• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
A debt collector called my home today again, trying to get in contact with someone I do not know. I have told these people in the past I do not know who this person is and to please take me off of their calling list, but they continue to call. Today reached an all time high, when they left the following message saying...
Hey this is mrs. Reeds, I am trying to get in contact of R. Perez. I do have you listed as a contact number for him. It is extremely urgent that I speak with him today, no later than 6pm today. This is regard to file # 688*** , thats 688***. The number I can be reached at is 877-738-4814. You need to have Mr Perez or his registered representative contact me today... then she hangs up. ( note that this is all being said very loudly and rudely)
So, I call this 877 number, and a female answers the phone like it is her home number. I ask if I am calling a business. She says "what?" I ask again, "What business is this?" She screams at me, and I mean screams, "what is your case number". Again, I ask her what company she works for, and she again yells at me and asks for the case number. I ask her a third time for the name of the company she is working for and she tells me to F*** off, and then proceeds to hang up.
I call back immediately, and a man answers the phone. He answers with a tone, like he knew it was me calling back. I ask him if I have called a business. He states that he is confused with my question. I ask again, "what is the name of your company?" He says CR & Associates. I ask him where their company is located, and he starts going crazy on me. He wants to know why I am asking so may questions and wants to know why I don't already know the information I am asking.
He hangs up on me.
My question is, what recourse if any do I have against these people? I am a homeschooling mom of 2 children. I do not have the time or patience to deal with them on a daily basis. They ignore my requests to stop calling me, and curse me out when they do not get what they want. Is this legal?
Thank you for any suggestions you can offer.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
My cell was a pda type phone, dash. There are some software out there where it will instant record you pick up the phone... (more)

dairymtu (Aug. 27, 2008 @ 4:40p) |

They have connections that link in to the cell phones 2.5mm jack that connect into recorders.

codename47 (Aug. 27, 2008 @ 8:17p) |

Quick question(s). Sorry if they have been answered before, sure Google's my friend, but I like Codename47 more...

Keep ... (more)

Everythinghasavalue (Nov. 22, 2008 @ 11:44a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Check out creditboards, but if you're willing to invest a bit of time you might be able to make a decent chunk of change from suing them.

saseboy said: 877-738-4814I need some fun today, i'll call her at midnight for you.

Record the call next time.

<<<< paging codename47 >>>> <BEEP> <BEEP>

I'm bored - I'll give 'em a call when I get home. Maybe I will reverse the heat and try to collect from them. Thanks for the entertainment!

saseboy said: A debt collector called my home today again, trying to get in contact with someone I do not know. I have told these people in the past I do not know who this person is and to please take me off of their calling list, but they continue to call. Today reached an all time high, when they left the following message saying...
Hey this is mrs. Reeds, I am trying to get in contact of R. Perez. I do have you listed as a contact number for him. It is extremely urgent that I speak with him today, no later than 6pm today. This is regard to file # 688*** , thats 688***. The number I can be reached at is 877-738-4814. You need to have Mr Perez or his registered representative contact me today... then she hangs up. ( note that this is all being said very loudly and rudely)
So, I call this 877 number, and a female answers the phone like it is her home number. I ask if I am calling a business. She says "what?" I ask again, "What business is this?" She screams at me, and I mean screams, "what is your case number". Again, I ask her what company she works for, and she again yells at me and asks for the case number. I ask her a third time for the name of the company she is working for and she tells me to F*** off, and then proceeds to hang up.
I call back immediately, and a man answers the phone. He answers with a tone, like he knew it was me calling back. I ask him if I have called a business. He states that he is confused with my question. I ask again, "what is the name of your company?" He says CR & Associates. I ask him where their company is located, and he starts going crazy on me. He wants to know why I am asking so may questions and wants to know why I don't already know the information I am asking.
He hangs up on me.
My question is, what recourse if any do I have against these people? I am a homeschooling mom of 2 children. I do not have the time or patience to deal with them on a daily basis. They ignore my requests to stop calling me, and curse me out when they do not get what they want. Is this legal?

Man I wish these debt collectors would call me with this garbage. Here's a suggestion.... PROFIT!!!

I just googled the number and it seems what you experienced is common with them.

saseboy said: A debt collector called my home today again, trying to get in contact with someone I do not know. I have told these people in the past I do not know who this person is and to please take me off of their calling list, but they continue to call. Today reached an all time high, when they left the following message saying...
He hangs up on me.

Your recorse is the following
1) Do not return calls that do not belong to yopu
2) Report them to the phone company for harassment
3) Do not answer when they call.
4) If you do answer be rude to them

All this from personal experience with some bill callers that kept calling. FOr months I was nice explaining I just got the number and I did not know the person they was asking for. Being nice and polite got me called MF and other things like that. Finally I reported them to the phone company and started being rude. The calls stopped pretty fast after that.

Man, this is so easy. I don't know why you don't have a phone recorder already. Go buy a phone recorder, call them back, have a similar conversation, and sue.

oh, wait...Profit!!!

My question is, what recourse if any do I have against these people?
Sue them for state and Federal law violations. FDCPA plus whatever your state offers.

I am a homeschooling mom of 2 children. I do not have the time or patience to deal with them on a daily basis.
Well, you haven't sued them yet, so you must enjoy getting yelled at.

They ignore my requests to stop calling me, and curse me out when they do not get what they want. Is this legal?
No, it isn't legal, but if you are like most people you are just going to bellyache and not do anything about it. Why don't you record the call and sue them.

The below is an example of the typical weak consumer:

Your recorse is the following 1) Do not return calls that do not belong to yopu 2) Report them to the phone company for harassment 3) Do not answer when they call. 4) If you do answer be rude to them

I would most certainly call them back, tell them not to call again and see what they say. The phone company is not going to do anything. Not answering the call isn't going to make it stop. Being rude won't either.

are recorded calls (where the other person is not aware of the recording) admissable in court? Or do you have to let them know you are recording the conversation?

sfvera said: are recorded calls (where the other person is not aware of the recording) admissable in court? Or do you have to let them know you are recording the conversation?

Depends on the jurisdiction of the taping party. I'd be real sure you are in a jurisdiction that doesn't require notification before taking CN47s advice!

Should I write them a certified letter, requesting to be taken off of their call list? I saved the message they left for me today on my answering machine, at no time during the message do they state what company they are calling for, and that they are attempting to collect a debt.

are recorded calls (where the other person is not aware of the recording) admissable in court?
always in Federal court, which is where you should be suing anyway.

Or do you have to let them know you are recording the conversation?
The legality vs the admissability of a recording is not the same thing everywhere. Generally, NO you do not have to let someone know you are recording. Most companies give the "calls may be recorded" disclaimer, which allows you to freely record without any problems. A recording could be legally made and not admissible or potentially not legally made and admissible.

Should I write them a certified letter, requesting to be taken off of their call list? I saved the message they left for me today on my answering machine, at no time during the message do they state what company they are calling for, and that they are attempting to collect a debt.

Are you insane? You've been told what to do. Don't write a certified letter. Go get a recorder, call them up, record the call, and have a similar type conversation. Make sure you tell them not to call your number ever again and state the date on the call. This is not hard.

The message may or may not violate, but that doesn't matter, if you lack the intestinal fortitude to DO something about it.

sfvera said: are recorded calls (where the other person is not aware of the recording) admissable in court? Or do you have to let them know you are recording the conversation?

This depends on the state, but in general as long as it is a business call and one party is aware of the recording its legal. Its a bit different when its a personal call, since the other party has a certain expectation of privacy. (thats where state rules come into play -- I used to sell recording equipment at Radio Shack when I was in College. You would be amazed how many sets we sold.)

Most likely the people you were talking to WERE at home, and contracted to telework. If they have a work phone to recieve the forwarded calls (or caller ID is working correctly) then they know when its a work call.

Not sure if you can claim FDCPA violation since its not your account, and they aren't threatening YOUR Credit. I would look up CR&A on the internet and send them a pointed Cease and Desist letter, which will improve your case if you DO have to sue them.

I had this same problem when I moved to a new city...collection calls all the time for someone named Bernice Laskey. They drove me crazy, but I didn't start worrying until the collect calls from the prison started!

I ended up dropping the land line and going cell only.

I will do this today. Thank You.

Not sure if you can claim FDCPA violation since its not your account, and they aren't threatening YOUR Credit. I would look up CR&A on the internet and send them a pointed Cease and Desist letter, which will improve your case if you DO have to sue them.
Go read the FDCPA, then go back and post. The fact of an account belonging to a person or not or them threatening your credit doesn't matter.

Sending a C/D is not required and will not improve your chances, at all. She already has a solid case, if she only had some evidence to present to a judge other than "i told them to stop..."

codename47 said: are recorded calls (where the other person is not aware of the recording) admissable in court?
always in Federal court, which is where you should be suing anyway.

Or do you have to let them know you are recording the conversation?
The legality vs the admissability of a recording is not the same thing everywhere. Generally, NO you do not have to let someone know you are recording. Most companies give the "calls may be recorded" disclaimer, which allows you to freely record without any problems. A recording could be legally made and not admissible or potentially not legally made and admissible.

Are you insane? You've been told what to do. Don't write a certified letter. Go get a recorder, call them up, record the call, and have a similar type conversation. Make sure you tell them not to call your number ever again and state the date on the call. This is not hard.

The message may or may not violate, but that doesn't matter, if you lack the intestinal fortitude to DO something about it.

Thanks. I will do this today. After I get them on tape, what do I do?

RedWolfe01 said: .................Not sure if you can claim FDCPA violation since its not your account, and they aren't threatening YOUR Credit. I would look up CR&A on the internet and send them a pointed Cease and Desist letter, which will improve your case if you DO have to sue them.

Doesn't matter whose the debt is. If you tell them to stop calling and they call, they violated the act.

I called CR and Associates at 877-738-4814 too; that Debbie lady
found on Google :
Calls From (877) 738-4814
According to 1 reports the identity of this caller is 609-945-7393

Thanks. I will do this today. After I get them on tape, what do I do?
go to naca.net, find a consumer laweyer and sue their buttocks off.

Well, I am having a similar problem. I live in a university owned apartment, which comes with phone service. The previous tenant here owned Verizon a small bill. I keep receiving automatic calls and mails from Verizon for that bill once about every 2 weeks for the past year. I once opened the bill by mistake, and found that the bill was just about $3. The calls were automatic, and I could not even speak to any one. I noted on every returned mail that this person had moved and no longer lived here, but I still keep receiving that bill and calls.

jnfengke said: The previous tenant here owned Verizon a small bill. I keep receiving automatic calls and mails from Verizon for that billSo you now have the same phone number as the previous tenant ?

Gee, would "f*** off" be considered language intended to harass, abuse, or annoy a consumer?
Slam dunk if it had been on tape.

jnfengke said: Well, I am having a similar problem. I live in a university owned apartment, which comes with phone service. The previous tenant here owned Verizon a small bill. I keep receiving automatic calls and mails from Verizon for that bill once about every 2 weeks for the past year. I once opened the bill by mistake, and found that the bill was just about $3. The calls were automatic, and I could not even speak to any one. I noted on every returned mail that this person had moved and no longer lived here, but I still keep receiving that bill and calls.
If it's 3 bucks just pay it off instead of paying $20 bucks to a doctor for getting stressed out or getting a high blood pressure

lostdude said: saseboy said: 877-738-4814I need some fun today, i'll call her at midnight for you.

I am willing to pitch in too. I will take the 1 AM shift.

codename47 said: Man, this is so easy. I don't know why you don't have a phone recorder already. Go buy a phone recorder, call them back, have a similar conversation, and sue.

oh, wait...Profit!!!

In order to sue, she needs an address and business name.

Why don't you have her give them your phone number. So you can sue them

tolamapS said: codename47 said: Man, this is so easy. I don't know why you don't have a phone recorder already. Go buy a phone recorder, call them back, have a similar conversation, and sue.

oh, wait...Profit!!!

In order to sue, she needs an address and business name.

Call, get harassed, call back, get address to mail payment. Sue payment address.

Christopher adams is the guy whose voicemail picked up. Make sure you name him individually in the complaint.

CR & CC Associates
2697 International Parkway # 4 Ste 270
Virginia Beach, VA 23452-7803

You can probably mail it there.

Just called for fun but the call did not go through as it said.."Not accepting calls from hidden caller id"

I have had debt collectors calling me for about two years about someone I've never heard of, so I feel your pain. They just sell it to another bottom feeder & it starts over.

So I just decided to call them too, waste some of their time... the lady told me they "have offices in 53 states."

This is a slam dunk. Tell us how much you get out of them when you sue.

I called back today, and the only thing the lady would say to me is, " Mam, this is CR & Associates, we have offices in 43 states. Please give me your account number." I have contacted a lawyer that is experienced with these fraudulent debt collection practices, and hopefully they will be eating every word they left on my machine....
Will keep you updated as things progress.

Wow, I feel your pain. We moved to a new house a year ago, and got a new phone number. Apparently, the guy who had the number before us did not pay his bills, because we always get calls from some bill collector at least once a week for a year. About two weeks ago, I told them "Please stop calling this number. We do not know XXX. He had this phone number before we did...." Then, the guy says, "well according to the White Pages, you are XXX", I then become irate and say that the white pages are wrong, and he said they were just updated, so I need to tell him where XXX is. I immediately ask to speak with his manager, and he puts her on. I explain the whole situation to her, and she reluctantly agrees with me. So a few days later, they call again. This time it is a woman, and when I explain I don't know XXX, she starts talking over me, and asking me where he is. I hang up on her, and call the number back to see what the company is. Well, the guy from the first day answers, and didn't tell me the name of the company, but just starts asking me where XXX is. I called the phone company at this point, and they told me to block the number. Of course, that did not work since the company has multiple numbers. Well, two days later, they call again asking for XXX. I didn't bother saying I wasn't XXX, and simply asked for the company's name. He told me, and I said ok thank you and hung up. As a last resort, I called the white pages to correct our phone listing. This was a week ago, and they haven't called since. If they had or if they do again, I am going to file a complaint with the attorney general next. I will definitely be taking legal action if they continue to call me a liar and ask why I won't give XXX the phone and scream at me. That is harassment.

I worked in collections in college for a trash company, and I never acted like that. I hated that job and was lousy at it. If I got the person, and they said they didn't have the money, I would say ok and that's it. If I got the wrong number, I would change it in the system. Maybe third party collection agencies get nastier.

codename47 said: Christopher adams is the guy whose voicemail picked upFrom the sound of his voice, he was drunk (or otherwise extremely relaxed) when recording this message

smellymeow said: Wow, I feel your pain. We moved to a new house a year ago, and got a new phone number. Apparently, the guy who had the number before us did not pay his bills, because we always get calls from some bill collector at least once a week for a year. About two weeks ago, I told them "Please stop calling this number. We do not know XXX. He had this phone number before we did...." Then, the guy says, "well according to the White Pages, you are XXX", I then become irate and say that the white pages are wrong, and he said they were just updated, so I need to tell him where XXX is. I immediately ask to speak with his manager, and he puts her on. I explain the whole situation to her, and she reluctantly agrees with me. So a few days later, they call again. This time it is a woman, and when I explain I don't know XXX, she starts talking over me, and asking me where he is. I hang up on her, and call the number back to see what the company is. Well, the guy from the first day answers, and didn't tell me the name of the company, but just starts asking me where XXX is. I called the phone company at this point, and they told me to block the number. Of course, that did not work since the company has multiple numbers. Well, two days later, they call again asking for XXX. I didn't bother saying I wasn't XXX, and simply asked for the company's name. He told me, and I said ok thank you and hung up. As a last resort, I called the white pages to correct our phone listing. This was a week ago, and they haven't called since. If they had or if they do again, I am going to file a complaint with the attorney general next. I will definitely be taking legal action if they continue to call me a liar and ask why I won't give XXX the phone and scream at me. That is harassment.

I worked in collections in college for a trash company, and I never acted like that. I hated that job and was lousy at it. If I got the person, and they said they didn't have the money, I would say ok and that's it. If I got the wrong number, I would change it in the system. Maybe third party collection agencies get nastier.

Why wait for the next call? You already asked them not to call once and they continue calling. It does not matter whose debt it is, whose name is listed in white/yellow pages, etc - you asked them not to call, they continue calling. Violation. Sue them - don't wait.

We should just start a thread with CN47's info. Every time someone calls asking for xxxxxxx, tell them he no longer lives there, but has moved to CN47's address with the new number. Then keep a running total of how much money CN47 makes.

just called for a little lunch-time entertainment

If you are getting mad and want some revenge (and are dedicated to the cause), buy a classified ad in your newspaper advertising your services as a collections call testing service at $5,000 a call. Wait for them to call again, write up a report and send it to them along with a bill. I've read about people doing this in the past and they ended up winning in court.

Otherwise if you just want them to stop bothering you, send them a certified letter telling them to validate the debt. Since the debt is not yours, there is no possible way they can validate it against you. You might even make the problem go away for person they are going after.

EDIT: A debt collector can legally continue to call you unless you ask them to validate the debt, unless they are doing it with the intent to harass you. If they play within the rules, they legally can you every day or so until you demand validation. "Intent" is obviously a subjective term of course.

Skipping 23 Messages...
Quick question(s). Sorry if they have been answered before, sure Google's my friend, but I like Codename47 more...

Keep getting a call asking for James Bond (fake name...) I'm not James Bond, Don't know James Bond. Message says if you are James Bond Press 1, if you are not James Bond hang up.

So If I want to go codename47 on them, can I record the call and press 1 (which says I am James Bond?) Then tell them I'm not James, and stop calling. Or by claiming I am James Bond, does that cause trouble?

Related question. When they keep calling, after I record me telling them to stop. How does one get an address for them? Would I claim I want to send in a payment?

Thanks for any advice.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014