WTF mozilla?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have no idea why, but today when I started firefox and thunderbird, the both had reset to their default states. At least firefox still kept my addons/whatnot but all my settings were gone.

I made sure to make recent backups so I'm only about a week off, but this is extremely annoying. Any ideas why it happen(s)(ed)?

No, I made absolutely no changes to anything since yesterday.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Gremlins.

ChinaRider said:   Gremlins.
I briefly suspected Nargles.

After restarting, Feed Notifier no longer wants to cooperate.......

Check your harddrive, make sure it's not failing. Check your RAM too.

marsilies said:   Check your harddrive, make sure it's not failing. Check your RAM too.
I thought that may have been it. Or a virus.

Diskchk ran automatically and I guess it fixed some things. Still had an "unsafe connection" issue with FF but after a system restore, it went back to normal.

lordoffire said:   Diskchk ran automatically and I guess it fixed some things. Still had an "unsafe connection" issue with FF but after a system restore, it went back to normal.

If you meant CHKDSK, then that will find and recover file system errors, but won't really check to see if the drive is failing. Download and run something like HDDScan. Check the SMART parameters, if any of them have a yellow exclamation point next to them, replace the drive.
http://hddscan.com/

marsilies said:   
lordoffire said:   Diskchk ran automatically and I guess it fixed some things. Still had an "unsafe connection" issue with FF but after a system restore, it went back to normal.

If you meant CHKDSK, then that will find and recover file system errors, but won't really check to see if the drive is failing. Download and run something like HDDScan. Check the SMART parameters, if any of them have a yellow exclamation point next to them, replace the drive.
http://hddscan.com/

I didn't see anything. Would you recommend running a scan with a SSD?

lordoffire said:    I didn't see anything. Would you recommend running a scan with a SSD?
SSDs still can fail, and still have SMART monitoring built in, so it wouldn't hurt to check.

lordoffire said:   I have no idea why, but today when I started firefox and thunderbird, the both had reset to their default states. At least firefox still kept my addons/whatnot but all my settings were gone.

I made sure to make recent backups so I'm only about a week off, but this is extremely annoying. Any ideas why it happen(s)(ed)?

No, I made absolutely no changes to anything since yesterday.

My FF did the same thing several days ago. AdBlock Plus did not work. Had to reinstall. Weird. Scanning the whole drive turned up nothing.

did it again....at least I had recent backups and changed the others to portable versions so they weren't affected

will have to keep an eye on things

It could be a corrupted Firefox profile Try resetting the profile:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

marsilies said:   It could be a corrupted Firefox profile Try resetting the profile:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

But I would think it would have to have something in common with the other program that was previously reset, which was not mozilla related in any way.

lordoffire said:   
But I would think it would have to have something in common with the other program that was previously reset, which was not mozilla related in any way.

Do you mean Feed Notifier? You said chkdsk found and fixed some errors; it's possible both programs got corrupted somehow.

In addition to a profile reset, you could try re-installing Firefox.

Did you ever check the SMART status of your SSD? How about checking the RAM?

marsilies said:   
lordoffire said:   

Do you mean Feed Notifier? You said chkdsk found and fixed some errors; it's possible both programs got corrupted somehow.

In addition to a profile reset, you could try re-installing Firefox.

Did you ever check the SMART status of your SSD? How about checking the RAM?

I think that was after it first happened....will run chkdsk, possibly SFC? It just doesn't seem like this is windows' for once

clicked the thingy, was all green.....ran a surface test with no results?

will run memtest shortly

Just a stab:
Did by chance FF and TB update to a newer version and somehow turned off all your add-ons/customizations. Just a thought.

TheNastySheriff said:   Just a stab:
Did by chance FF and TB update to a newer version and somehow turned off all your add-ons/customizations. Just a thought.

they weren't off, they reverted to the first-run statuses

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014