• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

HDD pic
Disclaimer
My WD My Book died. I thought it was the power supply so I took apart the case and pulled out the hard drive. I bought a SATA enclosure, but when I hook it up a blue light just blinks. What is this 8 pin input on the hard drive? Could it be causing the blinking?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

No. Those are the master / slave pins. Left over from the PATA days. Possibly a 3G jumper in there too... but in any case, they don't need to be used at all.

minidrag said: No. Those are the master / slave pins. Left over from the PATA days. Possibly a 3G jumper in there too... but in any case, they don't need to be used at all.

Thank you sir. Any idea what the flashing light means?

Maybe you were wrong on your initial diagnosis and the drive is bad. Try hooking the bare drive up to a desktop computer and see if it is recognized and works.

comprx said: Maybe you were wrong on your initial diagnosis and the drive is bad. Try hooking the bare drive up to a desktop computer and see if it is recognized and works.

That's probably it. I just really hate hooking up my desktop.

Actually, they aren't master slave pins as this is an SATA drive, therefore no master slave settings. That being said, they are still not input pins. They are jumpers that control OTHER settings (likely the HD limit size and other stuffI Think I can read PWR as one of the things and likely FW is the other I can barely read (likely puts it in FW upgrade mode).

This link might be useful.

It is a review of a WD Sata HD. From the review:

In this image, you can see what the custom 8-pin header is for. When pins 1 and 2 are jumpered, SSC (Spread Spectrum Clocking) is enabled. Jumpering pins 5 and 6 enables SATA 150MB/s only operation, which may be necessary for compatibility on some older motherboards.

jumper settings for 3.5" WD SATA drives
Disclaimer
The jumpers are for manually choosing the slower 1.5Gbps transfer speed (for older SATA controllers that don't support the faster 3.0Gbps speed and have trouble recognizing such drives) and enabling spread spectrum tranfer rate (varies the rate slightly to reduce the noticability of electrical interference).

Thanks for the picture - kind of makes me feel vindicated in my original response. Two of the jumpers are used (one for a reason I mentioned) and the rest are for nothing. Left overs from the PATA days. This design is a holdover - there's no real reason for that many pins or such a large pin layout. Seagate changed theirs completely. But saving money by using existing parts / design equipment makes sense, and that's what WD did.

minidrag said: Thanks for the picture - kind of makes me feel vindicated in my original response. Two of the jumpers are used (one for a reason I mentioned) and the rest are for nothing. Left overs from the PATA days. This design is a holdover - there's no real reason for that many pins or such a large pin layout. Seagate changed theirs completely. But saving money by using existing parts / design equipment makes sense, and that's what WD did.The picture I posted is misleading because it shows a drive with the old-style IDE connector found on PATA drives, but that's the drawing Western Digital provides even for their newer SATA drives that have only the SATA power connector, such as the 750GB WD7500AACS internal drives found in some My Book externals.

Yeah, but the pins are the same, based on OPs picture

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014