ipconfig /release freezes, help?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Okay, I googled and could only find this
.[Q]"Sometimes electronic equipment such as modems and routers can "freeze up", resulting in it not passing information to the internet correctly. Start by unplugging the power to your DSL modem or wireless unit and plugging it back in. Give it approximately 2 minutes to reestablish a connection. Then if you are using a router or hub, reset the power on it as well. If your internet connection is still not working at that point, you may also need to reboot the computer for it to recognize the connection is back up. This solution is often necessary after an electrical storm or if there has been any sort of interruption of your home electricity."

I've already tried the above and don't know what else to do. Please, help?

Problem: After typing ipconfig /release in the cmd line my cmd line freezes and doesn't allow me to type anything else

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Update NIC drivers or uninstall/reinstall drivers.

Why are you doing an ipconfig /release? Please post back with the information requested in the 3rd sticky and read the 2nd sticky for networking advice

ellory said: [Q]Please post back with the information requested in the 3rd sticky and read the 2nd sticky for networking advice

also, ipconfig will not give you the command line back until it's done. sometimes it takes a long time to do its job. we definitely need more info, though.

I'm trying to connect to my ISP by resetting my IP Address.

I was told by a CSR to unplug the coaxial cable from my cable modem and to ipconfig /release. Every time I tried to type ipconfig /release it would freeze the cmd line. We waited for about 10 minutes and he said something was wrong with my computer because it shouldn't take longer than that to ipconfig /release

What we did before ipconfig /release
1. Unplug Coaxial Cable
2. Unplug Cable Modem from power cord
3. Uninstall Drivers for NIC
4. Restart Computer

BTW, I'm only using a cable modem. No routers.

Is there anything else I could be missing? Thanks for the help ya'll

One thing, unplug coaxial cable on modem and replug it.
Also, unplug power supply to modem and wait for a minute and replug it back in.
Then wait 2 minutes, till lights on modem blink fast.
Then do this command.

I hope you reinstalled the NIC drives too.

IQ70 said: [Q]One thing, unplug coaxial cable on modem and replug it.
Also, unplug power supply to modem and wait for a minute and replug it back in.
Then wait 2 minutes, till lights on modem blink fast.
Then do this command.

I hope you reinstalled the NIC drives too.

Yes, we did everything you listed and it still freezes.

Can you type ipconfig/all and post the output here.

IQ70 said: [Q]Can you type ipconfig/all and post the output here.

Yeah, when I get home from work. =) Thanks for the help for now.

Are you using a software firewall? That could be causing the problem. If you are not using a firewall, your PC is probably infected with who knows what. You should never connect to broadband modem without some type of firewall. I always recommend a router to provide firewall protection even if there is only one PC.

I have Windows XP's firewall on if that means anything. Thanks for the heads up skibum, I'll get a router soon.

Windows xp firewall provides minimal protection, but it shouldn't stop you from connecting unless the settings are screwed up. You may want to check them (windows firewall under control panel) to make sure exceptions are checked for programs you use to access the internet.

You can also try repairing your connection for your local area connection under network connection. Have you also tried rebooting the PC after rebooting the modem?

or try ipconfig /renew

if it cant renew it will auto release.

repair might be a good idea as well.

IQ70 said: [Q]Can you type ipconfig/all and post the output here.

IQ70 said: [Q]IQ70 said: [Q]Can you type ipconfig/all and post the output here.

Sorry, to keep you waiting IQ70. I appreciate your help.

Well, I found a way around my problem. It appears one of my cat5 jacks on my MB is messed up. I just simply moved my cat5 cable to my second jack, reinstalled drivers, repair network connection, and my ipconfig commands started working again. Thanks for the help, guys.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014