long range wifi

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
This is kind of a deal discussion, but more oriented towards the tech side of it....

Anyone have any experience or luck with long range wifi antennas?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Not personally, but I've read a lot of good things about Ubiquiti UniFi APs. They've got some long range models.

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi#UnifiHardware

I have had success with powerline wifi boosters.

I setup a solution similar to this http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/point-to-point-bridge... 4 years ago for my parents. Haven't had any problems with it since.
What kind of distance are you talking about?
Do you have line of sight?
Are there any obstructions between sights?

ubiquiti AP-Pro actually was able to double the distance compared to my Apple Airport Router.

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi#appro

Easy to setup, Needs a separate router though.

backsplatter said:   I setup a solution similar to this http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/point-to-point-bridge...  4 years ago for my parents. Haven't had any problems with it since.
What kind of distance are you talking about?
Do you have line of sight?
Are there any obstructions between sights?

as long as possible while still being cost relevant....there aren't any large obstructions except for trees and houses, shouldn't be as much an issue if placed high up

Budget? I know the ENGENIUS line are long range but if you are taking about 1000' well, that won't work.

forbin4040 said:   Budget? I know the ENGENIUS line are long range but if you are taking about 1000' well, that won't work.
  nothing outrageous....

obviously there are certain limits even with ideal conditions

so give some distances please

One of the best and cheapest long range wifi antenna receiver is an old satellite dish antenna. Get an external USB wifi device like the Dell 1450 Wireless Adapter. Attach the USB device at the same spot with the "Feedhorn" with tape, glue or Velcrow. The eliptical dish focuses the concentrated EM waves at that "Feedhorn" spot. Search Google for "Satellite dish Feedhorn" if you are not sure. Face the dish towards the Access Point (AP) or wireless router. You will see a 10dB to 40dB gain. With careful aligning, I picked up my friend's AP who lives almost mile away from me.

Free1As1A1Bird said:   One of the best and cheapest long range wifi antenna receiver is an old satellite dish antenna. Get an external USB wifi device like the Dell 1450 Wireless Adapter. Attach the USB device at the same spot with the "Feedhorn" with tape, glue or Velcrow. The eliptical dish focuses the concentrated EM waves at that "Feedhorn" spot. Search Google for "Satellite dish Feedhorn" if you are not sure. Face the dish towards the Access Point (AP) or wireless router. You will see a 10dB to 40dB gain. With careful aligning, I picked up my friend's AP who lives almost mile away from me.
  With a usb adapter that would be for a single computer right. Can you extend the usb cable length without sacrificing anything.

How can I establish a network at the antenna location?
I want to extend my 20mbps Comcast wifi ~400 feet unobstructed to the garage. Then redistribute that signal via of a router to wireless devices (cell phone or laptop) and also wired a connection to a desktop.

You are not going to be able to extend USB cable very far beyond 10 feet without adding power. I would skip usb adapter and attach to your router, using Yaggi antennas, cantennas, or biquads. You can get cheap versions on eBay. You might still use a sattelite dish to focus if you need the length, but try it without it first.

Put one on each end and aim them at each other. Attach them to your routers/extenders, if possible. Most routers use RP-SMA connectors and most wifi antennas use N connectors. Buy RP-SMA to N connector cable to get the antennas in good placement.

Buy good cables like LMR 400, cheap cable will lose more signal than the antennas boost you. Do not under any circumstances use RG6 or other TV coax cable. It is 75 Ohm cable and wifi uses 50 Ohm cable. It will not damage anything, but it will screw up your signals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoquwWmVWOQ 

Figure $20 bucks each for two meter cables, and $20 - 30 bucks each for antennas...project should cost less than $100 dollars. Be prepared to spend a day on setup dialing the signals in.

I have used this setup to connect to my work wifi about 600 ft away with very good results. I have also used a cantenna to see visible wifi 2000 feet away, but signal was pretty crappy.

Oh and make sure WPA security is on. You will essentially be blasting your signals all over your neighborhood.

I can put the broadcast antenna in the gable of the garage within a couple of feet of the router. I can also put the receiving antenna in the gable of the shop within a couple feet of the extender.
Now from the extender I treat it similar to a router? Meaning I can connect cat5 cable to local equipment or I can connect wireless devices to the extender.

since I can get close to both devices, would a shorter cable be better?
10 foot cable for $21 or 5 foot cable for $23

Yes, use the same setup for extender as the router. Shorter antenna cable is always better, the longer the cable the more signal loss that can happen.

I think since I have two complete direct tv dishes here, and a 15 year old boy that is anxious to take on this project, I am going to build these
I will use a pair of Linksys routers.

So I just connect the biquad to one of the antenna connectors of the router and leave the other antenna alone?

this is what I am visualizing
- modem & router in basement office where cable feed comes in (two wireless devices at this location)
- network cable (less than 50 feet) to Linksys router in garage with biquad antenna attached
- transmit signal <400 foot.
- biquad antenna on shop with Linksys router set up as extender (one wired device at this location)
- network cable (~75 feet) into house and connected to another extender (one wired direct tv receiver and up to 5 wireless devices at this location)

Questions:
- can I do away with the first router and just receive the signal from the garage router. Not sure if the signal will be strong enough since the office is in the basement. House interior walls are plaster and garage wall is block. Also not sure if the biquad is too directional to use signal behind it.
- do you think the second biquad can be eliminated and just receive the signal to the extender with good placement. I don't mind doing the second antenna since I have the dishes already and I would like to achieve optimal signal at the destination because of possible heavy usage.

Hawking HW2R1tested to be 450 ft but cost around $128.
http://wi-fi-booster-review.toptenreviews.com/

Google/utube "wifi antenna"
Since you have biquad(s), test them first.
Dishes is big which is good for outgoor, but then you need extreme good long cables.
Biquad or even quad biquad/16 biquad are good inside the house space/cable wise.

Before doing the big project, you might want to try this small one such as Windsurfer first.
http://freeantennas.com/

Thanks for the post

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014