• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Well I tried to Google the answer to this question but can't find anything specific to what I'm trying to accomplish -

At our organization we use first initial and last name @ domain.org for our emails. They run through Gmail.

We have an employee who recently got married. She was JDoe@domain.org, now I need to change her to JJones@domain.org

How do I do this? I don't want her to lose all her old emails, etc. I know I can add an "alias" as JJones, but that's not her new new name. When she sends an email it needs to read "JJones".

Thank you.

Member Summary

You mean you're using Google Apps? I've had to deal with this type of name change on our Google Apps.

Sign into the Google Apps Admin Dashboard, and find and open the user you want to change. Click on the rename user icon on the top right. You can change the user's first and last name, as will as their "primary" email address.

Before renaming this user, ask the user to sign out of his or her account. After you rename this user:

• All contacts in the user's Google Talk chat list are removed.
  • The user might not be able to use chat for up to 3 days.
  • The rename operation can take up to 10 minutes.
  • The user's current address (JDoe@domain.org) becomes an alias to ensure email delivery.
  • The new name might not be available for up to 10 minutes.

Personally, I've experienced the rename occuring almost instantly, and the user was also able to use chat right away.

jimmywalt said:   I know I can add an "alias" as JJones, but that's not her new new name. When she sends an email it needs to read "JJones".

Some e-mail clients will let you enter whatever you want in the From: field, regardless of who's server you are using.

jimmywalt said:   I know I can add an "alias" as JJones, but that's not her new new name. When she sends an email it needs to read "JJones".

Some e-mail clients will let you enter whatever you want in the From: field, regardless of who's server you are using.

bonghead said:   Some e-mail clients will let you enter whatever you want in the From: field, regardless of who's server you are using.

Google Apps doesn't let you do that. You can send email "on behalf of" another email address (after you confirm access to the other email address), but it still looks like it's coming from the primary email address.

In the situation of a name change due to marriage, best to just change the primary email address.

No I'm sorry this doesn't work. It's not Google Apps that we are using. I just checked. thank you.
marsilies said:   You mean you're using Google Apps? I've had to deal with this type of name change on our Google Apps.

Sign into the Google Apps Admin Dashboard, and find and open the user you want to change. Click on the rename user icon on the top right. You can change the user's first and last name, as will as their "primary" email address.

Before renaming this user, ask the user to sign out of his or her account. After you rename this user:

• All contacts in the user's Google Talk chat list are removed.
  • The user might not be able to use chat for up to 3 days.
  • The rename operation can take up to 10 minutes.
  • The user's current address (JDoe@domain.org) becomes an alias to ensure email delivery.
  • The new name might not be available for up to 10 minutes.

Personally, I've experienced the rename occuring almost instantly, and the user was also able to use chat right away.

bonghead said:   

No. We are just using Gmail (no client) with our domain name. It doesn't appear you can change your email address in Gmail, you just have to start over.

jimmywalt said:   No. We are just using Gmail (no client) with our domain name. It doesn't appear you can change your email address in Gmail, you just have to start over.

If you are using gmail, but have your own domain name for the email address, that is Google Apps. It won't say "Google Apps" in Gmail, just Gmail, but Google Apps is the only way Google lets you use Gmail with your own domain.

If you're an admin and can add and delete accounts, go into the admin console. Then follow the instructions I gave above.

Ok. I think I found it. Thank you.
marsilies said:   
jimmywalt said:   No. We are just using Gmail (no client) with our domain name. It doesn't appear you can change your email address in Gmail, you just have to start over.

If you are using gmail, but have your own domain name for the email address, that is Google Apps. It won't say "Google Apps" in Gmail, just Gmail, but Google Apps is the only way Google lets you use Gmail with your own domain.

If you're an admin and can add and delete accounts, go into the admin console. Then follow the instructions I gave above.

jimmywalt said:   It doesn't appear you can change your email address in Gmail, you just have to start over.

Keep in mind that you can create a new account and then set the old one to forward everything to the new one.  That way she'll still get all mail sent to the old account, pretty much seemlessly.

Actually I did find how it can be done without any hitches! Just like the person that made the first reply at the top suggested.

marsilies said:   
bonghead said:   Some e-mail clients will let you enter whatever you want in the From: field, regardless of who's server you are using.

Google Apps doesn't let you do that.

It doesn't matter. If a server is too restrictive, don't use it. The server used to send can be (and often is) entirely different than the server for inbound mail. I can even send mail with the field "From: my_preferred_userid@gmail.com" via a non-google server like gmx.de.

bonghead said:   It doesn't matter. If a server is too restrictive, don't use it. The server used to send can be (and often is) entirely different than the server for inbound mail. I can even send mail with the field "From: my_preferred_userid@gmail.com" via a non-google server like gmx.de.

Isn't that likely to get you flagged by some SPAM filters though? It's also non-trivial to set up, and requires the use of an email client. If they're using Gmail, they're likely primarily using the Gmail web interface, which isn't designed to use altnernate servers for sending mail.

In any case, the OP was able to do what he wanted, rename the email account, so this alternate method isn't needed.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014