How to copy flash drive to DVD-RW?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
I have a 2GB flash drive with about 1.3GB of data that I amd trying to copy to a 4.7GB DVD-RW but am having a lot of trouble doing do.

I'm using Windows XP and Nero 6.3.1

I successfully copied the flash drive ONE time by selecting the files directly from the drive, but it took about 20 minutes.

So then I saved the files (still in their folders) to my hard drive and then tried to copy from there.

Each time Nero says the disk failed to write.

What's up with this? How can I copy these UNPROTECTED files to a DVD?

Thank you for your help.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Depends, what error is nero throwing up.

It could be the file names are too long or the file directory structure is too deep for a DVD.

Can you copy other files to DVD without issue? Could be a burner or media issue and have nothing to do with your data.

jimmywalt said:

I successfully copied the flash drive ONE time by selecting the files directly from the drive, but it took about 20 minutes.
Something else is going on here. The read speed of the USB should not be the limiting factor (or are you USB 1.1?), as it should be faster than the DVD burn speed

forbin4040 said: Depends, what error is nero throwing up.

It could be the file names are too long or the file directory structure is too deep for a DVD.


I'll try again and see what error it gives.

The structure is only 1 folder deep - Like this:

Folder1
--- File 1
--- File 2
--- File 3
Folder2
--- File 4
--- File 5
Folder3
--- File 6

And so on...........

minidrag said: Can you copy other files to DVD without issue? Could be a burner or media issue and have nothing to do with your data.

Yes. I copied a small 44KB Word document to the DVD via Nero, I viewed it on the DVD, then I used Nero to erase it (it's a DVD-RW).

Worked fine.

ellory said: jimmywalt said:

I successfully copied the flash drive ONE time by selecting the files directly from the drive, but it took about 20 minutes.
Something else is going on here. The read speed of the USB should not be the limiting factor (or are you USB 1.1?), as it should be faster than the DVD burn speed


I'm not sure of the USB speed, but I would guess it's 1.1

There's 1.3GB of data on the flash, so I wondered if that's why it took so long.

There would be a message that pops up when you insert the USB drive if it was only 1.1

Remember 1.3GB of data is a lot. That's more than 2 CDs - and over 900 of the old 3 1/2 floppies

I tried it again.

This time I was able to SUCCESSFULLY burn 2 copies but ONLY when I selected the flash drive as the "source". Once again each burn took about 14 minutes.

I then saved the project as an "image". Then I went back into Nero and tried to burn that "image". It starts, does a bunch of steps then....
Formatiing Disk Successful
DVDRW IDE 16X
Write Error

So it appers the only to successfully copy this flash drive is by using it as the "source".

Even when I drop and drag the files from the flash to a folder on my hard drive, the files work from the hard drive just fine. There's some issue though with burning them from the hard drive (either as an image, or directly from the folders).

?????

Try it with a different brand, kind of media, such as DVDR, not RW.

Or, use nero to burn to the image writing, not the physical dvd drive. Then use something else (imgburn) to burn image to media.

Also, check the speed you are burning at. When you use your hard drive as the source Nero is probably defaulting to a higher burn speed. That speed may be too high for the media or your drive.

I agree with nycll. Imgburn is a great program for images - I don't ever use Nero for that

thanks for that heads up on imgburn. I'm exploring it now. Looking good



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014