• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
I know you can pay like 5 bucks a month for quicken to do it, but is their an alternative besides burning it onto a disk or connecting them everyday with a cable? Thanks.

I'm sorry but I don't understand.

You want to sync your quicken data files without the use of disks or connecting the computers together.

How would you like this to happen?


a wireless network?

I recommend keeping your Quicken and Quickbooks files on a USB jumpdrive. Try to find a secured drive, but then you just plug the drive in and start working.

I wouldn't keep them only on a Jump Drive.

Just use the quicken backup utility to backup the files on one computer. And the restore utility to restore on the other.

If you're looking for real time auto synch, then this approach doesn't work

I guess i could email the file. Is there any way to autmotically set up outlook to email file in a specific foler at certain times? I know this is a stretch, but the idea is creative right?

I'm with StingRay on this. If you are only dealing with a few files that need synchronization, and if the laptop and the desktop are in the same area, I'd use a wireless network and just share the SAME file between both computers. That way you are sure that you have the most recent version on both PCs. Because there is only ONE version. The shared one.

If you are running XP Professional on at least one of the computers, you could also consider Offline Files, or doing a Remote Desktop Access to one of the computers, running Quicken remotely on one PC and not even bothering to copy the data file to the second PC. But these would only work if you have a local wireless or a fast Internet connection between the two.

RebateMonger said: [Q]...if the laptop and the desktop are in the same area, I'd use a wireless network and just share the SAME file between both computers. That way you are sure that you have the most recent version on both PCs. Because there is only ONE version. The shared one...What happens if the OP opens the ONE file SIMULTANEOUSLY from BOTH computers? I don't believe that a "Standalone / Non-Network" version of Quicken will have File / Record Locking to prevent data corruption. [IIRC, only the multi-user version of Quickbooks does.]

Quicken's built-in Backup & Restore are the safest way to share for the majority of users. Using an External USB ZIP (or IDE HDD) drive would work, depending on the storage capacity required.

manoosie said: [Q]I guess i could email the file. Is there any way to autmotically set up outlook to email file in a specific foler at certain times?Are you "suggesting" that the Laptop and the PC:
  • Are rarely / never in the same physical location?
  • Have different primary users?
  • But still want to share one data file (possibly for tax recording)?


rqpd said: [Q]I'm sorry but I don't understand.

You want to sync your quicken data files without the use of disks or connecting the computers together.

How would you like this to happen?As inexpensively and effortlessly as possible please... <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif" border=0>

you guys definitly know more about networking than i do<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border=0>. I have a wireless network at home, and that could work. In fact, there are a few folders (like my pictures and music) i would like to sync between the two. How do i set this up? I normally dont have my laptop on at home(just at school, hence the effort to connect them from a distance) but i could sync the two at home I guess. How do I do it?

Look into foldershare

manoosie said: [Q]you guys definitly know more about networking than i do<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border=0>. I have a wireless network at home, and that could work. In fact, there are a few folders (like my pictures and music) i would like to sync between the two. How do i set this up? I normally dont have my laptop on at home(just at school, hence the effort to connect them from a distance) but i could sync the two at home I guess. How do I do it?

I use a program called syncback that I read about in a pc magazine, it was rated as one of the top ten utilities that help where windows is lacking. I have been using it for two weeks now and I love it. It is awesome and has a lot of options. Best of all, it's freeware. You can get it here.

I have downloaded the program, i have a few questions about syncback. Do I need webspace for this, or do I still need to physically connect my computers? I really need a step by step. Any chance you can give me that, or know where to find it? I have looked at the help and its all about backing things up, not syncing.

raulinigo said: [Q]I use a program called syncback that I read about in a pc magazine, it was rated as one of the top ten utilities that help where windows is lacking...Do you have a LINK to that article? I'd like to read about the other NINE...

i wouldn't recommend emailing the file. your financial data is private, you don't want that floating around the internet after you press "send".

manoosie said: [Q]I guess i could email the file. Is there any way to autmotically set up outlook to email file in a specific foler at certain times? I know this is a stretch, but the idea is creative right?

manoosie said: [Q]I have downloaded the program, i have a few questions about syncback. Do I need webspace for this, or do I still need to physically connect my computers? I really need a step by step. Any chance you can give me that, or know where to find it? I have looked at the help and its all about backing things up, not syncing.

You said you have a wireless network. You have to create a sync profile and set it up to sync whatever folders/files you want, just make sure that you share those folders/files on your network. I have my desktop sync its Music folder with the one on my Laptop, and vise versa. I have it set to only run on command, versus scheduled runs... since I dont always have both computers on at the same time. It is really easy to figure out. I didn't even have to read the help files or anything. I think it is self explanatory and user friendly so I am not real sure what problems you are having.


TakeTheActive said: [Q]raulinigo said: [Q]I use a program called syncback that I read about in a pc magazine, it was rated as one of the top ten utilities that help where windows is lacking...Do you have a LINK to that article? I'd like to read about the other NINE...

It was my brother's magazine, not online. Sorry!

syncback is great, using it now and it works like a charm. I reccomend it!

manoosie said: [Q]syncback is great, using it now and it works like a charm. I reccomend it!

I love it too. Glad you got it figured out, and could get it up and running.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014