What's the PC equivalent to Macbook Air?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm looking for a ultra portable PC notebook equivalent to Macbook Air in terms of size and portability. Any suggestions? Is Macbook Air the only game in town if you want something that small and light (around 13" screen size)? Thanks!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Look for HP's Voodoo Envy 133-- 0.7 inches thick and weighs less than 3.4 pounds

hermitlife (Jun. 11, 2008 @ 2:06a) |

HP casts Voodoo spell on new lineup

Is it just me or the new Voodoo laptop's exterior (slide 5-7) looks like an afterthou... (more)

HTN (Jun. 11, 2008 @ 10:22a) |

Besides the official website, where can I get more info on this? Or any info on that Dell one thats coming out. I asked ... (more)

trksh22 (Jun. 12, 2008 @ 8:32p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Lenovo X300, but it's very pricey. Here.

the latitude d430 has a 12.1" screen and is around 3lbs with the default battery. it comes with xp, too.

cheapnoob said: Lenovo X300, but it's very pricey. Here.

That's insane. I can get 2 Macbook Air for that price.

Is there anything that comes close to the thinness of Macbook Air?

LongDongSilver said: Is there anything that comes close to the thinness of Macbook Air?

i think that's part of the novelty. i'd be afraid of bending something that thin, though.

It's already been said. The lenovo x300. Also in humorous video.

LongDongSilver said: cheapnoob said: Lenovo X300, but it's very pricey. Here.

That's insane. I can get 2 Macbook Air for that price.

by the time you add the solid state drive, a carry around dvd burner, and a copy of vista - the Lenovo isn't much more expensive

What is important to you? Long battery life, a built in optical drive? Do you just need
a basic CPU for the web and email, or do you want something with more power?

How important is an SSD to you? You can get the Macbook with a traditional HD or an SSD, but
right now the X300 only has the SSD option.

PCMag liked the Sony Vaio VHG SZ791N better than the Air or the X300.

If a 12.1" widescreen would do the job, there are several that are almost as thin as the Air, and
much lighter. Toshiba has a 12.1 widescreen model with a built in optical drive that is about 2 lbs.
(I am sure it is not as sturdy as a Thinkpad.)

If I had a really fat wallet I would go for the X300.

I just need a basic laptop for web and email but want something ultra portable like Macbook Air.

LongDongSilver said: I just need a basic laptop for web and email but want something ultra portable like Macbook Air.

Get the Asus EEE PC. Cheapest model is only $300

anyone11787 said: LongDongSilver said: I just need a basic laptop for web and email but want something ultra portable like Macbook Air.

Get the Asus EEE PC. Cheapest model is only $300
Here's a good comparison:
http://www.devindra.org/tech/2008/01/16/apple-air-versus-asus-eee-a-comparison/

If you're OK with a 7" screen and 2GB of HD space the EEE might fit the bill.

You could also get the Everex gBook, which is around $400 online, and has a 15.4" LCD, 60GB SATA drive, DVD/CD-RW, and 512MB of RAM (add a second SODIMM for more RAM). I'm typing this on one right now running Xubuntu 8.04, but these will run XP just fine as well.

Can you format the HDD on the Linux-based Asus EEE and install XP if you add extra RAM?

There are eee PCs that ship with windows XP including the newest model, with an 8.9" LCD.
NewEgg has it.

The MSI Wind is coming out later this month. It has a 10" display and uses Intel's new
Atom chipset. It is bigger and heavier than the eee PC, but it is more like a traditional
ultraportable. A review is here.

Edit: My first reply wasn't very clear so I edited it.
eee PC's don't have typical hard drives, they use solid state chips. I don't know if it is
possible to buy a Linux version and put windows on it, but I suspect it would be a chore.

It's possible to install Windows XP onto an EEE that originally ran Linux. I've heard NTFS and the SSD don't really perform very well for some reason, but it can work.

Obviously, I wouldn't try this on the 2G Surf, model, but the 4G on up should be more than capable of running XP. The more RAM the merrier.

kenmoreland said: There are eee PCs that ship with windows XP including the newest model, with an 8.9" LCD.
NewEgg has it.

The MSI Wind is coming out later this month. It has a 10" display and uses Intel's new
Atom chipset. It is bigger and heavier than the eee PC, but it is more like a traditional
ultraportable. A review is here.

Edit: My first reply wasn't very clear so I edited it.
eee PC's don't have typical hard drives, they use solid state chips. I don't know if it is
possible to buy a Linux version and put windows on it, but I suspect it would be a chore.

i was going to say the msi wind as well, its about 500 dollars.

SchlingBlade said: You could also get the Everex gBook, which is around $400 online, and has a 15.4" LCD, 60GB SATA drive, DVD/CD-RW, and 512MB of RAM (add a second SODIMM for more RAM). I'm typing this on one right now running Xubuntu 8.04, but these will run XP just fine as well.

Is that the one with the Via C7-M processor?

Yes, it has the VIA C7-M 1.5Ghz processor.

Look for HP's Voodoo Envy 133-- 0.7 inches thick and weighs less than 3.4 pounds

hermitlife said: Look for HP's Voodoo Envy 133-- 0.7 inches thick and weighs less than 3.4 pounds
HP casts Voodoo spell on new lineup

Is it just me or the new Voodoo laptop's exterior (slide 5-7) looks like an afterthought on their design list. It looks kind of pizza boxish.

michal1980 said:

i was going to say the msi wind as well, its about 500 dollars.

Besides the official website, where can I get more info on this? Or any info on that Dell one thats coming out. I asked Dell about their mini and they were suspiciously quiet about it, not even admitting anything about it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014