Quad 1.8ghz 7 gig ram...fast enough?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I just bought a a quad 4 amd 1.8ghz with 7gigs of DD2 ram. Is this system fast enough or should I look for something in the 2.X range? I play no games to date on the PC as I have a xbox.

How does it compare to something faster say a 2.5ghz with 4 gigs of ram?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Fast enough? For what? Regular internet surfing and standard word processing? I am assuming this is Win 7 64 bit.

Short answer: Yes. (Not I am still running 1.4GHz- 2.4Gz XP Home PCs with 2GB of RAM)

Right now the system has vista but it qualifies for windows 7 so it will eventually have Win7 on it.

It will be used for word processing, excel, some video editing and picture editing and regular internet use.

I would think it's fine for what you do with it.

Would it be better to have a higher CPU with less ram or more ram and lower CPU? Sorry haven't bought a computer in years running a Dell inspiron 1.8 celeron with 512 ram.

Rtrain82 said: Would it be better to have a higher CPU with less ram or more ram and lower CPU? Sorry haven't bought a computer in years running a Dell inspiron 1.8 celeron with 512 ram.if you're just surfing the net you should have stayed with your current computer

neo2299 said: Rtrain82 said: Would it be better to have a higher CPU with less ram or more ram and lower CPU? Sorry haven't bought a computer in years running a Dell inspiron 1.8 celeron with 512 ram.if you're just surfing the net you should have stayed with your current computer

I do some video editing / picture editing. I also have wilife cameras hookedup to it which really kills the computer.

The computer has reached a point where its hard to even use.

For video editing (no-transcoding) RAM is better. If you are transcoding a lot of video, a faster CPU would be better. Not saying a slower one couldn't get it done, it would just take longer. For surfing, office, etc. a decent P4 (2GHz+) with 1GB would be sufficient.

Your choice should last you for many years...even my nearly 4 year old machine can do everything you want to do and still have room to spare.

Dell Dimension 9200
P4 3.4GHz Dual Core
3GB RAM
Windows XP Pro
512MB Video Card

Thanks for the advice.

What confuses me is the entire GHz system now that they added the dual core and quad core. Is a 3.4 GHz dual core like you mentioned better than a 1.8 quad core?

The cpu speed isnt really the problem...The hard drive/video/ram can only go so fast

Rtrain82 said: Thanks for the advice.

What confuses me is the entire GHz system now that they added the dual core and quad core. Is a 3.4 GHz dual core like you mentioned better than a 1.8 quad core?

I would say no just based on personal experience as my (overkill) HTPC is a Quad Core Q8800 (1.6 or 1.8, can't remember) with 4GB of RAM and it seems a little quicker opening programs under windows Vista. Other than that I don't really notice a difference, but then I'm not doing any video editing on that machine where the 4 cores might come in handy.

Rtrain, you didn't mention if the Vista your computer is running is of the 32-bit or 64-bit variety (32-bit won't recognize more than ~ 3.2GB of RAM, the rest is WASTE, 64-bit over 4GB is not an issue)...

If you want to run a 64-bit OS for whatever reason, you'd have to buy a new computer w/a 64-bit OS already installed (even if it's Vista) or build one with parts compatible with a new copy of the 64-bit OS.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014