• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have a Dell 15" LCD monitor w/ 2 USB ports on the side. For >6 mos I had wireless adapter plugged into one of them and all was fine. Suddenly it wasn't. Plugged the adapter into USB on the computer and it works. Same thing happens w/ thumb drives. Both monitor ports just don't work any more. Monitor's ok. Not a big prob but would be nice to fix. Monitor is attached to Optiplex SX270 running XPP w/ SP2; desktop chassis
1) Using thumb drives I tried Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disc Management. Its not there when I use monitor's USB ports but is there when I use computer's USB. (Used different thumb drives, tried both monitor ports.)
2) I Googled and read about running a cable from computer to one of the ports which would then let me use the 2nd one. I can do that but things were working w/o cable before and my only open USB is on the front of the machine so cable would be in the way.

So, I was thinking that there might be a short inside the monitor, in which case these ports will never work again. What do you think?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Have you tried unplugging/replugging the USB cable from the monitor to the PC? Maybe the computer will then redetect the hub in the monitor.

NM... try the above

Is the monitor's USB cable OK?

It's possible that a USB port on the monitor has a cracked solder joint.

USB ports can fail if zapped with static electricity, even though they're designed to withstand at least 12,000 volts, or from a surge of current on the USB's power line that wasn't filtered adequately because of a low quality capacitor.

Go into device manager and delete all of the USB hubs that you see listed there. Reboot the computer and allow windows to rediscover and reinstall them. It should bring the ports back unless it's an actual hardware issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I tried unplugging/replugging monitor's USB cable. No change.
I put in a brand new USB cable. No change.
I swapped keyboard & monitor ports in the back of computer. No change.
That got me to drodge's post. I googled to learn how to get to device manager. Saw the USB hubs listed. Googled and found this:

Remove and reinstall all USB controllers
To remove and reinstall all USB controllers, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Click the Hardware tab.
3. Click the Device Manager button.
4. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
5. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
6. Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.
7. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

How do I reinstall the USB controllers?

Windows should automatically detect them -- no action should be needed on your part.

my4mainecoons said: I tried unplugging/replugging monitor's USB cable. No change.Try changing the cable.

larrymoencurly said: my4mainecoons said: I tried unplugging/replugging monitor's USB cable. No change.Try changing the cable.

The next sentence under where you quoted her is:

I'm network-challenged. Someone comes in and does everything for me. So, I'm scared to uninstall the USB controllers for fear of what will happen to my USB wireless adapter. Do I have to turn off the wireless and uninstall the wireless adapter before I uninstall the USB controllers? If I do that then will I have to have my network administrator come in to get that computer back on the network? If that's the case then I'll just leave the USB ports dead. Its not worth the price of the service call to fix them.

MajorDarkside said: larrymoencurly said: my4mainecoons said: I tried unplugging/replugging monitor's USB cable. No change.Try changing the cable.

The next sentence under where you quoted her is:

I don't mean the one that goes from a USB connector on the monitor.

larrymoencurly said: Try changing the cable.
Do you mean the one w/ the pins?

When you remove the USB controller and restart, Windows will automatically see them again and do a clean install of the drivers. This is a generic Windows driver, so you have no worries there. Then, when you plug the wireless adapter back in, Windows will reload the old driver and restart it. You won't have to set up anything again. Whoever set up the network has already installed the drivers for your wireless and Windows will reuse the driver. You won't have to change any settings or do anything to get the network back up. I would recommend unplugging the wireless before you delete the USB controller, however, and plug it back in after Windows reinstalls. That way it's only doing one task at a time. It should work fine doing it in one step also, but I like to eliminate as many potential problems as possible.

There are really only four possibilities here:

1. A bad cable
2. The ports on the monitor went bad
3. The USB controller in your computer went bad
4. A software issue

Changing the cable rules out number 1. If the other ports on your computer are not bad, it's unlikely that it's nuumber 3. Doing the controller removal and reinstall will rule out number 4. If you try all of those with no results, it's likely number 2, which you aren't going to be able to fix.

Thanks drodge for the excellent explanation. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Still no go. So I'm back to my original assumption, that something shorted out in the monitor-- only now its more than a guess. Thanks everyone!

my4mainecoons said: larrymoencurly said: Try changing the cable.Do you mean the one w/ the pins?I mean the one used by the monitor to connect to the computer.

Check the solder joints.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014