• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
My hard drive stopped working. The blue light in the front is still lighted, but the system doesn't show the drive letter. I'm not sure that the drive is still spinning. I need to recover the family pictures on the drive. Can anyone help please? Thank you so much.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Try using on another computer to verify there's a problem with the drive and not just an issue with your computer.

If it still can't be seen on another computer, the next step would be to remove the hard drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to a computer internally (some know-how required). That would rule out the problem being with the enclosure.

if neither of the above suggestions work, it is going to be expensive to get the pictures / files off of the drive. You made another backup somewhere, right?

Thank you all for your help. I saw the drive in Device Manager as USB mass storage, but it's not listed when I clicked on COMPUTER. This is my backup hard drive. I wiped out the main drive a while back because I thought this drive never failed. It's my huge mistake. If I change the external box, do you think it might work? Thanks.

First try another USB port or another USB cable. Often when a USB device stops working with Windows, it won't work again with that USB port. I experienced that just yesterday, when nothing was recognized through the front USB ports of my computer -- not even the notification beeps sounded -- until I switched the cable of the ports to a different set of USB pins on the motherboard.

There are hard drive diagnostics that bypass Windows and can test drives directly, like HDAT2. However they're very powerful tools and can quickly erase a drive inadvertently, so avoid using their functions for scanning for bad sectors or checking the file system because if something goes wrong with them they may write "corrections" to the drive that actually erase information. Just have them try to find the drive and report information about it. If you take reasonable precautions, these diagnostics are not really as dangerous as I make them seem.

Thank you so much for your help larrymoencurly. I'll try it this morning and let you know how it goes.

larrymoencurly, I downloaded HDTA2ISO_4_71.RAR, unpacked it and burned it to a DVD using MagicISO. What should I do next? Thank you so much.

Farmer: What have you done so far in the way of troubleshooting?

Farmer said: larrymoencurly, I downloaded HDTA2ISO_4_71.RAR, unpacked it and burned it to a DVD using MagicISO. What should I do next? Thank you so much.Restart your computer and boot from that DVD? If your computer isn't configured to boot from CD or DVD, then you'll have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order.

When the HDAT2 menu comes up and asks whether you want HDAT2 or HDAT2 for Windows, choose the former. Type HDAT2 /S if you don't want to hear the beepin' beep. The program will list all the drives it detects. Type the number of the one you want to test. The first test I'd try would be from the SMART menu because if none of them work, then the drive is munched. If the drive is a Seagate, you may be able to rescue or permanently ruin the drive through a funny diagnostic port unique to Seagates: link. WARNING: All data will be lost!

I moved the Cavalry drive around to different computers (Vista and XP) to see if I can get it to work, but so far I have no luck. I checked Device Manager and it's there as Master USB storage and sometimes saw a little yellow triangle on the line, but Cavalry told me that this drive doesn't need the driver. It should run with Windows. I also changed USB cables. Thank you for helping.
comprx said: Farmer: What have you done so far in the way of troubleshooting?

According to a comment on Newegg, inside of the aluminum case is a Western Digital 500GB WD5000AAKS. I just did another test. I brought it to a brand new Vista system that I just built and it installed this external hard drive and found the driver for it. I went into Device Manager and it's there with no yellow triangle. Somehow it never shows the drive and letter when I clicked on COMPUTER. Other drives work fine. I ran HDAT and here are the last couple lines I saw on the screen:

USB Device : VID-050Dh PID-805Ch HS
: VID-152Dh PID-2339h HS

Thanks for your help.

Does the drive show up under Disk Management? If it is there then it could be that the drive is offline? Is it a dynamic disk and maybe just needs to be reinitalized? You may also want to take the drive out of the enclosure and hook it up internally to your computer or try another enclosure if you have one.

Thanks Eric13. It didn't show up under DM either. I'll take it out of the enclosure and hook it up internally to see if it works. Will let you know.

Eric, you're my life saver. I hooked it up to the computer without the enclosure and it worked. Merry Christmas everybody. Thank you so much for your help.

Farmer said: Eric, you're my life saver. I hooked it up to the computer without the enclosure and it worked. Merry Christmas everybody. Thank you so much for your help.

I had an old 200gb external that stopped working reliability, got a cheap replacement external case and it's good as new (well, it's still 200gb though ). Glad you have it working

Now I hope you back it up...or you might be posting here again

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014