• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I use the laptop atleast 13 hours a day and I have lately been experiencing pain in my right wrist. Any opinions on which mouse/mouse pad I could buy to alleviate the pain?

Thanks!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
http://www.Amazon.com/FEL93730-Glide-Wrist-Mouse-Black/dp/B000EFQAF0/ref=sr_1_47/103-9036339-6096634?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=11... (more)

sdh174 (Oct. 18, 2007 @ 10:26a) |

Do you wear your wrist brace even in your sleep? A couple of weeks of doing that may help. Do you also do the arms out... (more)

larrymoencurly (Oct. 19, 2007 @ 2:48a) |

Get a high-tech Logitech wireless mouse and gel mouse pads from Staples

pyee01 (Oct. 19, 2007 @ 12:14p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Any mouse in an ergonomic position should give you some relief. A trackball is a good choice to relieve pain, too.

Thanks. Am I better off using the mouse pad of the laptop instead of an external mouse? Could the pain be caused due to the keyboard as well? I don't know..

I'd say get a mousepad with wrist support built in.

Staples

PipChaos.. Can you recommend the best mouse pad with wrist support that has worked for you in the past? The Staples link has atleast 20 different products listed..

try using your arm and shoulder (bigger muscles) to move the mouse, rather than your wrist (smaller muscles). a wrist brace may help.

This posting by jwz might help:
http://www.jwz.org/gruntle/wrists.html

IMHO the most important thing is to take regular breaks.

I use a drawing stylus, like Wacom 4x5 tablet, about $75 for the same reason but with a desktop. Its more comfortable to use a pen than a mouse.

ig77 said: PipChaos.. Can you recommend the best mouse pad with wrist support that has worked for you in the past? The Staples link has atleast 20 different products listed..

Try them out for yourself. Everyone is different. Find what feels good to you.

Erick13 said:

Try them out for yourself. Everyone is different. Find what feels good to you.

Not only is everyone different, but it's a good idea to switch devices and positions to relieve repetitive motion. Also, the wrist pads which aren't built-in give you a little more flexibility as to how to position them.

Consequently, I have a basket o'mice.

I use an accessory Cirque Smartcat touchpad that allows me to hold the touchpad in my lap or at any angle to relieve stress on my wrist. Works good. Got mine on ebbay for $20. There are several versions available, but the Smartcat is Vista compatible. I particularly like the feature where I can scroll forward or backward through my browser screens with a swipe of a finger on the pad.

alright, if you spend 13 hours on a laptop each day, you better be using an external keyboard and mouse. I absolutely cannot spend the entire day on a laptop's touchpad and keyboard (and i'm on a 15.4" wide laptop too). They're not expensive and you should get those wrist gel thingies for the external keyboard and optical mouse. Wireless is nice too. Lets you move around so you don't stay in one position too long.

A wrist brace will help with the pain. They are cumbersome when trying to use a computer, but I've discovered wearing it while I sleep helps alleviate the pain during the day when I can't wear it. I am a real computer junkie, and spend about every waking minute in front of a computer. I sit in front of one all day at work, and then plop down in front of my personal computer when I get home. Using full external mice and keyboards help. I have wrist pads for the mouse and keyboard at work and at home. I've also found that I'm quite ambidextrous, and am able to use the mouse with my other hand when my primary hand starts acting up.

The large Microsoft optical mouse and /or their ergonomic keyboard.
I can only go a few minutes with any touchpad without pain
The larger the mouse, I find the less contractions my hand is making.
Some other large mouses may work as well although I have not tried them.
Absolutely the worst thing is to use the touch pad.

Use a mouse and switch it over to your non-dominant hand for half the time. It'll take some getting used to, but it beats carpal tunnel surgery!

Many times you can use keyboard shortcuts to avoid using a mouse.

My lady friend calls that little rubber keyboard mouse, a clit mouse.

dunno if you can, but I like to type with my arm fully supported on the desk by the elbow

thanks for all the suggestions..

1. I am using the wrist brace everyday lately. But I read that overuse of the brace is not recommended.
2. Yes, I tried to operate the mouse with my secondary hand and was all over the screen I guess it will take a while before I get used to it.
3. I ordered one of the gel pads for the mouse. Can't wait to start using it. I will consider getting a wireless mouse as well.

use a wrist gel pad & wireless mouse.

http://www.Amazon.com/FEL93730-Glide-Wrist-Mouse-Black/dp/B000EFQAF0/ref=sr_1_47/103-9036339-6096634?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1192721146&sr=8-47

http://ecx.images-Amazon.com/images/I/21XQK3ZH19L._AA240_.jpg

this one works well for me...the wrist part moves with the mouse

Do you wear your wrist brace even in your sleep? A couple of weeks of doing that may help. Do you also do the arms out, paws down stretching for at least 60 seconds, both with the thumbs out and the thumbs tucked in?

I move my whole forearm when operating the mouse, and I've never developed any wrist pain.

Get a high-tech Logitech wireless mouse and gel mouse pads from Staples

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014