Looking for new Router recommendations

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I currently have a Cisco/Linksys E1000 router that lately has been dropping connection for a couple of minutes intermittently during the day.  It's about 3.5 years old, so I assume it's on its last legs and would like to replace it.  Here is my setup and needs:

- Router is connected to Comcast HSI Box via Ethernet cable - not sure what speed tier I'm on, but a recent SpeedTest returned a download rate of 22mbps.
- Home and work PCs are connected are hardwired via Ethernet to the router.
- Various wireless devices connect to the router (802.11G/N devices:  one iPhone 3GS, LG Smart TV, WII, Android phones, HP TouchPad running Android) and an iPad Mini which has 802.11a.
-  The wireless devices are used to browse the web and stream Netflix and YouTube.
-  I am not into modding the modem to do fancy stuff with it, I just want a reliable connection at decently fast speeds.
-  I have a single story house about 2400 sq. feet and current router seems to provide coverage throughout.  It is located in one of the front rooms and my daughter gets signal in her bedroom in the opposite corner.
-  Budget is less then $150.

What recommendations do you have for a reliable router based on my criteria?

*** Edited to correct wireless devices info

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Pickup another E1000, Amazon has them for $35+FS

Check warranty from mfg and credit card company too.

Go to Goodwill, if you have them in your state, and pick up a router for 4.99 and burn DD-WRT on it. I've found/seen gigabit Cisco home routers from time to time over there or Savers, again if present in your state. There are so many choices out there, and you also seem to have a big enough budget to cover anything so.... that's what I'll do. And chain the one that you already have, as a client and put it in your daughter's room. I know you don't like modding, it's not that difficult trust me. On the other hand this Asus  gets good reviews all over the place, and I'd look for an AC router because we'll all be there in probably three, five years.
Good luck to you.

hooked said:   

- Router is connected to Comcast HSI Box via Ethernet cable - not sure what speed tier I'm on, but a recent SpeedTest returned a download rate of 22mbps.

Do you know anything about the Comcast box?  Many of them include routers.  If yours does you may want to consider using it for your routing and just getting a wireless access point.  Replacing it with another one for $35 or less sounds nice though...  just depends on which direction you want to go.

I don't think the cable modem has a router. Only one Ethernet port. I also have Comcast home service so the modem has the phone line n there as well.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I would rather stay away from used equipment because it seems that routers have a shelf life of 3-4 years. I'd also like to get a more modern device than what I have now for future proofing.

Well a brand new E1200 is $45 on Amazon.

Can't go wrong with what you already know if no issues. Newer routers don't 'really' get better anything if your other equipment (like your Modem) is old.

I've been using Hootoo Tripmate for a while. It's a great gadget that can be used as wifi router, USB storage and battery charger. Most importantly, it's less than $50. You may get it from Amazon.

Simple secure Wireless N routers and 802.11ac wireless technology for your home or business network | Buffalo Technology
Disclaimer
I'd recommend buffalotech.com routers. I've had excellent experience with them.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless

Dual Band Wireless is the way to go.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014