• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
rated:
I have been looking for free security solutions and thought that it would be a good idea to share and get input from folks here. I found a couple of threads but seems like they have been locked for a few years now so lets collect current and relevant information in the quick summary. Also, I am aware that many of us here get our favorite security solutions for free after rebate but this thread is for totally free software without time limits that is free at least for personal use.

Active Protection
These applications are meant to be your primary security solution. They provide continuous (on access) scanning and protection.
Microsoft Security Essentials - FW Thread. Microsoft's free successor to OneCare.
AVG Free - Antivirus+Antispyware, PC Magazine Review, FW Thread.
avast! Free - Antivirus+Antispyware+Antirootkit, PC Magazine Review.
PC Tools Antivirus Free Edition - Antivirus
Avira AntiVir Personal - Antivirus+Antirootkit
Comodo Internet Security - Antivirus + Firewall - PC Magazine Review, FW Thread.
Ad-Aware Free - Antispyware, FW Thread.
IObit Security 360 - Anti-malware.
Spybot Search & Destroy - Antispyware.
Spyware Doctor Starter Edition - Antispyware.
Windows Defender - Antispyware.
ZoneAlarm Free Firewall - Firewall.

On Demand Scanning and Other Security Tools
These applications are meant to complement your primary security solution. Use them to get a second opinion on the state of your system or to clean up an infected system.
AVG LinkScanner.
BitDefender Free Tools - Detect+Clean.
Comodo Free Security Softwares.
GeSWall.
Google Pack - Includes Spyware Doctor with Anti-Virus. Detect+Clean.
a-squared - Several versions of this anti-malware program are available as a free download. Detect+Clean.
ClamWin - Detect only.
Kaspersky Free Virus Scan - Detect only.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
McAfee Free Services - including SiteAdvisor and FreeScan.
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool - Specific threats only. Updated once a month.
Norton Security Scan and Symantec Security Check - Detect only.
Panda Research Free Downloads - See the Free Downloads section in the right column of the page.
Panda Security Free - includes online ActiveScan.
Secunia Personal Software Inspector and Secunia Online Software Inspector - Checks to see if you have applied all updates and patches.
Trend Micro Free Antivirus Tools - including HouseCall and HijackThis.
VirusTotal - Upload a file to get it scanned.
Webroot Spy Sweeper Free Scan - Detect only.
Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner - Detect only.

Other Sources
Check with your ISP, your employer or your school. Some of them antivirus solutions for free to their subscribers/employees/students. For instance:
McAfee Internet Security for Bank of America customers.
Free trials of security software can be used to scan your computer although most will require you to buy before they fix anything:
CA 90 Day Trial
Norton 90 Day Trial
Windows Live OneCare Trial
Trend Micro 30 Day Free Trial
AVG 30 Day Free Trial
Kaspersky 30 Day Free Trial

Backups
Acronis True Image WD Edition - FW Thread. Has significant restrictions on which drives it will work with.
Backup and Recovery Free Edition.
Cobian Backup.
Comodo Backup.
CrashPlan - Supports Linux, Solaris and Mac also.
Easeus Todo Backup.
Macrium Reflect Free Edition for personal use
Seagate DiscWizard - FW Thread
O&O Disk Image Express Edition
Ubuntu One - 2 GB of free online storage for Ubuntu. The sync feature can be used as a simplistic backup, although it will not retain prior versions.
Windows Backup
FBackup - Free backup software.
GFI Backup Home Edition.
Other free backup and drive imaging softwares
SyncBack Freeware and other free software.
Uranium Backup Free.
Shadow Explorer - Provides access to previous versions of files saved by Volume Shadow Copy for Vista Home users.
Mozy Online Backup - Free edition is limited to 2 GB.
IDrive Online Backup - Free edition is limited to 2 GB.
MyOtherDrive.com - Free account is limited to 2 GB.

Maintenance and Utilities
Windows Sysinternals - By far the most powerful collection of utilities for Windows. Targeted at system administrators but power users will also find many useful tools here, such as a utility to wipe free disk space for instance. Note that most of these are command line tools however.
Note: In my experience, it is better to avoid registry and drive clutter by minimizing the number of programs that you install, or to do a clean install if you end up with clutter and/or problems. However, if you want, you can try your luck with one of the free registry/drive cleaners listed below.
Advanced SystemCare Free.
Ashampoo WinOptimizer, More Ashampoo Software.
Comodo System Cleaner.
EASEUS Partition Manager Home Edition.
Partition Manager Express and Rescue Kit Express - Create, resize, delete, recover, wipe and manage partitions; some discussion in this FW thread.
Paragon Partition Manager 9.5 Professional: Download 32 bit, Download 64 bit, Register to get serial - FW Thread, older FW thread.
Parted Magic - Partitioning plus utilities. Requires booting from CD image.
Partition Wizard Home Edition.
CCleaner - Registry and driver cleaner.
Eraser - Secure file and drive deletion.
Fresh Diagnose and Fresh UI.
Revo Uninstaller.
Recuva - File undeletion.
Smart Defrag.
Defraggler - File defragmentation.
Glary Utilities.
McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool - The helpful guys at McAfee realized that sometimes you may have trouble uninstalling their software.
Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services.
Microsoft Fix It Center Online.
Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP.
MyUninstaller.
Nero Tools & Utilities - includes Nero General Clean Tool. The helpful guys at Nero realized that sometimes you may have trouble removing their software.
PC Tools Desktop Maestro 2.
SeaTools - Hard drive diagnostics for Seagate and Maxtor hard drives.
System Rescue CD.
TuneUp Utilities 2007.
TweakVI for Vista.
VCOM FixIt Utilities 7 Express.
WD Data LifeGuard - Hard drive diagnostics for WD hard drives.
Windows Steady State - Rolls back changes automatically.

Additional Resources: Reviews and Downloads
Hot Deals - Security & Utilities.
V3.co.uk Recommended Downloads
Utilities - Reviews and Price Comparisons from PC Magazine.
Backup Sofware Reviews.
Paragon Software Free Tools.
Download.com.
Techsoup - free software for non-profits.

Previous Paragon Software Giveaways (some may still be available):

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Yes it is. Thanks! Didn't know about it. I just checked it out - it's a little more complex, but hopefully it can cle... (more)

minidrag (Jun. 29, 2010 @ 5:58p) |

FutureDilemma (Jul. 09, 2010 @ 7:01p) |

Any recommendations for a good cheap (or free) server/client program for synchronizing folders? (Like an automated FTP ... (more)

riznick (Jul. 09, 2010 @ 7:10p) |

Active Protection
These applications are meant to be your primary security solution. They provide continuous (on access) scanning and protection.

AVG Free: Antivirus Antispyware, PC Magazine Review, FW Thread
avast! Free: Antivirus Antispyware Antirootkit, PC Magazine Review
Note that avast! requires you to register with your email and sends you a license key valid for one year to the email address which you must enter to continue using it beyond a 60 day period. I don't what happens after one year - whether it stops working and insists that you buy it or whether it can be renewed?
PC Tools Antivirus Free Edition: Antivirus
Avira AntiVir Personal: Antivirus Antirootkit
Comodo Softwares: Antivirus, Anti-malware, Firewall, Etc., PC Magazine Review, FW Thread
ZoneAlarm Free Firewall: Firewall
Windows Defender: Antispyware
Spyware Doctor Starter Edition: Antispyware
Ad-Aware Free - Anniversary Edition: Antispyware, FW Thread

On Demand Scanning
These applications are meant to complement your primary security solution. Use them to get a second opinion on the state of your system or to clean up an infected system.
BitDefender Free Edition: Detect Clean
Google Pack: Includes Norton Security Scan and Spyware Doctor Starter Edition. Detect Clean
a-squared: Several versions of this anti-malware program are available as a free download. Detect Clean.
ClamWin: Detect only
Trend Micro HouseCall: Detect only
McAfee FreeScan: Detect only
Kaspersky Free Virus Scan: Detect only
Panda ActiveScan: Detect only
Symantec Security Check: Detect only
VirusTotal - Free Online Virus Scan - Allows uploading of a file and checks against 40 different anti-virus programs for viruses (including ClamAV, a-squared, Kaspersky, McAfee, NOD32, AVG, Avast, Symantec, etc.)

Other Security Related Utilities
McAfee SiteAdvisor
Secunia Vulnerability Scanning: Checks to see if you have applied all updates and patches.
LinkScanner Lite and LinkScanner Online

Other Sources
Some ISPs provide antivirus and security softwares to their subscribers. Many colleges and universities provide antivirus softwares to employees and students. Check to see if you are eligible through some such source. Some security suites also provide a free downloadable trial that can be used to do a one time clean up if you are faced with having to fix an infected system (although most will only do a detection scan and require you to buy before they fix anything).

Backups
Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8.5 SE
Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Express
Seagate DiscWizard, FW Thread
O&O Disk Image Express Edition
Windows Backup

Maintenance and Utilities
Note: In my experience, it is better to avoid registry and drive clutter by minimizing the number of programs that you install, or to do a clean install if you end up with clutter and/or problems. However, if you want, you can try your luck with one of the free registry/drive cleaners listed below.
Windows Steady State - Rolls back changes automatically.
Paragon Partition Manager 9.0 Express
VCOM FixIt Utilities 7 Express
TuneUp Utilities 2007
Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
TweakVI for Vista
PC Tools Desktop Maestro 2
Ashampoo WinOptimizer, More Ashampoo Software
CCleaner - Registry and driver cleaner.
Recuva - File undeletion.
Defraggler - File defragmentation.
Maxtor MaxBlast and SeaTools

Additional Resources: Reviews and Downloads
VNUNet.com Recommended Downloads
Utilities - Reviews and Price Comparisons from PC Magazine
Download.com

Your list of software is nice. Click this link to "A kind of WikipediaŽ for Freeware" for a comprehensive list of all the great free software as well as check the stickies above your thread.

The site I linked is great because, to my knowledege, it loads really fast, and is a no-nonsense, adware-free site chock full of freeware and reviews.

maddiebeagle's thread on PC Tech Tools lists some. Gratis LiveCDs, anti-spyware, and anti-virus programs are listed in the quick summary there.

One year of CA Anti-Virus 2008 for free. See here.

I've been using Avast now for about 3 months and really like it. I also use Ms Defender and Spybot..........also free..........

great thread

Great backup program:

SyncBack Freeware

MalwareBytes Antimalware (Free version is on demand scanning and updates, pro is automatic for both, one download for both no nagware either). Detect and remove
CCleaner (used to be called CrapCleaner) a great clean-up tool clears temp files and all sorts of other stuff like that.
Spybot Search and Destroy is a another great anti-spyware/malware program. Includes an active monitor called Teatimer and also blocks a range of sites and bad programs from installing via the immunization option. Free scan and removal, permanently free.

ClamWin (based off of ClamAV)

Open source, and applicable to almost any system (business or personal use).

SchlingBlade said: ClamWin (based off of ClamAV)

Open source, and applicable to almost any system (business or personal use).
Don't forget though "Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware."

For many people this is a killer because they will simply forget this point and never scan, blithely surfing and emailing, thinking they are protected. If it's what you want though, it's supposed to be a nice scanner.

McAfee SiteAdvisor

I'm not a fan of McAfee's AV, but this program seems to be small and fast. It works with IE or Firefox and will warn you if you are going to a site that is known to be infected. Nice idea - don't try to stop the infection as it is being installed on your PC, stop the browser before it even goes to the site.

Linkscanner
Not sure if a link on a site or in an Email is safe? Copy and paste it into the window here and they will scan the site to see if it is infected. Nothing to install on your machine.

Thanks for sharing your list guys.. I really need it.

Defraggler was mentioned in another thread. From the same folks who offer CCleaner and Recuva.

Can this thread be stickied, please?

MalwareBytes is a great antimalware program. It is an on-demand scanning for free or pay for active protection.

Also, Secunia Personal System Inspector is a great program for monitoring your computer. It lets you know when programs have updates and alerts you when they are security related updates. Helping prevent you from becoming infected.

Bump to prevent archiving.

Just heard about this program: GeSWall

It appears to offer to sandbox any app that tries to modify system files. You don't have to allow it to isolate the app if you don't want to though. But if you do, it's supposed to be able to stop any rogue software from running. I've only been playing with it for a few hours now. It seems to be small and effective. Has anyone else used this?

Have you actually tried infecting yourself minidrag? I am wondering how good it is as some of the newer rogue programs use the TDSS Rootkit to hide themselves.

I have only tried a couple of scripts, which it stopped. I don't actually know of a site that is definitely infected that I can go to for a good test. If you know of a way to purposefully cause an infection please PM me with it. Posting it here would probably be a bad idea

Well, it just passed one test - I tried to install a coupon printer and with GeSWall on it failed.

Hahaha for the KFC coupon? Bastards, very irresponsible.

Skipping 42 Messages...
Any recommendations for a good cheap (or free) server/client program for synchronizing folders? (Like an automated FTP but only for synchronizing)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014