Has anyone done the Grand Canyon Skywalk

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi
Not sure if I need request in the title.
It looks interesting but expensive. about 75.00 pp
I am considering 12-26 thru 12-31 from ORD. I really dont want to fly into Vegas as then I will want to gamble instead of sight see.
What is the weather like in December? Too cold to do this??
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

speiden said:
What is the weather like in December?

Got 'shrooms?

It's really cold at Grand Canyon in Dec. Some roads are closed.

its only 30 bucks pp...

Actually in the West Rim it's much warmer when compared to the South Rim. The South Rim only averages somewhere in the low 40's in December and it usually snows there in Decmeber, but the West Rim averages in the mid 60's in December. It's usually pretty nice weather in the West Rim.

speaking of grand canyon, i am planning a trip during thxgiving and plan to visit south rim from vegas and to page,az from g canyon and take interstate 15 to get back to vegas.. hows the road(Hwy 89?) that connects page,az to interstate 15. -- is it mountaneous terrain or straight road?? thanx

rsriram22 said: speaking of grand canyon, i am planning a trip during thxgiving and plan to visit south rim from vegas and to page,az from g canyon and take interstate 15 to get back to vegas.. hows the road(Hwy 89?) that connects page,az to interstate 15. -- is it mountaneous terrain or straight road?? thanx

It has some big grade changes but few "cliffs" to worry about. It is definitely not flat and straight. You will see a lot of different terrain, climate zones, etc. If it is still open, go to the north rim, it is much quieter. The north rim road can close early due to snow, it is at 8900 feet. Only if the north rim is closed, would I go to the South Rim.

North rim will be most certainly closed in December due to snow. I have been to South rim last year during christmas and it was cold- but not to someone whois from Chicago. There will be snow in road around GC, but it was for the most part driveable. IMO, skywalk is more of a hype than a real thing you want to see.

* Grand Canyon West "Legacy", (Entrance fee to Grand Canyon West): The adult rate for the Legacy Pass is $43.05 per adult (including tax) This gives you access to any of the points of interest as well as parking and a hop-on/hop-off shuttle that travels to each location daily every 10-15 minutes.
* Skywalk Admission fee (Admission onto the Skywalk): Admission onto the Skywalk is $32.05 per adult. (Including tax)

You have to pay $43.05 to get to the Skywalk even if you don't decide to step on it. You can't drive there on your own, you must take a shuttle.

big ripoff...dont take it...

it's basically a large dontation to the hualapai tribe!

rsriram22 said: speaking of grand canyon, i am planning a trip during thxgiving and plan to visit south rim from vegas and to page,az from g canyon and take interstate 15 to get back to vegas.. hows the road(Hwy 89?) that connects page,az to interstate 15. -- is it mountaneous terrain or straight road?? thanx

I did the drive from Vega to the south rim, it took a LOT longer than expected, we got there at supper time, so we stayed the night on the rim in one of the on-site hotels. The view at night is great!
The road from the main highway into the south rim takes about 1 hour, so it was worth it staying on-site. The motel type rooms are lousy but like all real-estate the (location location location ) makes up for it.

vickh said: it's basically a large dontation to the hualapai tribe!

and the tribe gets high using that money..

We actually stopped over there during a road trip from Houston to SF-end of June 2008. A word of caution if you decide to drive there yourself rather than take a tour bus: The road leading to the West Rim (Native American reservation), is a 15 mile-I believe-DIRT road-by dirt I mean dirt and sand, top speed I could do was 15mph. This was the most daunting part of our journey, taking an hour and a half. Once you overcome this obstacle there is very well paved road leading the entrance of the west rim-very scenic. Upon our arrival we were just bleed dry with all the entrance fees: Parking fee, entrance fee for two people (this gives you access the west rims attractions, including the skybridge), then an extra charge for walking on the skybridge for two people. I don't remember the exact cost of each component but it was about $250 for both of us for the whole experience. We finally get to the skybridge, first thing you need to leave all your valuables in a locker-they don't want you throw anything over...apparently people had been doing this when they first opened, I get this. Now before you get on you have to wear booties (shoe covers) to protect the skybride...REDCICULOUS. They then take pictures of people with these 'shoe covers' on and try to sell it to you for some exorbitant price. So, ask we walk around we were expecting to see the grand cannon floor, but no. The way they build this structure was not on a vertical cliff but one with a gradient, so all you see if the side of a cliff... definitely NOT what was advertized! All in all a very poor experience! I almost forgot the best part, as we walked off, we noticed some duck tape on the skybridge floor concealing a crack. With the amount they charge for this S#%T I am surprised they can't afford to safely fix the thing!!! This still cracks us up to this very day.

South Rim is the BEST RIM to visit GC.....but u might need to call ranger office and find if they are opened or not.......SOUTH or NOTH RIM.....But SOUTH RIM..there is lot to see...i was confused which RIM i should go...so...after checking on many sites,frds and other sources.....SOUTH RIM is the BEST BEST and it got lot of points to see.........it is just AWESOME!!!

big rip off don't do it.... I was so disappointed...go to the south rim, much better and cheap.... seriously, it is horrible and it is just a big money machine...

Bungee jump it

Having done several trips to the canyon, here are some reccomendations:
1. The North rim is nice and forested, but the visitas are limited and require long drives. It's also 2+ hours in off of the main road. In December you also risk weather closures, and there is only one hotel there (nice, but not cheap). There's not much for hotels even back on the main road - you are either stay at the North Rim Lodge or 3+ hours from the park.

2. I have heard nothing good about the SkyWalk. We never did it ourselves due to the high price. I have heard that they do not allow you even to take pictures from the SkyWalk.

3. The South Rim is cold but beautiful that time of year. If you avoid the holiday week, you will have the place mostly to yourself. Last I knew, in the winter nearly all the roads along the canyon (including West of the visitor's center) are open to car traffic (over the summer you have to rely on the shuttle busses). If you go to the South rim, take the time to drive out the East exit. It is well worth the added drive. You can spend the night in Flagstaff. There are a number of choices for lodging at the rim and 45 minutes out (outside the main gate).

If you want to avoid Vegas, other Canyons worth seeing in the general area are:
- Antelope Canyon (Near Page AZ on the Indian Reservation) - Need to go Mid-Day for the best pictures
- Bryce Canyon (I personally like this better than the Grand Cayon)
- Zion Canyon (Great place for hiking, very impressive)

If you fly into Vegas, take the Interstate from St. George back to Las Vegas - you go through an incredibly beautiful (and unmarked) canyon on the Zion river.

biggest downside of the skywalk tour is that they don't allow you to take any cameras. at least that was the case when i went in '07.

speiden said: Hi
Not sure if I need request in the title.
It looks interesting but expensive. about 75.00 pp
I am considering 12-26 thru 12-31 from ORD. I really dont want to fly into Vegas as then I will want to gamble instead of sight see.
What is the weather like in December? Too cold to do this??
Any thoughts would be appreciated

If you really want to "sight see".
Why not fly into Phoenix and drive to the South Rim from there?

Shorter distance, and very scenic from the moment you ascend the Mogollon Rim.

Take the route through Oak Creek Canyon for maximum splendicity.

Then you get to see the "Real" Grand Canyon.

"West Rim"?

Vegas marketing...don't bother.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014