• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Yesterday, I received an automated, recorded phone call from Comcast to the effect of "your modem will need to be replaced"(upgraded, I assume).

Don't know if it was related, but a day or so prior to that, the modem lost it's connection to Comcast and needed to be restarted. That had not happened in a very long time. After restarting, all seems fine, so far.

Checking the Comcast website for modem compatibility, my modem, Linksys BEFCMU10(docsis 2.0), is listed with the "end of life" models. I know the new standard is now docsis 3.0. I really don't care about getting the very fastest speeds right now, but would not really like an interruption of service if it were to completely fail.

Anyone been through this experience? What's the real scoop? I know the obvious thing to do is to just get a new modem, but I'd like to hold off on this for a while. Don't want to rent either. As an aside, any fantistic deals on cable modems out there?

Thanks to all, in advance.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Basically you answered yourself
Comcast is moving to support latest DOCSIS 3.0 and abandoning older technologies. It's not the speed that you want.
Buy your own modem to save $7/mo rental.

Newegg today 10/24/13 has promo for Motorola SB6121 for about $70. Or get the newer model SB6141.

Why wouldn't a DOCSIS 2 modem still work at a lower speed? This "must" be replaced thing doesn't sound right.

ZenNUTS said:   Why wouldn't a DOCSIS 2 modem still work at a lower speed? This "must" be replaced thing doesn't sound right.
  Why would the new tech need to be downward compatible?

ZenNUTS said:   Why wouldn't a DOCSIS 2 modem still work at a lower speed? This "must" be replaced thing doesn't sound right.
Well, that's almost like saying no modem should ever become obsolete(ie, will always work). Don't think that is the case, but maybe it is. But basically, I am asking what you are asking.

But basically, at some point, if your modem doesn't work, and it is not up to standard, they no longer will offer support for connection issues. Regardless of what the real issue may be, they just say they cannot help if your modem is "obsolete".

Right now, my modem is listed on their "end of life" list. I suspect it will soon be on their "end of support" list.

But I think I will just ride it out. Just wondered if anyone has encountered this already in their Comcast region.

Thanks all.

minidrag said:   

That's how most standards work.  That's why a USB 1.0 device works in any computer or why a wifi b device can still connect to current new routers.  This is solely for Comcast's benefit.  With the newer DOCSIS 3 device Comcast has more control over bandwidth.  They can bond two, four, eight channels as they see fit.  That DOCSIS 2 modem will work until it dies of natural causes.  Also the DOCSIS 3 modems don't do the "speed burst" that DOCSIS 2 modem were capable of performing.  I have Time Warner and went to a DOCSIS 3 modem when they started charging a rental fee. I lost that bandwidth burst feature which would temporary  increase my bandwidth.

The currently you can get a modem and router for $68.  After 10 months it's paid for itself.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1308026/

minidrag said:   

Uh, that's a weird response.

I'm not saying Comcast has to make it work, just that I do not see a technical barrier to it continue to work at a lower speed.  In communication work there are certain expectation which maybe I'm used to that's very different than other area of IT.  I'm still working with 12 bit protocol along with 232/485 on the same upgraded pipe with IP.

Like the other poster reference on the DOCSIS difference, there's no logical "this thing" can't work anymore issue when it comes to cable modem standard.  If you understand the difference between wireless G vs mimo, it's a similar analogy.

Make sure your new modem supports 8/4 channels for up/down traffice to ensure a bit of future proofing. Many providers are moving to 4 and 8 upstream channels at this time. Most don't use 4 down yet, but it is coming.

I was just forced to upgrade my modem on Time Warner/RoadRunner internet to avoid a large increase in rental fees and selected a Motorola SB 6141 over the 6121 which only supports 4/4 channels. If you want some really technical answers to your questions, I would advise visiting http://www.dslreports.com/ forums. There main focus is keeping the world updated on the changes of broadband companies and the forum users love to support end users.

dmccall4 said:   Make sure your new modem supports 8/4 channels for up/down traffice to ensure a bit of future proofing. Many providers are moving to 4 and 8 upstream channels at this time. Most don't use 4 down yet, but it is coming.

I was just forced to upgrade my modem on Time Warner/RoadRunner internet to avoid a large increase in rental fees and selected a Motorola SB 6141 over the 6121 which only supports 4/4 channels. If you want some really technical answers to your questions, I would advise visiting http://www.dslreports.com/  forums. There main focus is keeping the world updated on the changes of broadband companies and the forum users love to support end users.

Thanks, and for the dslreports recommendation. Forgot about them.

I had a docis1.0 modem for a long time... they kept trying to get me to replace it (a friend told me the old ones take too much resources) I kept refusing since I wasn't paying for speeds faster than the modem was specced for.

Anyways I don't know at least in my case they never shut it off. I finally upgraded when they increased the speeds above what it was specced for on their own.

Personally I would call their bluff and not replace it... I and might be worth complaining to the FCC and/or BBB you might manage to pressure them into buying you a new modem though probably not.

This is just my personal opinion, but if usage fees are the same I would take Docsis 3.0 over Docsis 2. When I had a docsis 2 modem, my speeds would vary greatly on long downloads. With a docsis 3 modem the speed stays right at the maximum for the entire download time because it is using bonded channels to keep the speed up. I stayed with the same plan when I upgraded my modem, but I still noticed more speed in the download.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014