• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2 345
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I can't connect when I use the WEP key/passphrase

The problem is probably with the WEP key. Most manufacturers do an extremely poor job of explaining the process. There are basically 2 ways to enter a key: You can enter a key directly or use a passphrase. The passphase is used to generate a key. Your hardware may use the terms Hex and ASCII instead of key and passphrase.

Many people end up entering the same digits in both pieces of hardware, but in one they enter it as a key and the other as a passphrase. Even if both use passphrases, they may have to be compatible hardware for them to generate the same key from the same passphrase.

So, if you're sure what you've entered is the same, enter the hex key instead of the PassPhrase

For 128 Bit WEP, you should be entering a 26 digit hex key into each piece.
For 64 Bit, you should have a 10 digit hex key
If your hardware supports 256, it should be 57

In ASCII, 128 bit is 13 digits
64 Bit is 5 digits
256 is 29

Credit to drodge

Ads by Google
rated:
removed

rated:
removed

rated:
I don't know anything about how to set up a wireless network, please help. I have a ADSL service and a wired modem (it said: ADSL Modem Router), it has no antenna. I am confused, what is a router, a modem/router, a wireless router, a wireless modem/router? Now I want to go wireless, what I should buy and what steps I should take.
Thanks

rated:
truongmymy said: I don't know anything about how to set up a wireless network, please help. I have a ADSL service and a wired modem (it said: ADSL Modem Router), it has no antenna. I am confused, what is a router, a modem/router, a wireless router, a wireless modem/router? Now I want to go wireless, what I should buy and what steps I should take.
Thanks

1. Suggest that you start a new thread for your question, as it is a lot easier for those of here to follow/update
2. Before you do, please follow the links in the beginning of this thread to basic education. We will need you to try to use the proper terms - not because we're being difficult, but because precision is important so that we don't give you bad advice
3. Be as precise as possible with what you're trying to do and with what hardware you have (including service provider brand and model #). Use the third sticky as a guide.

If I were to make a wild guess, I would guess that you have Verizon DSL service and a Westell wired router. If so, there are some special issues you need to be aware of. (There are refereneces in the first post you can follow).

But let's wait unitl you post a new thread with your information before I make any further baseless guesses

rated:
Hi

Thank for your advice. However, I am in Vietnam and I think the ISP here is a little bit different. I aksed them what I should buy if I want to set up a wireless network. They answered that I already had a modem router (named Planet ADSL Modem Router), what I need now is an antenna. Confused

Truongmymy

Ps: I will try to read from the beginning again. Thanks

rated:
Obviously my guess was way off. That will teach me.

I'll look for your standalone thread. But, for some early guidance, it sounds like your DSL modem also has a built in router/DHCP server. (i.e. you can connect multiple PCs via wires)

Although you can buy a standalone Access Point (what they call an antenana), your cheapest solution is likely to be that you should buy a Wireless Router and disable DHCP. Then connect one the wireless router via one of its LAN ports to your DSL modem. (which may have multiple ports).

You can connect wired PCs to the LAN ports of the wireless router (but do not use its WAN/uplink port)

Your wireless PC will communicate to the Wireless Router which will forward information on to the DSL modem/router.

Make sure you read the security information

rated:
Hi
Thanks for your help. I see the option of disable DHCP SERVER in my Modem/Router menu. So do you mean I should disable it, or I should disable the DHCP of my wireless router?

Truong

rated:
truongmymy said: Hi
Thanks for your help. I see the option of disable DHCP SERVER in my Modem/Router menu. So do you mean I should disable it, or I should disable the DHCP of my wireless router?

Truong
You have two choices
1. Disable DHCP in the Modem/Router. Then connect the WAN/uplink port of your Wireless router to the modem/router. And connect all your devices (wired and wireless) to the wireless router
2. Disable DHCP in the wireless router. Then connect a LAN port of the wireles router to the modem/router. Then connect devices either to the LAN ports of the wireless router or the modem/router

rated:
Special Issues using a SonicWall VPN to access a corporate network

You cannot have the SonicWall VPN and your home router use the same IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.1). When this happens, your router IP address takes priority over the VPN and does not allow the computer to recognize the VPN.

The solution: Reconfigure my router IP Address to something different (e.g.) 192.168.2.x so that the conflict will be resolved.

Also, make sure you have IPSec passthrough turned on

rated:
I have a fast wired ethernet cards and would like to use them to transfer information between the computers, not the WiFi network. How do I set up both Wifi Internet link and a hard-wired link between two PCs.

Let the Wireless Router the Default Gteway for the first gigabit NIC on the first PC.
Let the Wireless Router automatically assign an IP address, subnet mask, DNS server, and Default Gteway to that NIC.

Let the Wireless Router the Default Gteway for the wireless NIC on the second PC.
Let the Wireless Router automatically assign an IP address, subnet mask, and DNS server, and Default Gteway to that NIC.

Assign a pair of static IP addresses and subnet masks (i.e. 10.0.100.1 and 10.0.100.2, both with subnet mask 255.255.255.0) to the two gigabit NICs that are connected via crossover cable. Enter nothing for the DNS server and enter nothing for the Default Gteway for these two connected NICs. You can have only one Default Gteway for a PC. And you won't need DNS services for contacting the other PC located on the same subnet.

This will make the wireless router the Default Gteway for both PCs. This will be necessary when trying to contact "foreign" IP addresses (i.e. Internet addresses). So both PCs will use the wireless router when trying to find Internet addresses.
On the other hand, when trying to find addresses on your gigabit network, the two PCs will use NetBIOS for name resolution and, since the IP addresses of the other PC is on the same subnet, should have no problem contacting the other PC via the gigabit NIC.

Note that, upon first connection, it might take a while for the NetBIOS function to get the names of the two PCs. So you might not be able to browse the other PC for a few minutes. You should be able to immediately browse it using its IP address (i.e. \\\\10.0.100.1).

Credit: RebateMonger

rated:
I am just starting with networking and am finding very useful info here. My question is a general one, so I hope it belongs here and not in a new thread.
If the wireless router and Wireless USB adapter recah different levels of security, am I correct in assuming that they can be used at the highest common standard?

I read the posts about security, does this mean that no one should be buying adapters etc. that have anything less than WPA2? Many adapters etc. that I see are only WPA, or even only WEP. Am I handing out my CC info if I use WPA?

Thanks Ellory (and the rest) for putting in so much time and effort to help educate the ignorant!

rated:
bashg1 said: I am just starting with networking and am finding very useful info here. My question is a general one, so I hope it belongs here and not in a new thread.
If the wireless router and Wireless USB adapter recah different levels of security, am I correct in assuming that they can be used at the highest common standard?

I read the posts about security, does this mean that no one should be buying adapters etc. that have anything less than WPA2? Many adapters etc. that I see are only WPA, or even only WEP. Am I handing out my CC info if I use WPA?

Thanks Ellory (and the rest) for putting in so much time and effort to help educate the ignorant!
Thanks very much (from all of us).

To answer your excellent question, WPA is, for all practical purposes, unbreakable. It, like other security does have an exposure - brute force dictionary attacks. i.e. just keep picking passwords and trying them.

To prevent this, choose a strong password. Steve Gibson's password generator site is an ideal place to get a randon password http:/www.grc.com/passwords Its one time generation, and is as close to random and strong as anything that can be generated. Because it relies on SSL encryption, the password it serves will be delivered securely to you, even over an otherwise insecure connection

And, because it prevents akami and other services from caching it, no one, even if you generated it over a public computer, can even see what you got once you close the web page, navigate to another site or refresh

And thank you for asking I've been meaning to update that information - which I just have - with more current information. The WPA2 requirement was more strong than it should be.

And, there are now emerging ways to protect yourself in public hotspots - all VPN based. None very easy yet. Public terminals should always be considered to be insecure. And, unfortunately, because most hotels use hubs, even plugging your personal compuer into a wired hotel network should be considered risky. Every packet transmitted to or from your computer is likely broadcast to every room in the hotel. A simple packet sniffer could read everything

rated:
Thank you for the swift reply.

2 more things.
1) I cannot seem to get the link to the password generator to work - it looks like it is doubled with http and https. I tried it with just https and it worked.

2) Whats the story with WPA PSK? I have searched around but the info on the web is not as clear as that posted here! Is it a separate technology, or a separate way that WPA is used? Is it compatable with regular WPA?
I am asking because I have a WPA enabled router, and I just ordered a WPA enabled card, but I see on the manufacturers site that the card is WPA-PSK enabled.

rated:
bashg1 said: Thank you for the swift reply.

2 more things.
1) I cannot seem to get the link to the password generator to work - it looks like it is doubled with http and https. I tried it with just https and it worked.
You're right. And I can't seem to fix it. FW keeps re-inserting the double http. I've just unlinked it

2) Whats the story with WPA PSK? I have searched around but the info on the web is not as clear as that posted here! Is it a separate technology, or a separate way that WPA is used? Is it compatable with regular WPA?
I am asking because I have a WPA enabled router, and I just ordered a WPA enabled card, but I see on the manufacturers site that the card is WPA-PSK enabled.
These are all different WPA options. PSK is pre-shared key and is widely prevalent. Radius requires a seperate Radius server for authentication - common only in larger businesses. Just make sure the WPA option is set the same way on all your devices and you will be fine

rated:
I need a solution to this problem.
I have a closing office in the basement, and an office upstairs on the third floor.

During closings, I needa prepare legal dox. I have a computer on my secretary's desk, but during a closing the basement closing room gets so tight and squishy that it is impractical to sit in her chair for as long as it takes to prepare the dox.

What I end up doing now is getting all of the papers I need, and running upstairs and preparing the dox at the roominess of my upstairs desk while everyone downstairs sits and waits for me. The long trek up and down can be eliminated if I do all of my doc prep downstairs. That said, I would need a solution to prepare dox at the table without:
a) wires
b) breaking the bank

There is a Brother MFC 9700 down there, used as a fax and printer for my secretary. It is connected to her machine via parallell, and has a USB connector as well. I do not think it would let me connect both at the same time for two diff devices, but I have not tried it.

If I bought a dedicated laptop with wireless capability and superdeedooper battery life (remember - no cords to trip everyone up in the confines of this squishy-sqashy room), I would then need either a wireless router that can A/B the secretary's computer and mine to the MFC 9700 or a dedicated infrared printer (remember the old HP 6P/6MP's?) that can print legal and letter sized dox without a drawer change.

How would you recommend this setup? If a router is needed, I have NO idea how to set it up. Is it easy? Thank you.

rated:
As a guide, here's one way to do this. There may be better ways, but we'll need more details to know. See the first post in this thread for additional details. Then post back with any additional questions or needs for clarification.

Best if you create a new thread when you post back. And you provide the details requested in the 3rd sticky. I apologize for taking so long to respond here, its just that we rarely look at sticky threads - really only looking at new threads. That's why its best to create a new thread

1. Buy an 802.11g wireless router. These also support wired connections. Wireless coverage is best when its centrally located. If coverage ranges are "long" and you need better range, see the posts about extending the range of a network. The router can be conneced into the internet if you need internet capability. This is not requied.

2. Depending on where you place the router, establish a wired or wireless connection between each PC /laptop and the router. You will need either an ethernet port on each device or a wireless adaptor. If you don't have one, the external USB ones are fine. If you have range issues, you may need special ones. Make sure you follow the instructions to setup WPA security

3. Establish file and printer sharing across the desired devices. See the first post on the details on how to do this.

4. As far as two printers being attached to a single computer. This should work fine. You just need to select which printer your print to at the time you print.

(Note: if your "upstairs" computer does not need to share files /printer with anything downstairs, then simply installing the router downstairs will work fine. Then you can share your laptop and the desktop files and printer)

rated:
You mentioned PAN(personal area network). I have a Brother 8220 in my office and use my wireless laptop from the bedroom all the time. How can I determine if the Brother 8220 is PAN compatible and what type of bluetooth device do I need to print from my laptop to desktop? A small little USB bluetooth device would be great and help eliminate wires.

Great thread.
Thanks.
David.

rated:
I've been trying desperately to configure a VPN server and client so that I can log on to my home network from a laptop at any hotspot.
I have XP home on both. I've followed all the instructions I could find on the web and I've configured an incoming connection at home and a vpn client on the laptop.
I've been checking for services on the westell 327w dsl/router but can't find any ports I need to forward. I just keep getting error 800 when I try to logon. Any suggestions? I'm very new to this and have spent weeks trying to understand what I'm doing.

rated:
davidaexp1 said: You mentioned PAN(personal area network). I have a Brother 8220 in my office and use my wireless laptop from the bedroom all the time. How can I determine if the Brother 8220 is PAN compatible and what type of bluetooth device do I need to print from my laptop to desktop? A small little USB bluetooth device would be great and help eliminate wires.

Great thread.
Thanks.
David.
If I recall correctly that Brother device is not network capable, rather it connects directly to another PC in your office. Therefore, the best approach is to use your WiFi network and enable printer sharing as per the steps outlined here

rated:
orangespot said: I've been trying desperately to configure a VPN server and client so that I can log on to my home network from a laptop at any hotspot.
I have XP home on both. I've followed all the instructions I could find on the web and I've configured an incoming connection at home and a vpn client on the laptop.
I've been checking for services on the westell 327w dsl/router but can't find any ports I need to forward. I just keep getting error 800 when I try to logon. Any suggestions? I'm very new to this and have spent weeks trying to understand what I'm doing.
Fabulous question. I too am concerned about security in public spots.

Unfortunately, you haven't provided the level of detail for us to know what you're working with. For the type of information that we need, see the 3rd sticky. Especially in this case, exact model and version numbers of all software and hardware. (We don't even know what VPN client you're trying to use. And, of course, unless you have a static IP address, that is an issue as well)

Without knowing what VPN software you're using, I strongly suggest you give iPIG (iOpus Private Internet Gateway) a try.. Strange name I know.

Freeware versions are available. And its been checked out by Steve Gibson as being secure (search this page for iPIG and you will the audio link as well as a transcript)

rated:
Do you guys think the bridging instructions for WRT54G (w/ Belkin 7230-4) work with other flavors of the router like:

LINKSYS WRT54GS IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless Broadband Router - Retail

LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail

Thanks in advance...



dewce said: Bridging a Linksys WRT54G and Belkin 7230-4 Wirelessly

These steps will create a wireless bridge between a WRT54G as the Gateway and a 7230-4 as an access point (AP). The AP will act as a repeater (extending the range of your wireless network), as well as an AP. The AP will also act as an ethernet bridge, so you can plug it in to an xbox or ps2 (or a computer with ethernet but no wireless) to gain access to your wireless network. I am writing this because I found many tutorials explaining how to connect two WRT54G's together, but nothing explaining how to connect a Linksys and a Belkin. After trial and error, this is what I came up with:
.....................

rated:
amateurPro2 said: Do you guys think the bridging instructions for WRT54G (w/ Belkin 7230-4) work with other flavors of the router like:

LINKSYS WRT54GS IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless Broadband Router - Retail

LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail

Thanks in advance...
Can you try this and report back your results?

rated:
I wish more people would take 3 sec. and read this stuff...I am having flashbacks to the situation of a fewmonths back.

rated:
My confusion with my printer setting is when the darn IP changes. I have my Dell network ready printer conencted to my router. It gets assigned a IP like 198.xx.xx.1. I set up my computer to Add Printer, choose network and use the address http://198.xx.xx.1 and it works fine.

Problem comes around whenever the router is rebooted (by power failure or whatever) and then I find the printer ip has changed to 198.xx.xx.4 (or some other different last digit). Then I have to delete ethe old printer and add a new one!

How do I just get it to know teh printer is now at a different IP automatically?

rated:
Why not set the printer to use a static IP address?

rated:
I know that anyone in this room has experience about router . . .
Can someone please help me? I cant configure my router ( I used CD and online) but my router didnt work.I asked the linksys service that said:
1. Make sure that the device is turned on.
2. Press and hold the reset button.
3. After 30 seconds, remove the power plug while the button is pressed.
4. Let go of the reset button and turn on the device

I did like they said but it still couldnt configure the router,can someone help me out?The first time I congigure online that router work out very well.I had this problem after I log into the website http://192.168.1.1 .Thank you very much for your helping
By the way :My router: Linksys wireless B
Model : BEFW11S4 ver.4

rated:
mthlh said: I know that anyone in this room has experience about router . . .
Can someone please help me? I cant configure my router ( I used CD and online) but my router didnt work.I asked the linksys service that said:
1. Make sure that the device is turned on.
2. Press and hold the reset button.
3. After 30 seconds, remove the power plug while the button is pressed.
4. Let go of the reset button and turn on the device

I did like they said but it still couldnt configure the router,can someone help me out?The first time I congigure online that router work out very well.I had this problem after I log into the website http://192.168.1.1 .Thank you very much for your helping
By the way :My router: Linksys wireless B
Model : BEFW11S4 ver.4
As requested in the OP of this post, please create a new thread describing your problem.

Please make sure you include the information requested in the 3rd sticky. Also, please describe the configuration issue your are having as it appears you can logon to the router

rated:
Since ellory mentioned WPA, i thought mentioning Winsnort might also be a good idea. What is WinSnort?

WinSnort monitors packets on the network wire and attempts to discover an intruder by matching the attack pattern to a database of known attack patterns. A typical example is looking for a large number of TCP connection requests (SYN) to many different ports on a target machine, thus discovering if someone is attempting a TCP port scan. A network intrusion detection system sniffs network traffic, by promiscuously watching all network traffic.

For all the naive folks out there who think WiFi is "secure"....LOL....Time to learn the truth. Anyone with the right hardware and a few hours can HACK YOUR CONNECTION & gain access to your PC.

Don't let it happen. Learn how to protect yourself.

rated:
Anyone know how to share Outlook messages over a wireless home network (just one PC and one lappy with a wireless router) so messages are updated on both 'puters in real-time and can be checked from either one?

rated:
Move your address book and email folders to a shared directory and point both email clients at the shared directory. How you do this varies by email client (Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora, THunderbird, etc)

Note that most / many of these programs are not designed for this, so only one client should be running at a time to avoid data corruption issues. I know Eudora does a rudimentary check, but that check flag can become corrupted if a client abnormally terminates

rated:
I ran into some problems when trying to allow a Mac laptop to use my Netgear router so I thought I would share a little knowledge.

I guess it's a well known issue, but for a variety of third party routers, when entering the password on the Mac you need to include a "$" sign before the password.

rated:
I am having trouble connecting to my wireless network with with the Dell wireless 1500 Draft N card. I'm using the Verizon Versalink 327w modem/router, and configured it according to the setup given earlier in the post, as well as resetted/rebooted everything multiple times. I am able to detect the wireless network, yet can never connect even without wep security code. It doesn't work when i'm using microsoft wireless config or the Dell wlan card utility. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

I have an inspiron e1505 with Dell draft n + bluetooth if you need that.

arc

rated:
arcane said: I am having trouble connecting to my wireless network with with the Dell wireless 1500 Draft N card. I'm using the Verizon Versalink 327w modem/router, and configured it according to the setup given earlier in the post, as well as resetted/rebooted everything multiple times. I am able to detect the wireless network, yet can never connect even without wep security code. It doesn't work when i'm using microsoft wireless config or the Dell wlan card utility. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

I have an inspiron e1505 with Dell draft n + bluetooth if you need that.

arc
I see you started a thead on the subject here

rated:
favre04 said: I ran into some problems when trying to allow a Mac laptop to use my Netgear router so I thought I would share a little knowledge.

I guess it's a well known issue, but for a variety of third party routers, when entering the password on the Mac you need to include a "$" sign before the password.
Are you talking about the router password? Or the WPA key? Or a particular verison of MAC OS?

I have seen neither as an issue with a MAC Book Pro and Linksys router

rated:
ellory said: favre04 said: I ran into some problems when trying to allow a Mac laptop to use my Netgear router so I thought I would share a little knowledge.

I guess it's a well known issue, but for a variety of third party routers, when entering the password on the Mac you need to include a "$" sign before the password.
Are you talking about the router password? Or the WPA key? Or a particular verison of MAC OS?

I have seen neither as an issue with a MAC Book Pro and Linksys router


The WEP key needed the $ preceding the passphrase. I am not familiar with their laptop, or Mac's in general. I just noticed how old the post was, so maybe it's no longer an issue with newer Mac's or newer NG routers.

Here's one forum post Link
gsparks
One hint about NetGear wireless connectivity... if you're using WEP password protection, be sure to add the dollar sign symbol "$" as the first character in the Mac's password field (not in the router). For whatever reason, this happens with NetGear and a few other third party vendors. There's an Apple knowledgebase document about it, too...


http://docs.info.Apple.com/article.html?artnum=300153

rated:
favre04 said: ellory said: favre04 said: I ran into some problems when trying to allow a Mac laptop to use my Netgear router so I thought I would share a little knowledge.

I guess it's a well known issue, but for a variety of third party routers, when entering the password on the Mac you need to include a "$" sign before the password.
Are you talking about the router password? Or the WPA key? Or a particular verison of MAC OS?

I have seen neither as an issue with a MAC Book Pro and Linksys router


The WEP key needed the $ preceding the passphrase. I am not familiar with their laptop, or Mac's in general. I just noticed how old the post was, so maybe it's no longer an issue with newer Mac's or newer NG routers.

Here's one forum post Link
gsparks
One hint about NetGear wireless connectivity... if you're using WEP password protection, be sure to add the dollar sign symbol "$" as the first character in the Mac's password field (not in the router). For whatever reason, this happens with NetGear and a few other third party vendors. There's an Apple knowledgebase document about it, too...


http://docs.info.Apple.com/article.html?artnum=300153
Interesting. Note, though, the WEP is not secure, and only WPA or another secure authentication mechanism with a strong password should be used

rated:
ellory said: Interesting. Note, though, the WEP is not secure, and only WPA or another secure authentication mechanism with a strong password should be used

This was a short-term set up for company while they were visiting. I don't know if they had a WPA option on their side.

rated:
Hi, I've a Belkin F5D7230-4 v. 2000 Wireless G Router. It stops working ever since I moved to verizon dsl.

Currently, I've the desktop computer, Belkin Router and the Verizon Westell 6100 modem hooked up and my wired network is working OK. However, the wireless network isn't working at all.
1) My wireless network is not showing up in Network Connections.
2) I also can't access http://192.168.2.1 (the Belkin web config page).

I called Belkin and they asked for my Gateway address (192.168.1.1). Then the Belkin CSR said something about the Verizon modem is not giving the signal "2" and said I've to call Verizon to resolve it. Well, with Verizon 1800 number, I can't reach anyone helpful.

I already checked the Belkin thread and the Westell vs. Linksys thread but still can't solve the problem. Any advice please???

When I signed up for verizon dsl, they did have another option to get the DSL modem/wireless router from them, but the monthly fee was more expensive which I didn't think make sense. Could they be doing something on my modem to not let me use my own wireless router?

rated:
mellotune said: Could they be doing something on my modem to not let me use my own wireless router?No.

Please post back in a new thread and provide all the information requested in the 3rd sticky. And, if the Gateway address is 192.168.1.1, then that is the address you need to use to access the Belkin admin page

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014