• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have MagicJack on a computer at my house that is always on which is used as a security center, home media and data backup. The thing is that I'm not always on the computer (it is running with no monitor hooked up to it). Is there a way to make the magicJack application automatically start up when windows starts (in the event of an auto-restart) and also a way to make sure that it (Magic Jack) is always running. For example if some how it is not running to automatically attempt to start it back up??

Thanks again for your help

Windows XP pro
Dell PowerEdge T105
Dual-Core AMD Opteron 1210
1.81 GHz with 4 gig of Ram

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You could make a service using srvany.exe (Microsoft page on this) or even more simple would be to add a shortcut to the "Startup" group of the XP Start menu. Both would get the program running when Windows starts.

Don't know about restarting if for some reason it were to stop though. You would need some other program running to detect if it had stopped and restart it as necessary. But what if that program stopped too?

IN xp pro you can set the services preferences using the MSCONFIG command at the DOS prompt to autostart it. You can also use the "at" command to restart the service at given intervals in case it crashes.

drodge said: IN xp pro you can set the services preferences using the MSCONFIG command at the DOS prompt to autostart it. You can also use the "at" command to restart the service at given intervals in case it crashes.This "at" command you are referring to.. So basically I can say "automatically restart magicjack at noon every day"?? Does that mean if its already running that it will restart it? I use it to make/receive phone calls and if it restarted in the middle of a call it would be dropped. Is there a way to only start it IF its NOT currently running??

Google "at command". You have to download it, but yes, it starts a service at various intervals. You can tell it how often to start. If the service is already started, it won't do anything. If it isn't, it will start it up. As long as you know the service name you will be set.

OMFGWTF said:

I used to do this with auto computer power-on with BIOS and use this Scheduled Tasks to automatically turn on the computer. I also schedule chrono shutdown to start up when the computer start for xxx minutes to shut off the computer automatically.

Can you share how to auto start and shutoff the PC...I got to the point of add schedule task.

Thanks

I installed the service it was pretty easy there was a program that all you had to do is click it and it did it for you, dont have the direct link but it was at this site , search there: http://unofficialmagicjack.forum2u.org/

Goodluck

Once you have it running as a service, go into the services list (start, run, SERVICES.MSC) and find it in the list. Double click to open and then go to Recovery tab. Set the 3 drop down boxes to all say "Restart the Service".

This will make it so if the program crashes for any reason while running as a service, your machine will wait 1 minute (default which leaves enough room for the old copy to be flushed out) and then will auto start the program back up again.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014