• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have a new Panasonic Viera HDTV that I hooked up to a 6 year old Panasonic DVD player. Any DVD I put in only plays in black and white, any guesses as to the problem?

I've already had my other DVD player break down this week and can't get the drawer to open, now this

TIA for any help

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What connection are you using to send the video from the DVD player to the TV (i.e. HDMI, component, S-video, etc.)?

Have you checked the settings in the DVD player menu? I've never heard of a 'black & white' option, but you never know...

Next step would be to plug something else into that same input on the TV to make sure it isn't a problem with the TV input.

I'm using S Video - I also tried a brand new set of plugs in case a pin was bent, but still black and white.

I looked in the set up menu to see if there was anything like this:

Go into the player's setup menu and make sure it's set for the kind of
connection you're actually using (component, S-video, composite).

I don't see anything at all in there or way to adjust.

I'm going to cry. This is a brand new tv -what else could I hook up to see if it's the tv or something wrong with the DVD player?

Thanks

I've seen this happen on a set that has a lot of inputs, where some set of the inouts were either /or which was stated in the documentation

Having everything connected at the same time corrupted the vidoe

ellory said: I've seen this happen on a set that has a lot of inputs, where some set of the inouts were either /or which was stated in the documentation

Having everything connected at the same time corrupted the vidoe

Ellory to the rescue

The inputs on this Panasonic DVD player are weird, no red white yellow - three in a row set up. Kind of like 2 - 2 - 2? I had to move them around to get sound and I can't tell what the red is doing at all, when I unplug it everything is the same.

is this ready for the trash too?

My other DVD player can't get the drawer to open - any suggestions?

This all must be a sign that I need that up conversion DVD player now that I have HD and an LCD

ETA: Forgot to mention that the main DVD screen without any DVD playing is also black and white

I moved some of the video plugs around and now I have color. Strange set up in back of the DVD player.

Thanks to Ellory and & ChinaRider for the help.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to get the drawer fixed on my other DVD player - I'm all ears

Ellory,

if you're out there....

I was thinking of buying this upconversion DVD player

Sony DVP-NS710H/B 1080p Upscaling DVD Player, Black

If I only have a 740? Panasonic Viera LCD TV - do I need this?

Also - if I'm not using HDMI and only using COMPOSITE - do I need this?

I don't really understand what it does and how it fits with my new tv.

Okay, I'll try to answer your myriad of questions, but first things first - it would be much easier to give you advice if you'd tell us what model TV and what model DVD player you have.

With that being said, if you're using S-video, then the video connection is handled entirely by the S-video cable. The audio connection is then handled by either a digital audio cable (one connection) or by composite audio (old-fashioned red / white connection where one is left channel and one is right channel).

The back of the player is no doubt standard, you just don't understand what all the connections are for. A lot of them are redundant. You basically have multiple options for video and multiple options for audio. Video can be handled in one of 4 ways. HDMI (one connection and it handles both video and audio), component (three individual connections, red, blue & green - video only), S-video (one connection, usually black, with 4 pins and an error proofing slot to make sure you plug it in correctly - video only) or composite (old-fashioned yellow RCA jack - video only). Your player will have one or more of these, and if there are more than one, that's where the redundancy comes in. I've listed them in order of quality.

Audio can be handled in 4 ways as well - HDMI (again, one connection and it handles both audio and video), digital optical (one connection - audio only), digital coax (one connection - audio only) or composite (old-fashioned red and white - audio only). Again, your player will have one or more of these, and I've listed them in order of quality, but I think either digital alternative is the same.

Armed with that knowledge, you should be able to hook up anything you want, it's just a matter of finding the right cable and sending it to the right input on your TV.

You mentioned an up-conversion player and I would certainly suggest one, as standard DVD players only output to 480 whereas your TV can handle 720 (or maybe even 1080), so an up-converting player in theory would be an improvement, and my opinion is that it's substantially noticeable so I would recommend it. Composite connections allow you to transmit HD signals, so even though you're not using HDMI, an up-converting player would still be an improvement. Although unless you TV doesn't have HDMI as an option, you should really use it if you do get an up-converting DVD player.

I don't personally care for Sony products, but I think at this stage in the game, you'll be happy with whatever player you get.

Regarding the other player and the stuck drawer, the best advice you're going to get is already in that other thread of yours. Start with a paperclip in the tiny hole on the front to manually open the drawer and see if the problem corrects itself. If not, try some of the other suggestions offered to you.

ChinaRider said: .

Regarding the other player and the stuck drawer, the best advice you're going to get is already in that other thread of yours. Start with a paperclip in the tiny hole on the front to manually open the drawer and see if the problem corrects itself. If not, try some of the other suggestions offered to you.

Thanks for the info it was helpful.

As for the other thread, I only saw one response about turning it upside down, I must not have received the other alert/s to the updated posts in the thread.

Thanks again!

Well I was going to say that to fix B&W on a DVD player is that you have the Y (Video) plug in a Component Jack. It does that.

A blu ray player will also upconvert DVDs. I don't know much about brands, but there were some amazing deals recently.

I actually have a DVD player made by rjtech that has a button on the front that turns on either interlace or progressive scan and the video would turn to black & white. Press it again everything is normal

On some TV's, the S-Video shares resources with the Yellow Composite Video input (Yellow for video, Red and White for audio). It was possible that you had one of the audio cables (red or white) plugged into the yellow that was sharing with the S-Video. It is also possible you had a yellow video cable plugged into it for another device.

[link to this post]
I'm using S Video - I also tried a brand new set of plugs in case a pin was bent, but still black and white.

Inside a svideo cable, two of the four pins carry the signal... one (pin 4) carries the chroma (color) and the other (pin 3) carries luminocity (black-and-white). It's still a signal you can see, and viewing pin 3 only shows a grey scale video. sounds like pin 4 or the circuitry behind it is not working. Time to replace something, problem could be at either end. good luck.

just to confirm, do any of the dvd menu's come out in color?

redrover said: I moved some of the video plugs around and now I have color. Strange set up in back of the DVD player.

Thanks to Ellory and & ChinaRider for the help.
Problem solved 4 days ago

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014