My son's Yahoo email is now 'being recycled', presumably because it hasn't sent or received any emails since shortly after it was created.

Are there any services that will automatically send an email to a specific email address every month or something similar?

I realize I could just sign up for a newsletter at some store or site, but this will inevitably lead to spam email and I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

Your suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks.

Member Summary

Why do you think a newsletter will sell your email address and lead to spam? There's plenty of newsletters out there that specifically state they don't sell your email address. And what make you think that an automated "send email every month" service wouldn't sell your email address?

Newsletters for bands are a good one, like this:
http://www.tmbg.com/temp_site/mp3.htm 

Some more info on this recycling by Yahoo:
http://blog.mailermailer.com/industry-news/yahoo-recycling-old-e...

Chinarider, that will not fix the Yahoo issue, they are recycling email address that haven't LOGGED IN in the last year. So signing up for spam will not fix.

Just login to their account once a year (Or set a computer with a IMAP to the yahoo setting) and you are golden.

forbin4040 said:   Chinarider, that will not fix the Yahoo issue, they are recycling email address that haven't LOGGED IN in the last year. So signing up for spam will not fix.

Just login to their account once a year (Or set a computer with a IMAP to the yahoo setting) and you are golden.

Yep, found this article, which states that an account is considered "inactive," if it hasn't been logged into or accessed in 12 months:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/06/14/inactive-yahoo-email-accounts-reset/2425089/

The article states that Yahoo will be unsubscribing recycled accounts from commercial e-mail, so even if an account is till receiving email (SPAM), it'll be recycled.

IMAP is a possibility, however, it's only officially supported on phones:
http://guillaumeb.com/ym/imap.html

But maybe just setting up an annual reminder (11 months, to be safe) on your Calendar to log in should be enough.

marsilies said:   

But maybe just setting up an annual reminder (11 months, to be safe) on your Calendar to log in should be enough.

That's what I would do.  Annual reminder in whatever calendaring program you use, then login for them and forget about it for another year.

hello,
if this is possible that automatic or periodic email sending then it is really helpful for many work and time saving for anyone.
thanks for discuss about this.

Consider ditching Yahoo, not just for your current burden, but also because:
  • Does your family have ties to China? Yahoo voluntarily identified a pro-democracy forum admin to the Chinese police, leading to his incarceration.
  • Yahoo supports CISPA
  • Yahoo manages your address book contacts for you  (how nice of them!) 
  • Yahoo uses crude and sloppy anti-spam techniques that blocks legitimate messages in a way that is silent to recipients, contrary to EFF.org's sensible position on how spam should be handled.

Thanks for all of the feedback, gang. I knew I could count on you.

Glad I posted, because I wouldn't have known that inactivity was associated with logging in instead of receiving emails. Guess I'll set a reminder to log in every few months or so...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014