• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
Moved to a smaller house but dual band Belkin router seems to not be as strong. I am looking for your suggestions. Thoughts i have had
1.  install D-WRT
2. Install a second router at each end of the house.
3. Run a cable and install a WIFI extender at each end of the house..

This house is all on one level and I have tried several locations for the router to no avail. One wild card is TWC installed a modem that had WIFI. They have disabled the Wifi but after they turned the Wifi off - the modem caused us to get slow or no internet. They said the modem was causing interference with the router. (This is a whole long story but they they had me connect cables a certain way but I am not sure but that  the modem is not still causing issues, but at least we have internet. So one step might be to switch modem with a regular modem, because the range seems to be reduced in this house.mand I had just a regular modem in the old house.)

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Why can't I edit the last line of my post it does not show in the box and I cannot move the contents of the box up in edit mode? I am using a Ipad and touch the little arrow at the bottem right but that just centers the box. I have updated and then went back to edit but that did not help.

This post confuses me. I want to help but I don't understand it.

forbin4040 said:   This post confuses me. I want to help but I don't understand it.
  Sorry but in my new house I can get wifi in only 2 rooms but in old house I could get it all over the house (8 room house). Why and how do I fix it.

Sounds like your new house has a lot of extra thick walls that block signal.

You will either have to

1. Get a New Router that has extra strength
2. Move your current router to the middle of the house
3. Buy extra routers/repeaters and place them in the rooms that work to extend the wifi to rooms that don't.

forbin4040 said:   Sounds like your new house has a lot of extra thick walls that block signal.

You will either have to

1. Get a New Router that has extra strength
2. Move your current router to the middle of the house
3. Buy extra routers/repeaters and place them in the rooms that work to extend the wifi to rooms that don't.

Thanks for your suggestions
1. This belkin is supposedly extra strength
2. I moved it to the center and have tried various places.
3. May have to do this.

2. 
 

  


Wifi Analyzer - Android Apps on Google Play
Disclaimer
If you have an android device, you can try using Wifi Analyzer  for a clue about what is going on. It will show you the different access points, the channels being used, and the strength of the signals. Perhaps the channel being used by your router is also being used by many of your neighbors, and changing to a different channel might help. You can also use the app to walk around and see how the signal strength changes, or use it to see how placing the router in different locations affects the distribution of the signal.

Was your previous home mult-story? Is your new home longer/wider than the old one? A wifi router transmits a signal in a 3D spehere, so a router could cover an entire mult-floor home very well while not being able to cover a single-story home that's much wider or longer.

Is your Belkin "extra strength" router the same that you had in your previous home? How old is it? What's the model number?

If you have a laptop, and a copy of the floorplan for your house, you can generate a wifi heatmap for you home. You could see where the problem areas are and it could help planning the placement of wifi access points or repeaters, if needed.
http://www.ekahau.com/wifidesign/ekahau-heatmapper 


 

Sorry OP, but IMHO Belkin's are junk. Stick with the big 3 (Linksys, Netgear, Dlink) and you can't go wrong. EVERY ONE of my Belkin's has gone into the trash pile (About 5 so far)

If you do add an AP you may want to look at something from Ubiquiti. Enterprise class at consumer prices. Longer range, more programming options, better quality. A little more work to setup, but well worth it.

One example:

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniFi-Enterprise-System-Range/dp/...

marsilies said:   Was your previous home mult-story? Is your new home longer/wider than the old one? A wifi router transmits a signal in a 3D spehere, so a router could cover an entire mult-floor home very well while not being able to cover a single-story home that's much wider or longer.

Is your Belkin "extra strength" router the same that you had in your previous home? How old is it? What's the model number?

If you have a laptop, and a copy of the floorplan for your house, you can generate a wifi heatmap for you home. You could see where the problem areas are and it could help planning the placement of wifi access points or repeaters, if needed.
http://www.ekahau.com/wifidesign/ekahau-heatmapper  

It is an N600. Bought it at Costco don't know how long ago. The old house was 2 story but I had it at one end of the house and its range was about 35 feet. Now at the new house I have it at the center and it has trouble at about 20 foot. Looks like i need to do the heat map thing with my laptp. Thanks for that idea.

  

forbin4040 said:   Sorry OP, but IMHO Belkin's are junk. Stick with the big 3 (Linksys, Netgear, Dlink) and you can't go wrong. EVERY ONE of my Belkin's has gone into the trash pile (About 5 so far)
  Before the Belkin I had a Dlink with an antenna and one of the kids knocked it over and the antenna would not stay on and the speed and range was bad after that. But it was old. So I thought I would try the Belkin N600 dual band with the 5GHz.

You could also dispense with wifi for the affected areas and go with something like this 

Wireless is for convenience and portaiblity - for things that dont move (Netflix, Blu-ray player, desktops), they make a nice alternative.

You could also try InSSIDer , in case you dont want to fool with an Android-based device troubleshooting.

Logan71 said:   You could also dispense with wifi for the affected areas and go with something like this  
 

  Powerline is great if it works; I think the circuits have to be arranged a certain way to get everywhere in the house. A nice combination would be to use powerline connections back to the router for plugging in additional wifi access points. That way you wouldn't have to run cables through the house for the APs, and it'd be a faster connection then setting up a wifi repeater.

Why make things complicated - OP is willing to run wire between the two ends of the house. Straight forward...

One router on one end acts like a router.
Other router in other end acts like an AP.
They are 'bridged' via ethernet.  Ethernet cable gets plugged in to any of the four ports on both routers.  Do not plug anything on the 'internet' or 'feed' on the AP router.
Set up each of them to the same SSID but different channels.


Current snap
Disclaimer
marsilies said:   
Logan71 said:   You could also dispense with wifi for the affected areas and go with something like this      
  Powerline is great if it works; I think the circuits have to be arranged a certain way to get everywhere in the house. A nice combination would be to use powerline connections back to the router for plugging in additional wifi access points. That way you wouldn't have to run cables through the house for the APs, and it'd be a faster connection then setting up a wifi repeater.

  
Valid point, unless you need, or are constrained to 54(G) speeds. In those scenarios, you're better off with a hard-wired connection. AC outlets that share a circuit breaker tend to have the best throughput, though this isn't always true. Halogen lights, DC noise and a few other things an impact throughput.

Here I am pulling 76+ meg (after overhead) vs 54 meg with wireless. 
 

1) adapter like PL-18N-RF or PT-H10DN-1W or something similar
from products page http://www.premiertek.net/cat/networking-11n.htm

and

2) antenna like ANT-D245818
from products page http://www.premiertek.net/cat/networking-antenna-acc.htm

my 2 cents

lemme know if i helped, any comments, and what you decided to buy. thanks

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I will be trying some of them, because the wife can't use her Ipad throughout the house like she could at the old house. First I need to do the signal check. Just have not had time to do it yet.

I am beginning to think the appartment next to me is causing the problem. At various time I pickup various Wifi signals that show up as strong as my signal and the appartments are at least 100 feet away.

Thanks

You can read this post. May be it can help you out to understand what are the possible problems.

http://lifehacker.com/5657613/why-is-wi+fi-coverage-so-bad-in-my...

Try changing the channel. You may have neighbors that are on that same channel and that is preventing clean reception of your signal.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.