How long do cable modems last?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have had a motorola cable modem for about 5 years or so. Just recently I have had many outages. Most of the time I just unplug the modem and wait a minute or so and then I'm off again. The last few days I have had to wait sometimes hours before I get my signal back. I use a wireless network but I don't think that is it because I still show and excellent signal being broadcasted to the computers.

Is it time for a new modem? I have Optonline and was wondering if they also require a specific modem.

Any help or comments would be great.

Thanks...

I have had my cable modem for about 5 years as well. (originally from Optonline) I don't know what there average life expectancy is though. They have come down quite a bit in price over the last few years. Any cable modem should work. You will just need to call Optonline, tell them the new MAC Address (and possibly a few other numbers) on the modem and they will do the necessary voodoo to make it play nice.

I have Optonline for about 4 years and had originally purchased it. (In fact, shortly after I bought it, I had to exchange it with the manufacturer)

In any case, I called CableVision. They came out (eventually), verified that signal strength was OK, and - at no additional charge - replaced the cable modem.

Not bad. Of course - their monthly rates are way to high to begin with

mines about 5 years old, no problems

although my router, which is only 3yrs old, has been giving me some problems lately

ellory said: [Q]I have Optonline for about 4 years and had originally purchased it. (In fact, shortly after I bought it, I had to exchange it with the manufacturer)

In any case, I called CableVision. They came out (eventually), verified that signal strength was OK, and - at no additional charge - replaced the cable modem.

Not bad. Of course - their monthly rates are way to high to begin with

I went to Cablevision and they gave me a new modem that I have to return if and when I stop using their service. Since I also bought the other one, they just told me to keep it. The new modem is about half the size of the older one, which is a good thing. Unfortunately I still have some problems so I guess the router is more the problem than the modem was. I updated my router software so I will see if that helps.

Four to Five yrs is about right. With those types of issues it is time to contact you ISP provider and see about getting a new one.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014