• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 1234 5
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
ellory said: skmerrow said: I want to buy a network (although not wireless) printer. I currently have a netgear WGR614 V4 router that I use for my three laptops throughout the house. I have two printers now attached to my desktop and I can access them using the laptops. My desk area is getting very crowded and I don't think my spuse will be happy with a new printer. (I want the new printer as a stand alone copier, fax, etc.). I have been told that since the new printer is not wireless I need a bridge to run it if not attached to my computer.

Will simply getting a new router work? Do I need the router and a bridge? How do I set this up?
You need either
1. A printer with build in wireless capability
2. A network capable printer with build in wired ethernet and a wireless bridge
3. A network capable printer with build in wired ethernet and a router flashed with tomato or dd-wrt and configured as a bridge
4. A standard USB printer and a wireless print server (although many features like fax, low ink warnings, etc, may not work)

I bought a Asus WL-520gu. So if I flash with tomato it will work as a bridge. Where do I choose bridge setup?

rated:

rated:
Nice work. Thanks

rated:
I hope this is the right place to post......I bought a Brother 490 wireless printer with the intent of having it in a closet
in my office rather than on my desk. I have two laptops downstairs that should no no problem connecting to it but what of my desktop? Is the installation of a wireless card or adapter all I need for it to work with the wireless or should I just go ahead and get a long (15') network cable to reach the closet?

rated:
If the printer has a wireless card in it you do not need a cable to connect it, though you should check the manual about initial setup. Some require a cable to be connected at first, to get the setup info about your network, after which they can go wireless.
I'm not sure what you are asking about your desktop. If it is on the same network as the laptops (and printer) already it will be able to access the printer whether it is connected via wire or wireless.

rated:
Do you have a local wireless network (router), or are each of the laptops hitting the printer directly? If you have a router, you should be able to configure your printer to attach to the network that way, and any computer on the network should be able to print to it. I would assume your desktop is wired to the router.

If you have no network/router, then yes, you would need a wireless card/wireless USB adapter of some kind to connect to the printer.

rated:
NICE

rated:
This page was last updated in 2008

So what's the current thing to have for a router? Is 54Mbps still the norm? What has the most range?

rated:
Hi,

I went through the entire thread and the stickies. I still need to know how to setup the wireless network below (if I missed how to do this somewhere, please do not flame but let me know where it is. thanks)

What I Have:

Single Family Home:

Top Floor

Westell ADSL winriver Wireless Verizon Modem , Model # 327W connected to Verizon Network to the internet.

connected to this router on one of the LAN ports via Ethernet cable is Zyxel P330W wireless Router. The Zyxel Router is active.

Middle Floor:

Nothing

Basement:

PC1 : Dell Desktop Optiplex GX1 running Windows 2K pro. It has twinmos (www.twinmos.com) G240 USB Stick. (it is old and I do not think it can support 802.11g but I have no way of checking it....)

PC2: Compaq Presario 7120US, running Windows 2k pro.

What I want to do:

Upgarde the P330w to the latest firmware upgrades.

I want to take the two desktops and hook them up to the Zyxel P330 W wireless router in the basement. Then turn the Zyxel wireless Router into a client mode or make is like an access point and make it connect upstairs Verizon Wletell 327W wireless router to get high speed internet for the desktop computers.

This may seem very basic or trivial to many here but to me it is not. So please be kind and explain steps and no flames please.

Thank you in advance.

rated:
wale said: This page was last updated in 2008

So what's the current thing to have for a router? Is 54Mbps still the norm? What has the most range?

i heard in a magazine published november 2009 that wireless n is the best now since its been ratified. "If u looking to buy networking gear, buy a 11n gear!"

the problem is my favorite vendor still claims that their wireless g products are superior to their n products.

so Im sitting on the fence as to which flavor to buy

i guess i should just wait a while longer to see which triumphs as the king (best seller model) later.

rated:
802.11G can not smoke 802.11N. If you were going to do a backup creating an image of your drive C:. Which was 7GB if you did that wireless to Gig server it's going to take 45 to 50 minutes to transfer the data. If you did that over 802.11N it would be 15 to 30 minutes. That's one way to put it for now for 802.11N. But for 802.11N to be ideal you would need to buy 10/100/1000 router don't get 10/100 router for 802.11N. This is where most users don't understand why 802.11N seems not perform well with 10/100 router. 10/100 router would be more ideal for 802.11G.

Most 802.11N can cover the entire dwelling depending on your square foot coverage. Some of the older 802.11G with high power amp could cover 5,000 square feet like Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 if you use the DD-WRT firmware instead of the stock one. Belkin N+ rated to cover 1,200 feet, but that depend on your age of your home with you had all drywall then you could get better coverage. If you home was older then your going to need two Belkin N+ since they have a feature to put in access point only mode. I place both in the same channel and same SSID. This way where ever I go from the basement family to second floor my 802.11N signal is strong in RSSI measurement. Also never put 802.11G and 802.11N on the same router or access point. You should keep them off and just run 802.11N on one and 802.11G on another device. Since 802.11N would loose throughput with 802.11G clients.

rated:
My husband is having trouble connecting to his office VPN from home on his work laptop (wireless). We have a Buffalo WHR-G54S router with Tomato v1.25 firmware. We've tried various settings and port openings, and tried putting his computer in the DMZ, but he cannot connect. He can connect to the VPN if he uses a wire directly out of the modem, before the router. He can connect to the (non-VPN) internet on the computer over the wireless connection. The only answer he got from the IT people at work is that he needs to have "GRE Protocol 46 or 47 or something like that"

Is it the firmware? What settings would work or would DD-WRT be better? Or is it the router?
He thinks buying a Linksys-g router would fix the problem (his answer is always to "buy a new one").

rated:

rated:
My current single band Wireless-N Gigabit router is beginning to act a little flakey, so I'm looking at replacing it with a dual band router, provided that I am thinking correctly about how the dual band router can work. So here goes...

I am looking at setting up the dual band router so the few 802.11g devices I have in the house can access the 2.4 MHz band, and my 802.11n devices will access the 5 GHz band. My understanding of this is that I will not see a network slowdown due to mixing in the slower wireless-G devices in with the faster wireless-N devices. Will the router work this way and is my understanding of things correct?

Just a heads up, I have AT&T's uVerse with their Gigabit router/modem at the front end. The Wireless-G radio on that router is turned off. My TV's are connected to that router for IPTV via both Gigabit Ethernet and coax, and they all need to be on the same network for my DVR sharing to work correctly. My Wireless-N router is connected to the AT&T modem/router in a DMZ, and provides Gigabit Ethernet to the wired devices in the house (Whole house is wired for Ethernet.), and Wireless-N capability to my laptops and iPhone's in the house.

The laptop and netbook are both Wireless-N, while the iPhone's are both Wireless-G. Cellular coverage is really crappy where I live, so I really need to have the iPhone's connected to the router while I'm at home. I guess I could also just turn off the 2.4 MHz band on the new dual band router and have the Wireless-G devices connect via the AT&T router/modem, and the Wireless-N devices connect via the new router. If that would work, are there any good single band 5 GHz router's out there that would be less expensive than a dual band router? The router I am looking to get is Netgear’s Rangemax WNDR3700.

rated:
It is quite possible that your wireless router is going bad. I would suggest you create a new post about this so people will see it and can try to help you.

rated:
I read the above post but I still have a basic Question

How can I make both of my printers wireless (1 Brother HL-2140 and 1 HP Laserjet 1018), I don't have Internet in my appartment, would a router such as what Verizon offers now for 10 dollars work? and if yes how?

Thanks

rated:
Please post this question in a new thread

rated:
Does anyone know the answer to this, I have been trying very hard to search from this thread and google but cant seem to find the answer.

I have a Wireless Access Point that I am sharing with a friend from upstairs. However, I want to set up my own private network but wanting to use his WAP as my internet provider so I can surf the web.

FRIEND's CABLE MODEM -> FRIEND'S ROUTER/WAP -----> SOME DEVICE TO CAPTURE THIS WAP -> MY OWN PRIVATE NETWORK

What do I need to have to capture that wireless signal and then share it amongst my own private network of wired computers and possibly wireless laptops?

Any help is highly appreciated.

rated:
1. Post in a new thread
2. You need a bridge
3. Include details requested in first sticky
4. You need a bridge.
5. Define what you mean by private
6. Why can't your wireless laptops just connect to your friends network
7. A router is not the same as a WAP. Which is it

rated:
What is the difference between BRIDGE and Bridge Repeater?

rated:
Very simplified explanation... A bridge connects two networks. A repeater extends signal on one network.

rated:
hmmm. did all the stickies lose their stickiness?

rated:
They did. As the FW mods explained it to me, a Y2K+11 problem

And there is currently no known fix

rated:
nice! Maybe the stickies all depend on iPhone alarms

rated:
minidrag said:    Maybe the stickies all depend on iPhone alarms Nice!

rated:
delete

rated:
Hoping someone can help. Having problems printing to two network printers.

The devices...
- D-Link Wireless Router DIR-655 connected to Clearwire modem/service
- Linksys WET54G wireless bridge
- 4 port hub (not sure of manufacturer)
- Okidata c610 color laserjet printer
- HP Laserjet 5 laserjet printer
- 2 desktops and 1 laptop wirelessly connected to the network

Both printers are set to static IP addresses. Both connect via ethernet cable to the hub. Hub connects via ethernet cable to the switch. Switch communicates with the network using wireless G standard.

If both printers are powered on and moments later the hub powered on then printing is a snap. No problems. After both printers go to sleep, can't print. Even after waking both printers up manually, still can't print. It's as if both printers have vanished off the network.

When the hub/printer combo is connected via ethernet cable directly to the router (no switch), both printers print just fine. They wake and print normally in that situation. Only when I throw in the bridge does the problem occur.

Any ideas/suggestions?

rated:
Please copy your question and make it a new topic. Nobody looks at this one for questions, it's just for reference.

rated:
I don't know if this is a right place to ask my question!! Sorry if it is not okay.

My wireless router broke yesterday (Belkin N150) I'm planning to buy the same one again. Should i for the same or anything better than that? Please help.

rated:
penelope31 said:   I don't know if this is a right place to ask my question!! Sorry if it is not okay.

My wireless router broke yesterday (Belkin N150) I'm planning to buy the same one again. Should i for the same or anything better than that? Please help.
Please post your question in a new thread. This one is used for reference

rated:
Hi,
I am using Verizon wireless. Recently, after install CounterSpy and Mcfee personal firewall,but a problem occurs that was my pc anti virus.
---------------------
animation notes

rated:
albionjack said:   Hi,
I am using Verizon wireless. Recently, after install CounterSpy and Mcfee personal firewall,but a problem occurs that was my pc anti virus.

Please post your question in a new thread. This one is used for reference

rated:
that is awesome

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014