• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I dont want all of my gmail in my outlook, and would like it to just download email for a specified number of days. Outlook in windows mobile does this. How do I make outlook only download email from the last 60 days?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

basically, i am using imap and there is just too much mail from years ago now in outlook that I don't want in there, but I do want to keep them in gmail. My pocket pc gives me this option, and after numerous google searches, i am starting to think that outlook 2007 does not have this feature...

mobile phones have limited memory, so their email clients have to have limits to how far back they go, so they basically have a rotating buffer, as old stuff drops off, it makes room for new stuff, or the new stuff overwrites the old stuff. normal pc installations shouldn't have that problem. you can try setting outlook to only download headers only, which shouldn't take long, even for a lot of messages, and it will download the full messages when you open them. i'm not sure if outlook 2007 has that feature, but i don't see why it wouldn't.

I believe when you are retrieving mail through IMAP, you basically see everything on the server and don't have the option just to see the last 60 days without deleting the older mail or moving the older mail to another folder. Also, my understanding of IMAP is that you are not actually downloading the mail but just seeing the headers until you open a specific email which is then downloaded on the fly.

Also see imap.org

That is correct - IMAP is just showing what is on the server. Disconnect from the Internet and you will see nothing. So if you want to actually download Email you will need to switch to POP.

I'm not sure why you only want to download newer mail though - are you short on disk space? If it is just for sorting purposes, after you switch to POP let it download it all, then make a folder called OLD or something and move the older stuff into it.

Basically, imap gmail in outlook is just really slow. I guess there are a lot of people complaining about gmail's servers right now. I thought this might be a solution. Perhaps I just have to wait...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014