3 PC wireless network setup problem

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
johnstexas, I am answering in a new thread in order to make your trouble easier to track and manage

johnstexas said: [Q]This is a very informative post, but doesn't explain how to do some things, like:

[Q]7. Configure PPPoE with logon/password for DSL or DHCP for cable modem
8. Enable IPSec Passthrough if you need to connect to a VPN at the office

I am trying to set up a network consisting of 3 computers. Here is what we have:

SBC Yahoo! DSL
Speedstream(?) Cable Modem
Netgear WGR614 Router
Computer 1 (Linkworld) is a custom-built PC with K7S5A Pro mobo (includes NIC), Athlon 2000+, etc.
Computer 2 (GQ) is a GQ computer from Fry's with NIC built in. There is also a Syntax USB adapter connected to it.
Computer 3 (eMachines) is an eMachines T1090. Also has a Siemens Speedstream USB network adapter. No NIC.

Linkworld, GQ, cable modem and Router are in the same room. Currently, I have the cable modem connected to the router and the router connected to the NICs in the first two computers. Both computers can get the DSL. In a perfect world though, GQ would be connected wirelessly to the router, rather than having to drag a cable across the floor. Also, eMachines should be connected wirelessly too (Currently, it is not connected to the DSL at all.)

And of course, security is very important. I don't want credit cards or passwords flying through the air on an unsecured connection.

Previously, I had tried (when we were on dial-up) setting up an Ad Hoc connection between the eMachines and an old CTX using two Speedstram adapters, but it was very hard to set up and I needed someone's help and once I got it going, it stopped, so I pretty much gave up.

So now that I have the DSL, I would like to first get it set up wirelessly to all of the computers (except Linkworld can be wired, since it is right next to the router) and eventually file and printer sharing. How EXACTLY do I go about doing this?

Thanks.

1. The details of exactly how you setup IPSEC and the PPPoE logon are not mentioned as they are different in every router. If your router supports IPSEC, its typically a dropdown or a selection. For PPPoE its typically a dropdown connection type choice. Then you enter your DSL logon and password

But...neither of these seems to be your issue as you can connect to the internet

By the way, I assume you have a DSL modem, not a cable modem.

As far as getting wireless setup- you need either a wireless NIC card or a wireless USB adapator for each computer you want connected. Install the adapator, and any necessary drivers and the manufacturers configuration utility.

Then, go here to configure wireless on both the router and on each PC. And go here to see how to share files and printers

Sorry, I did mean DSL modem.

I've got it now where I can get on eMachines wirelessly (I turned off the dial-up access, so I know it is going through the router.) I had used XP's network setup wizrd and set each computer to access the internet through another computer or a residential Gateway (I assume they mean the router/DSL modem by this).

How do I turn on some type on encryption so that I can ensure that no other computers around here can pick up communications between this one and the router? Also, how do I ensure that other computers, besides the three, cannot get on my DSL connection?

Again Netgear WGR614 v3 and Speedstream DSL modem if anyone else has this same hardware and can help. XP on all 3.

Thanks.

johnstexas said: [Q]I've got it now where I can get on eMachines wirelessly (I turned off the dial-up access, so I know it is going through the router.) I had used XP's network setup wizrd and set each computer to access the internet through another computer or a residential Gateway (I assume they mean the router/DSL modem by this).correct

[Q]How do I turn on some type on encryption so that I can ensure that no other computers around here can pick up communications between this one and the router? Also, how do I ensure that other computers, besides the three, cannot get on my DSL connection? Really the same question. Your answer is here. As I mention in the link,, I strongly recommmend that for the wireless PCs that you do not use the Wireless Zero Configuaration (WZC) tool. It has many known problems. Instead use the NIC management tool provided by the hardware mannufacturer

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014