• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 123 4 5
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Just noticed that this sticky has over 30,000 views. Almost 50 satisfied (I hope) customers per day.

rated:
ellory said: Is wireless safe? What should I worry about?

With a strong password, WPA can be viewed as secure. WEP should only be viewed as enough to stop casual eavesdropping. If you use WEP you should expect that if someone wants your data, that they can get it.

WPA is, for all practical purposes, unbreakable. It, like other security does have an exposure - brute force dictionary attacks. i.e. just keep picking passwords and trying them.

To prevent this, choose a strong password. Steve Gibson's password generator site is an ideal place to get a randon password https://www.grc.com/passwords Its one time generation, and is as close to random and strong as anything that can be generated. Because it relies on SSL encryption, the password it serves will be delivered securely to you, even over an otherwise insecure connection

And, because it prevents akami and other services from caching it, no one, even if you generated it over a public computer, can even see what you got once you close the web page, navigate to another site or refresh

If you use your wireless network at home, or at the office, and it is set up as discussed earlier (WPA security; router password; unique SSID ) then you can consider wireless safe enough for financial transactions.

However, when connecting to an unknown access point or a public hot spot, you should only consider information secure if you are using corporate VPN security which sets up a secure end-to-end tunnel

Absent VPN tunnels, from a public hot spot, or unknown access point, do not perform any financial transactions. Do not access anything that requires a password that you would not freely hand out on the street

Even secure websites (those with the little "key / locked" icon) are vulnerable to attacks. For example a Man-In-The-Middle attack coupled with an Evil Twin Access Point can compromise even otherwise secure websites

I've got WEP 64 bit encryption between my wireless router and my computer. I believe my router is enabled for dynamic SSID. My question is: Am I safe to use this kind of connection for online banking and paying for stuff online with a credit card? I'm not on all the time for this and I always noticed that the lock always appears in the lower right hand corner for my sites. Thanks in advance.

rated:
I recently purchased a Brother 5250DN network printer. My desktop unit is attached to my router which is attached to the printer. I can print great from two wireless laptops and usually the desktop. Here lies the problem... If the desktop has been on for 6-7 hoours and I attempt to print, the info is sent to the printer but it never wakes up to print (it does from the laptops). If I reboot the system, it will not print (the icon just remains in the taskbar). I end up going into printers and faxes and deleting the printer and the port and rebooting. I then reinstall the printer and creat a new tcp/ip port (192.168.0.6, which the printer confirms is the correct port). It works fine for 5 or so hours even if both the computer and printer are sleeping. But let it go to 6-7 hours and it seems to have a time limit or something becasue it will not print. I have called brother and was even transferred to upper level tech support. It is working when they hang up so they blame it on a firewall. I have NO firewall installed except the windows one and i even tried disabling that and the problem continues. Can anyone help to get this up and running part the 6 hour mark?

Is it possible to hook this up to the printer by way of a usb cable and still use the laptops via the wirelss ethernet route???

This couldn't have anything to do with my router would it (I am guessing no because it works with the laptops). I have a netgear router.

rated:
I would start by checking for updated Brother print driver software

rated:
default password list for many routers: http://www.phenoelit.de/dpl/dpl.html

rated:
Just read through this whole thing again, stickys and all. Glad to see you corrected the WPA-PSK section. (Was a little "paranoic" before Still a lot of good stuff. Also read through Verizon's Westell link...geeze...nine screens of stuff to basically tell you to turn off the router side of the Westell (effectively making it a bridge) and use the Linksys as the router. Well...I guess it's good to be complete Again...a useful resource. Thanks ellory

rated:
skmerrow....this might be totally out of whack, but how are you assigning an address to the printer? Could dhcp lease be expiring and thus not valid later? Would take a long time to expire normally but I have seen them adjusted to 6-7 hours at some customer sites..not sure why. Anyway, try assigning a static address and reserving that address in your dhcp configuration to eliminate conflicts. And if I understand correctly, you CAN connect the printer usb to your desktop and still be able to print wirelessly from the laptops. Just share the printer on the network after you get it running on the desktop. Desktop wopuld have to be on though, and you wouldnt really need the network part of the printer.

rated:
Banshai said: skmerrow....this might be totally out of whack, but how are you assigning an address to the printer? Could dhcp lease be expiring and thus not valid later? Would take a long time to expire normally but I have seen them adjusted to 6-7 hours at some customer sites..not sure why. Anyway, try assigning a static address and reserving that address in your dhcp configuration to eliminate conflicts. And if I understand correctly, you CAN connect the printer usb to your desktop and still be able to print wirelessly from the laptops. Just share the printer on the network after you get it running on the desktop. Desktop wopuld have to be on though, and you wouldnt really need the network part of the printer.

I was able to share the printer when the DESKTOP was turned on. But since I purchased a network printer it was not the way I wanted to use it. I spent an extra hundred to save a little energy and get a network, duplex printer, which now works BTW. The problem seemed to be one small problem. In the printer and faxes menu - under print- the use printer offline line item was checked. When I removed the check it now works. 3 calls to Brother highest level of tech support and they couldn't fix it. One check mark removed and it now works (and works great BTW).

rated:
I have updated the OP with a 1 liner saying not to upgrade router firmware via wireless

rated:
Good Da Ellroy. Nice to see you back on the thread now that your settled downunder.

rated:
This is a great guide! Thanks

rated:
ellory said: Is wireless safe? What should I worry about?

With a strong password, WPA can be viewed as secure. WEP should only be viewed as enough to stop casual eavesdropping. If you use WEP you should expect that if someone wants your data, that they can get it.

WPA is, for all practical purposes, unbreakable. It, like other security does have an exposure - brute force dictionary attacks. i.e. just keep picking passwords and trying them.

To prevent this, choose a strong password. Steve Gibson's password generator site is an ideal place to get a randon password https://www.grc.com/passwords Its one time generation, and is as close to random and strong as anything that can be generated. Because it relies on SSL encryption, the password it serves will be delivered securely to you, even over an otherwise insecure connection

And, because it prevents akami and other services from caching it, no one, even if you generated it over a public computer, can even see what you got once you close the web page, navigate to another site or refresh

If you use your wireless network at home, or at the office, and it is set up as discussed earlier (WPA security; router password; unique SSID ) then you can consider wireless safe enough for financial transactions.

However, when connecting to an unknown access point or a public hot spot, you should only consider information secure if you are using corporate VPN security which sets up a secure end-to-end tunnel

Absent VPN tunnels, from a public hot spot, or unknown access point, do not perform any financial transactions. Do not access anything that requires a password that you would not freely hand out on the street

Even secure websites (those with the little "key / locked" icon) are vulnerable to attacks. For example a Man-In-The-Middle attack coupled with an Evil Twin Access Point can compromise even otherwise secure websites

Your view on WPA being unbreakable is incorrect. Kismet, an open source Linux based wireless sniffing program used by the FBI and hackers alike, can find hidden SSID's, identify physical location of routers using GPS, and can pretty much identify any non-government wireless protocol network. When coupled with Airopeek or Aircrack, keys to any wireless network can be determined if the network stays up long enough.

But your other advice is fairly sound. Rule of thumb is, if someone wants to get to your data/information, they can. Your job is to make it as hard as possible for them.

rated:
Hi...
I've some problem here...I've setup the Internet Connection Sharing for my home network.. The LAN works juz fine as well as the internet connection sharing..Now i got one pc that connect directly to the internet broadband..a desktop that uses linksys usb wifi adapter, two laptops that has wifi built in..all those can already get the internet connection ...

The main computer uses the Wireless-G ADSL Gateway Linksys..and i've done the setting to allow another computer to connect to internet through this computer...

The problem here is ... I need to secure my internet connection..when i use the setting of ICS all other computer within range can access to my broadband line... so how do secure my connection?? Do i need to use certain firewall or windows already provide the function?? If so could you possibly show me the step by step of how to do it...Thanks in advance...

rated:
diana253 said: Hi...
I've some problem here...I've setup the Internet Connection Sharing for my home network.. The LAN works juz fine as well as the internet connection sharing..Now i got one pc that connect directly to the internet broadband..a desktop that uses linksys usb wifi adapter, two laptops that has wifi built in..all those can already get the internet connection ...

The main computer uses the Wireless-G ADSL Gateway Linksys..and i've done the setting to allow another computer to connect to internet through this computer...

The problem here is ... I need to secure my internet connection..when i use the setting of ICS all other computer within range can access to my broadband line... so how do secure my connection?? Do i need to use certain firewall or windows already provide the function?? If so could you possibly show me the step by step of how to do it...Thanks in advance...
1. Please post your question in a seperate thread.

2. Please read the third sticky and post with the requested information

3. Don't use ICS. For the price and stability, just use a connection directly to your router and use that to share your broadband connection

rated:

Two year anniversary for this thread

rated:
ellory said:

Two year anniversary for this thread

Shamless post.

Btw, I don't agree with your views on upgrading the router's firmware. I have always found improved performance and stability with the newest firmware. Also, I never had a problem with the Windows Zero Configuration utility. It works great.

rated:
I said not to upgrade firmware over a wireless connection. As far as WZC, there are many known issues. If it works for you great, but there are many threads here where wireless connectivity problems were resolved when WZC was replaced with the mfr utility

rated:
EDIT: sorry delete post accidently ask a question here

rated:
If anyone ever has questions about setting up a Westell modem (either the 2200 or 6100) with the new Airport Extreme n router, you have two options:

1) to have the modem configured to do the ISP negotiation. Your ISP password and username need to be entered into the MODEM - If you do this, your Airport Extreme will connect to WAN using Ethernet.

2) to have the modem in bridging mode (doing nothing) - and your Airport Extreme will connect to WAN using PPPoE. Your ISP Password and Username are entered into the PPPoE box on the Airport Extreme.

If you just want to get up and running you can configure the AEBSn differently (I did this temporarily until I figured out the other way).

Under AirPort Utility>Manual Setup>Internet:

1) Set Connect Using: Ethernet

2) Set Configure IPv4: Using DHCP (You might want to change this to a manual IP address later.)

3) Set Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)

Unfortunately, I had to piece together the "knowledge" of 3 different Apple geniuses to get it to work. None of them knew much of anything about the Westell modems.

rated:
bought some buffalo whr-g54s to replace a netgear 614s. With the netgear, I never had problems with dropped connections. I put in the buffalo, my Wired (and only wired, wireless is fine) drops about every 24 hours or so.

Tried Buffalo 1.4 firmware drops at about 24 hours
Tried DD-WRT sp2 and sp3 in all the mini, micro and standard varieties drops every 12-24 hours
Am now using Tomato. this went 36 hours before the PC Connection dropped.

Usually, it's after periods of inactivity that does it. I would need to reboot my wired PC. repairs, disable/enable and ipconfig /renew does nothing.

ADSL Modem (speedstream 5100b) with PPPOE on the modem.

Router is running no security and disabled ssid - temporary setup until I can find out how this can be remedied

Also, I do run BT but not heavily.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help

rated:
bobes said: bought some buffalo whr-g54s to replace a netgear 614s. With the netgear, I never had problems with dropped connections. I put in the buffalo, my Wired (and only wired, wireless is fine) drops about every 24 hours or so.

Tried Buffalo 1.4 firmware drops at about 24 hours
Tried DD-WRT sp2 and sp3 in all the mini, micro and standard varieties drops every 12-24 hours
Am now using Tomato. this went 36 hours before the PC Connection dropped.

Usually, it's after periods of inactivity that does it. I would need to reboot my wired PC. repairs, disable/enable and ipconfig /renew does nothing.

ADSL Modem (speedstream 5100b) with PPPOE on the modem.

Router is running no security and disabled ssid - temporary setup until I can find out how this can be remedied

Also, I do run BT but not heavily.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help
Reinstall the netgear router that didn't drop connections

rated:
Bump to keep active

rated:
I just had OPTIMUM ONLINE installed (Cablevision in Long Island) for my Dell Windos XP Home PC.

Bought a wireless router and wireless USB Adapter and hooked it up my other PC (Runs Windows Vista).

Still cant seem to get the Vista PC to pick up the host pc for an Internet connection.

I'm a novice when it comes with Home Networking and appreciate any help.

Please reply here or PM me.

Thanks.

rated:
derekjet99 said: I just had OPTIMUM ONLINE installed (Cablevision in Long Island) for my Dell Windos XP Home PC.

Bought a wireless router and wireless USB Adapter and hooked it up my other PC (Runs Windows Vista).

Still cant seem to get the Vista PC to pick up the host pc for an Internet connection.

I'm a novice when it comes with Home Networking and appreciate any help.

Please reply here or PM me.

Thanks.
Please post in a new thread as requested in the OP. When you do, please clearly describe your configuration. (I can' tell what terms like "other PC" mean and what devices are connected to what

rated:
I couldn't find an Internet Connection Sharing guide ... my Nforce 2 board has 2 ethernet inputs and i believe it can be used as a passthrough for internet for another connected computer ... yet the 2nd computer never works via the normal ethernet cable.

Do I need a crossover cable?

rated:
PhilMcCoy said: I couldn't find an Internet Connection Sharing guide ... my Nforce 2 board has 2 ethernet inputs and i believe it can be used as a passthrough for internet for another connected computer ... yet the 2nd computer never works via the normal ethernet cable.

Do I need a crossover cable?
As requested in the OP of this sticky, please create your own thread for your question. Please provide the details requested in the 3rd sticky. (Meanwhile, just buy a router)

rated:
FYI - The Vista link is out of date. This is what I found searching "file sharing & vista" on the Microsoft site. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

rated:
bargainbtch said: FYI - The Vista link is out of date. This is what I found searching "file sharing & vista" on the Microsoft site. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

Hmm. The link I used is that one. Can you show me which specific post?

rated:
Ah, my Belkin router only did Wireless for the first time, once I restarted it. It wasn't in the manual or online thing that you have to this. Must have taken me 2 years & I only figured it out cause I saw someone mention it on the net.

rated:
Hey, great thread. Found it very helpful. The WiFi life, with all its cordlessness, has been quite fun for me. Using a laptop from a cafe and such. I found one thing kind of troubling though, and that was the length of the WiFi range. I wanted to extend it, and found this video which was quite informative and I wanted to share it with you - http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Make-a-WIFI-Extender-10200

rated:
I've got one...

I'm running a wireless repeater to extend my network coverage. The router and the repeater are running WDS and see each other fine as WDS nodes. However, when a wireless client connects to the repeater, it can't get an IP address from the DHCP of the main router.

Anyone know why?

THANKS!

rated:
kingjer said: I've got one...

I'm running a wireless repeater to extend my network coverage. The router and the repeater are running WDS and see each other fine as WDS nodes. However, when a wireless client connects to the repeater, it can't get an IP address from the DHCP of the main router.

Anyone know why?

THANKS!
As requested in the OP, please post in a new thread, so as to leave this one uncluttered. Be sure to include the details requested in the third sticky

rated:
ellory said: As requested in the OP, please post in a new thread, so as to leave this one uncluttered. Be sure to include the details requested in the third stickyHe did and got an answer, he forgot to delete this request.

rated:
Suggested revision:
ellory said: # 802.11a devices are compatible, regardless of brand, and run up to 54 mbps
# 802.11b devices are compatible, regardless of brand, and run up to 11 mbps
# 802.11g devices are compatible, regardless of brand, and are backward compatible with all brands of 802.11b hardware, and run at up to 54 mbps

Speeds are up to the maximum rated speed, but wireless devices may negotiate lower speeds to reduce bit error rates.

802.11b is 11 mbps rather than 10 mbps.

rated:
For those having problems configuring their home network, I highly recommend Network Magic which is occasionaly Free After Rebate @ Frys.com.

http://www.networkmagic.com/

rated:
How do I protect my PCs if I share my network with others?

va1234 said: Hi,

I have few years old Netgear(MR814 V2) router i use to my both the laptops. I have nothing else on my network. Now i am planning to rent my basement offering them access to my wireless. Obviously i have some concerns and want to do the best i could to protect my systems from intrusion.

--> Currently i set my router not to broadcast but enable access point.
--> I did setup the WEP encryption of 64 to automatic
--> Given the above configuration i will have no choice but to add their system to my wireless access list and provide them with the key
--> Motorola internet cable modem

Questions:
Once i provide the wireless access what kind of access can they gain in to my laptops? Is it possible thru router or by hijacking / hacking my modem or router?
What kind of protection should i take on my laptops, which are running on XP SP2
I also have Norton internet security (and other services like intrusion i think) in both of them.
Are the latest routers more secure for my given need or just updating the any firmware updates would be sufficient?

Appreciate what all steps i should take to cover my systems.

Also may be a stupid question: I have a cable outlet in the basement. Is it possible to setup a new router in the basement just for them while we use the outlet above to setup my router?

drodge said: If you allow them to connect to your router, they will have free reign to try to access any of the computers on your network. They don't have to "hijack" anything, they are on the network already. I don't really know of a consumer grade router that's going to be able to completely isolate you from them. What you can do is set up a triangular network. This requires 3 routers in total. You connect one router, preferably wired (or a wirelesss with the wireless disabled), to the modem as you have now. Then connect the other 2 routers to the first router, running from their WAN ports to two of the LAN ports on the first router. Give each router a different SSID and WPA key. That will allow them to connect to one of the routers, while having no access at all to any of the machines on the second router. This is the most secure setup you could have in this situation.

If you don't want to do that, all you can do is protect the machines you have. Enable firewalls on each machine, keep the OS and all applications patched, enable the host based firewall features present in Norton, and make sure you don't have any shares on the systems. Unless the person is really computer savy, that would stop most people.

If you have another outlet, you could set up another cable modem. You can do that, but it means paying for another account. The 3 router setup will be much cheaper.

Also, get rid of the 64 bit WEP ASAP. It's barely one step above no security at all. It will literally take someone about 2 minutes to break that WEP key. Update the firmware on your routers if necessary, but start using WPA.

rated:
WPA-AES or WPA2-AES not TKIP not TKIP+AES.

if you are techie; check out the WRT600N refurb about $100 and you can run DD-WRT. 6 antenna dual radio (2.4 and 5ghz) broadcom based (means it will always have DD-WRT support).

probably one of the best dual radio dual band routers that exists right now since it runs solid with DD-WRT.

rated:
TKIP is still secure

rated:
I want to buy a network (although not wireless) printer. I currently have a netgear WGR614 V4 router that I use for my three laptops throughout the house. I have two printers now attached to my desktop and I can access them using the laptops. My desk area is getting very crowded and I don't think my spuse will be happy with a new printer. (I want the new printer as a stand alone copier, fax, etc.). I have been told that since the new printer is not wireless I need a bridge to run it if not attached to my computer.

Will simply getting a new router work? Do I need the router and a bridge? How do I set this up?

rated:
skmerrow said: I want to buy a network (although not wireless) printer. I currently have a netgear WGR614 V4 router that I use for my three laptops throughout the house. I have two printers now attached to my desktop and I can access them using the laptops. My desk area is getting very crowded and I don't think my spuse will be happy with a new printer. (I want the new printer as a stand alone copier, fax, etc.). I have been told that since the new printer is not wireless I need a bridge to run it if not attached to my computer.

Will simply getting a new router work? Do I need the router and a bridge? How do I set this up?
You need either
1. A printer with build in wireless capability
2. A network capable printer with build in wired ethernet and a wireless bridge
3. A network capable printer with build in wired ethernet and a router flashed with tomato or dd-wrt and configured as a bridge
4. A standard USB printer and a wireless print server (although many features like fax, low ink warnings, etc, may not work)

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014