• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I work for a non-profit where money is extremely tight........... So I need to do this as efficiently and inexpensively as possible.

We have a computer in a room with a wireless keyboard and mouse. This computer controls 2 over head projectors in 2 different rooms that are separated by a moveable wall (so that the room could be one large room if necessary).

The room with the computer is being occupied by another service that we offer, so we now need to use the other room (the one without the pc in it) to control the overhead projector in that room for our presentation.

Unfortunately the wireless keyboard/mouse will not function when it's on the opposite side of the wall as the computer (and we HAVE TO keep the wall closed).

What can we do so that we can control the computer when we are on the other side of the wall from where it's located? Thank you!

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Did you forget about your last post?

I'd try bluetooth first, I know I can control an old Wii with the Wiimote from a different room, similar to your situation.

ChinaRider said:   Did you forget about your last post ?

I'd try bluetooth first, I know I can control an old Wii with the Wiimote from a different room, similar to your situation.

Yes. You nailed me on that!! I forgot all about it and the person inquired this morning if I had a solution. I forgot I even "looked" into it by posting here. Thanks for the reminder.

So you think a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse will be the trick? Is there a Bluetooth receiver that would plug into the pc (like in a USB port)?

Thanks.

That should work, I was getting about 20 feet away (Left phone in car with BT on) and was able to access inside a FF restaurant.

We can only speculate on whether or not it will work, but that's what I'd start with as you can always return it if it doesn't work for your situation.

And with regards to your question about a bluetooth receiver, if your computer doesn't currently have bluetooth then you'll need to buy a bluetooth adapter.  They can be found for 10 bucks or less pretty regularly, even FAR if you can wait for a deal like that.

ChinaRider said:   We can only speculate on whether or not it will work, but that's what I'd start with as you can always return it if it doesn't work for your situation.

And with regards to your question about a bluetooth receiver, if your computer doesn't currently have bluetooth then you'll need to buy a bluetooth adapter.  They can be found for 10 bucks or less pretty regularly, even FAR if you can wait for a deal like that.

That item linked comes with one

forbin4040 said:   
ChinaRider said:   We can only speculate on whether or not it will work, but that's what I'd start with as you can always return it if it doesn't work for your situation.

That item linked comes with one

Turns out that the item I linked was no larger than a large cell phone. It won't work for our needs. I thought the keys would be at least the size of that on a laptop.

Back to the drawing board....................

Suggestions?

there are plenty of full size, bluetooth mice/keyboards, here is a link for crap sakes

skh12 said:   there are plenty of full size, bluetooth mice/keyboards, here is a link for crap sakes
  But I was told today by a couple different retailers that Bluetooth wouldn't necessary work any better for us than what we tried with a wifi one.

jimmywalt said:   
skh12 said:   there are plenty of full size, bluetooth mice/keyboards, here is a link for crap sakes
  But I was told today by a couple different retailers that Bluetooth wouldn't necessary work any better for us than what we tried with a wifi one.

Are you sure it wasn't IR?  Those are much shorter range than bluetooth.

minidrag said:   
jimmywalt said:   

Are you sure it wasn't IR?  Those are much shorter range than bluetooth.

Lol Shorter? IR doesn't worth through walls.

I wonder what jimmywalt bought that didn't work.  Or was just a crappy unit.

would you like me to purchase one, bring it over and set it up for you ?

jimmywalt said:     But I was told today by a couple different retailers that Bluetooth wouldn't necessary work any better for us than what we tried with a wifi one.
  I highly doubt you used a "wifi" keyboad/mouse. Most likely you tried a "wireless" keyboard/mouse that used generic RF (radio frequencies) control. 

Do you have wifi in the office? Does it work in both rooms? Is the computer attached to the projector on ethernet?

One option is to remotely control the computer using another computer, like a laptop, in the room with the projector. Something like UltraVNC would allow you to control the computer's screen, and provide keyboard/mouse input. For this to work, both computers will need to be on the network.
http://www.uvnc.com/ 

Alternatively, you could use a phone or tablet to control the keyboard/mouse. There's several Android apps that offer remote keyboad/mouse control. I've never used it myself, but the Android app below will do so, after installing a contol program on the computer:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.androidTools.Air_HID_Demo_1m&hl=en 

Another option, if you're ok with running cables between the rooms (as indicated in the previous post), is to run a USB extension cable to the projector room. Then you could plug in the keyboard and mouse directly in, or plug in a wireless dongle for wireless keyboard mouse. You may need to use a USB hub in the projector room. Monoprice has USB extension cables up to 15' long:
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10303 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014