Printer won't print from Word, Notepad

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 530, Windows XP. Recently I have been unable to print using word, notepad. When I print it sounds like it is printing, but all that comes out is a blank paper.

My printer is a Canon i560, connected through USB port. I just replaced the ink in the printer. The documents I was able to print previously will not print anymore. I also tried to print using notepad and wordpad and I get the same thing. I can however print fine from the web browser. I have reinstalled the printer but the problem remains.

I am at a loss as to what the problem is. Thanks in advance for any help.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm wondering if Word & Notepad are trying to print in black while when you print from the browser, what you're seeing is in color. If so, that would point to a problem with the black cartridge.

Try printing from Paint - make some black shapes and some shapes in other colors, as a diagnostic technique. Or, try printing from your browser but change the printer property to black ink only.

If the problem is with the black cartridge, remove and examine it to make sure tape is not blocking the ink portal.

Reinstall the black cartridge and run the deep head cleaning procedure.

Thanks, xnarg. Yup, black won't print.

I checked and there is no tape blocking the ink portal. I guess I need to buy a new cartridge and see if that will make any difference.

deepblue2 said: Thanks, xnarg. Yup, black won't print.

I checked and there is no tape blocking the ink portal. I guess I need to buy a new cartridge and see if that will make any difference.
First try the deep cleaning technique. If that doesn't do it, it's time for a new cartridge. I had the impression that you just replaced the cartridges.

FWIW, I do not use generic ink jet cartridges - I've seen too many printers ruined by them. I use generic toner in laser printers because the technology there is not as precise as with ink jets. For an ink jet to work properly, the ink has to flow with the right viscosity throughout the life of the cartridge, the right amount has to appear in the print head, and it has to vaporize at the right temperature. There are just too many variables in there and opportunities for chemicals not to function the way the manufacturer intended.

I know people swear by generics or self-refills - congrats to them. I also have encountered plenty of people who have bad luck. Those who have had good luck talk about it, those who have had bad luck, often don't know the cause ("my printer died on me") or don't want to talk about it.

Doesn't the Canon have a utility to check ink level?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I just put in a new cartridge recently (not generic or self-refill) and it seems to be almost full.

Deep cleaning cycle didn't help. I will take out the print head and wash it off a little . If that doesn't do it, it's time to visit Hot Deals section and look for a new printer.

Did you run the printer self test? Sometimes you have to do that cleaning several times. If you can take out that printhead put it in .5 inch (just enough to cover the printing part) of boiling water (take it off the stove first) for 5 minutes to clean it.

handyguy, that was it. After I cleaned the printhead, everything works again .

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014