Printer Queue issue

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I was printing on an old computer in the house.  When it didnt print, I realized that the default printer was incorrect as the original default is no longer around.  Is there any way possible to print from the wrong printers queue onto the correct printer?  I already changed default and tried to "restart" the document and it doesn't do anything and still shows incorrect printer.  I cannot shut it off because it is a coupon from coupons.com and once you cancel them, you cant reprint.  So, if you think there is a way that I can change the queue from one printer to the other, please let me know.

** UPDATE ** -   I attempted to change the port in properties and it started printing all kinds of random characters and I lost the item I needed printed.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

no afaik...I've tried

This cannot be done because when the page is sent to the print queue it is processed by the printer software and drivers into the kind of information and language that the printer for that queue expects. A different printer will not understand what is being sent and text will be garbled. Theoretically, you could change the port to a different port that has the same or extremely similar printer and it would work, but in practice I have never seen it work.

Some coupons.com coupons will print twice. If not, try hitting the site from a proxy or from a different internet connection(Cell Phone, neighbors house, etc.)

dmccall4 said:   If not, try hitting the site from a proxy or from a different internet connection(Cell Phone, neighbors house, etc.)

Doesn't work like that.

This claims to be able to move print jobs. http://www.cobraapps.com/products/printviewer.php Can't say, I've never used it.

Actually, what you did should've worked *if* the new printer used the same printer language and a similar driver as the old printer. In your case, it sounds they were different, which was why you got the random characters.

For future reference, you can go into the advanced printer properties and check the "keep printed documents" box to prevent the driver from deleting the document as soon as it prints. You can also backup the .spd & .spl files in the c:\windows\system32\spool\printers folder in case something causes the spooled document to be deleted. Before changing the port, you should first pause the queue & document. Then change the driver to the one the new printer uses, though it won't help if the old document was spooled by a driver that is too different, like HP laserjet to Brother inkjet. Change the port to the new printer and unpause the queue, but not the document. The old printer will then likely be automatically renamed the same as the new printer with a Copy1 suffix. If the printer still shows offline or is greyed out, restart the print spooler service, but make sure keep printed documents is checked or you'll lose it here. The printer with the spooled document should now be online. Send a test page and verify it was printed. Then go into the queue, right click on the old document and select reprint. If it doesn't print, then you need to find another printer that is the same model or uses a similar driver as the old printer, set it up and try the above steps again.

KuoH

SlamminMOFO said:   I attempted to change the port in properties and it started printing all kinds of random characters and I lost the item I needed printed.

Ya.. thats prob what happened.  The orig printer was an HP and my new printer is an Epson.

dmccall4 said:   This cannot be done because when the page is sent to the print queue it is processed by the printer software and drivers into the kind of information and language that the printer for that queue expects. A different printer will not understand what is being sent and text will be garbled. Theoretically, you could change the port to a different port that has the same or extremely similar printer and it would work, but in practice I have never seen it work.

Some coupons.com coupons will print twice. If not, try hitting the site from a proxy or from a different internet connection(Cell Phone, neighbors house, etc.)

"This cannot be done" ... actually,  that's not correct. I do it from different computers and from different printers ... even from an HP laserjet to a Brother inkjet.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014