Built-in Ethernet port on Television

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hi,

I was browsing for LCD TV deals and was checking out Dynex on Bestbuy and noticed in specs :
Built-in Ethernet port
Lets you connect your TV to your home network.

Does that mean I can connect this TV to my network and browse the internet or it is something else like connect to network storage and watch movies. Anybody had any experience with that, or BB made a mistake in description because on the pics I did not see any ethernet port.

Thanks

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I would imagine it can pull tv listing or things like that. I would be pretty surprised if it could do more than that.

I have a Toshiba with an ethernet port. The manual said it would allow you to update the firmware on the TV and use it as a browser. So far, neither have materialized and it's several years old.

Some TV's can do widgets. Like Yahoo mail, twitter, weather, eBay, etc...

Thanks for the help

You need to read the Mfgrs website and figure out what you can or can't do w/ the ethernet port. My samsung has an ethernet port and allows me to stream video from a DLNA server. Also allows me to connect to the internet and use some widgets like AfterRebates said. Some TVs only allow you to upgrade firmware from the ethernet port.

Some TVs allow you to stream Netflix movies directly to the TV from the internet.

do Sony tvs only do Netflix?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014