• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Open to non-Delaware residents as well:

http://deldot.gov/public.ejs?command=PublicNewsDisplay&id=4161

Make Holiday Travel Easier with a Free E-ZPass Transponder

DMV to Offer Free Transponder for New E-ZPass Accounts

Dover -- Holiday travel can be a hassle with crowds and weather, but you can make one part of your trip easier. The Delaware Department of Transportation's (DelDOT) Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is pleased to announce that beginning on Tuesday, November 1, anyone opening a new E-ZPass account will receive a free transponder for their vehicle, which usually costs $25.

"E-ZPass is an effective year-round tool that can be used to make travel in Delaware and around the region easier and more convenient, in addition to the ability to use the highway speed E-ZPass lanes" said DMV Director Jennifer Cohan. "By offering this free transponder for each new account, we are providing users with the opportunity to take advantage of this wonderful resource, while also ensuring that we keep our toll facilities throughout the state running efficiently."

There are many easy and convenient ways for you to open a new account and receive your free transponder:

- Visit the Delaware E-ZPass Customer Service Center at 26 Old Rudnick Lane in Dover, Delaware
- Call the Delaware E-ZPass Customer Service Center at 1-888-397-2773
- Go to www.ezpassde.com and click on "Get E-ZPass"
- Visit the I-95 Newark Toll Plaza 1200 Whitaker Road Newark, Delaware (24/7)
- Visit the Biddle's Corner Toll Plaza 2111 DuPont Highway in Middletown, Delaware (24/7)
- Visit the Dover Toll Plaza 200 Plaza Drive in Dover, Delaware (24/7)

This opportunity is only for a limited time and will end on Saturday, December 31. For more information or to sign up for a new account, please visit www.ezpassde.com.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I noticed that sign too.

This weekend I decided to see how much I could shave off the tolls on the NJ Turnpike since the ... (more)

BrlDsguise (Feb. 27, 2012 @ 7:10a) |

Good to know that! Thanks!

xuanyun (Apr. 02, 2012 @ 7:36p) |

Entering Manhattan at carpool rate of $3.50 instead of $8 is cool. Does anyone know some kind of carpool registration to... (more)

SinglePapa (Apr. 02, 2012 @ 7:52p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Hasn't NY always sold it free?

SinglePapa said:   Hasn't NY always sold it free?
I believe so. I know you can go into several stores in NY and but one for $25 that includes $25 to your account

Does this one require a monthly service fee?

So this offer is ONLY of value to people, who are somehow locked-out of opening NY account. Who is locked out?

SinglePapa is right,E-Z Pass always free if you request it from NY with $25 credit on your account. Regardless of your state residency.

The OP was sharing some information about the Delaware program, not evaluating the entire E-ZPass system and comparing the ins and outs of each States program. Thanks OP for sharing! SinglePapa, while it is nice of you to point out that NY also offers their transponders for free, I don't see the point in belaboring the issue. Can we try and be a little more productive since we have someone posting a valid post in the Travel Forum?

Instead of stating this is ONLY of value..., why don't we thank the OP and say in addition, you can also get them for free here? Then we have a productive thread without the need of belittling the OP.

Thanks for the post, savvyseller.

The EZ-Pass syster is complicated and always seems to be changing. I started with a DE pass, until they started charging a monthly fee. Then I switched to MD, where I actually live, until they started doing the same. Currently, I'm with MA, where my family lives. I believe MA is currently the only state free of both monthly maintence fees and charges for the transponder. And--although I'm not 100 percent sure--I don't believe they restrict participation to MA residents.

Yes - I live in MA and the transponder is free and no monthly charges, this went in to effect last year. I my self however have a NY transponder for last 6 years as it was free in NY for years and no monthly fee as well. Only way you can get a NY transponder free if you are out of state is from a shop - to get it on-line you need to be a NY resident, if you get it from a shop - you pay $ 25 and comes with $ 10 credit, once you create an on-line account, you need to give them a C.Card for file, then you get $15 more credited to your account. In case of MA - there is no shop to pick it, they send it only by mail.

VA has NO monthly charge

I got three transponders for free from MassDOT Fastlane. You have to fund it with an initial amount of $20 and provide a credit card number for re-funding the account on an as needed basis. There are no monthly fees. All the transponders on a single account are linked so you can get up to four free transponders and fund all of them with the initial $20.

Also note that when you use the link above, if you choose a state other than Mass, you will be redirected to the selected state's system. Just choose Mass and you have an oppurtunity to put your actual address at a later time. The transponders came in the mail after just a few days.

When I was researching this, I was concerned that I would not be getting the PA discount (vs. using cash) for EZ-Pass as the PA turnpike has recently started increasing cash tolls at a greater rate than those for EZ-Pass but from what I read, you still get the EZ-Pass discount if you are using a transponder from another state's system. I also found a list of compatible systems to determine that the Fastlane and EZ-Pass were compatible. There are a bunch of other states that are part of the system so if you are unsure, search for a listing.

Thanks, I'm in DE so this works out well. I was trying to get the NY one, but the 7-11 they listed as selling them, never had them... Looks like this offer only works for 1 transponder, other transponder still require a $25 deposit, but better than nothing.

Does DE one has monthly charge? How about NY one?

xuanyun said:   Does DE one has monthly charge? How about NY one?
While I am not sure about DE, NY does not have a monthly charge.

Not sure if it is still the case, but it used to be that there were several Authorities that issued E-ZPass in NY. Some of them would have monthly fee, and some would not.

I'm not aware of ANY charges in ny, nor am I aware that resident of any state would have any difficulty acquiring totally free ny account and totally free ny transponder. Here is an interesting twist: well-known is the fact that most residents of NYC do not own a car, thus using EZpass when renting cars. Later, especially with kids in the house, transponder is hard to physically find, LOL. I buy $30 transponder kits at stores, add new transponder to my existing account - and enjoy $30 to travel. I'm being told that if I declared any transponder LOST, account would be penalized like $40 or something. But as long as I don't declare - no consequences! is there any limit to this loophole?

SinglePapa said:   I'm not aware of ANY charges in ny, ...

Take a look at this, section 16.
"PANYNJ monthly Account service fee $1.00". I think it still depends on Authority issuing your tag.

SinglePapa said:   I'm not aware of ANY charges in ny, nor am I aware that resident of any state would have any difficulty acquiring totally free ny account and totally free ny transponder. Here is an interesting twist: well-known is the fact that most residents of NYC do not own a car, thus using EZpass when renting cars. Later, especially with kids in the house, transponder is hard to physically find, LOL. I buy $30 transponder kits at stores, add new transponder to my existing account - and enjoy $30 to travel. I'm being told that if I declared any transponder LOST, account would be penalized like $40 or something. But as long as I don't declare - no consequences! is there any limit to this loophole?

Only that if it did get into someone else's hands and they started using it on their vehicle, it would be drawing from your account. It would be pretty stupid for someone to try this though because if you were paying attention to your account and then reported it stolen, it should be pretty easy to track down as they can take photos of your license plate as you go through.

By the way, here is a link showing a map of compatible facilities. If you buy a transponder on any one of these facilities, you can use it any of the others. So, even though I got the Fastlane transponders from MassDOT, I can use it on E-Z Pass facilities or any of the others shown on this map. Also, as I mentioned before, you still get the same discounted rates over paying cash (if applicable) as if you were using that facility's own transponder.

I don't believe Delaware charges a monthly fee.

Bah my transponder is from PA.. I had no idea they were charging a monthly fee.

Are you guys sure you aren't being charged a monthly fee and just don't realize it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass#Fees_for_E-ZPass_Personal_Account_by_State

Slider said:   Are you guys sure you aren't being charged a monthly fee and just don't realize it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass#Fees_for_E-ZPass_Personal_Account_by_State

To supplement for everyone concerned about Delaware charging a monthly fee, the above link shows, as well as directly on the Delaware site that there is not a monthly fee with Delaware transponders.

Excerpt from Delaware site (Bolding mine):

Q: Why is DelDOT charging the $25 Transponder Fee?
A: As the E-ZPass program matures and continues to grow in popularity, the toll agencies are realizing the staggering cost of transponders and their replacement. There are many methods being used to recoup the investment in transponders. DelDOT has elected to charge this one-time fee while others charge monthly or annual fees.

Normally, Delaware elects to charge a $25 security deposit; however, it is waived with the current promotion. You still place a $25 balance on each transponder, but all of it goes towards tolls.

Please keep in mind, terms are always subject to change and they could start implementing monthly fees at any time.

I just wanted to share the I'm a MD resident and I called the DE EZ-Pass Customer Service Line (888-397-2773) to order my EZ-Pass transponder. They didn't even question the fact that I was MD resident at all. I look forward to enjoying the ICC in MD once I get my transponder in the mail.

geizig said:   Thanks for the post, savvyseller.

The EZ-Pass syster is complicated and always seems to be changing. I started with a DE pass, until they started charging a monthly fee. Then I switched to MD, where I actually live, until they started doing the same. Currently, I'm with MA, where my family lives. I believe MA is currently the only state free of both monthly maintence fees and charges for the transponder. And--although I'm not 100 percent sure--I don't believe they restrict participation to MA residents.

Sorry to bump this thread but I'm considering getting a free EZ Pass transponder for use in PA (my residence) but when starting the sign-up on the massDOT site, it asks what state I reside in. If I choose another state it redirects me to that state's EZ Pass page. If I choose MA, am I violating the terms of their contract which could result in termination or a fine ?

who says there are ANY fees in NY?

SinglePapa said:   who says there are ANY fees in NY?
see my post above for reference

I buy $30 transponder kit in NY to use on rental vehicles for every trip to FL, multiple times every year. I make toll-free call to assign new transponder to my long-standing NY account, and instantly receive $30 credit. I've never seen any charges

what jerks those NJ officials are! NJ turnpike overhead ads read: "EZpass kits now available at every service isle" So I took a look: their stores sell $25 kit for $31! Plus $1 monthly fee

SinglePapa said:   what jerks those NJ officials are! NJ turnpike overhead ads read: "EZpass kits now available at every service isle" So I took a look: their stores sell $25 kit for $31! Plus $1 monthly fee

I noticed that sign too.

This weekend I decided to see how much I could shave off the tolls on the NJ Turnpike since the EZ Pass toll from 4 to 14C (Holland Tunnel) is now $10.25 on weekends for a passenger car.

Driving to New York I would have taken 4 to 13 since I was driving through Staten Island to Long Island a $6.50 toll - instead I took 295 to 195 and got on at 7A then exited at 10 and took 440 to Staten Island which was a $4.00 toll. Not bad since it only adds a few miles to the drive.

Coming home through the Holland Tunnel I took the Pulaski Skyway and entered the NJT at 13A instead of 14C and then exited at 7A which was a $4.60 toll instead of $10.25 a $5.65 savings - most of it coming from bypassing the exit 14 extension.

So in total $8.15 in savings for approximately 10 miles/10 minutes extra driving. For me taking 295 to 7A instead of 4 was not that big a savings - but coming over the DMB it would save $4.50 for a passenger car on a weekend using EZ Pass.

BrlDsguise said:   SinglePapa said:   what jerks those NJ officials are! NJ turnpike overhead ads read: "EZpass kits now available at every service isle" So I took a look: their stores sell $25 kit for $31! Plus $1 monthly fee

I noticed that sign too.

This weekend I decided to see how much I could shave off the tolls on the NJ Turnpike since the EZ Pass toll from 4 to 14C (Holland Tunnel) is now $10.25 on weekends for a passenger car.

Driving to New York I would have taken 4 to 13 since I was driving through Staten Island to Long Island a $6.50 toll - instead I took 295 to 195 and got on at 7A then exited at 10 and took 440 to Staten Island which was a $4.00 toll. Not bad since it only adds a few miles to the drive.

Coming home through the Holland Tunnel I took the Pulaski Skyway and entered the NJT at 13A instead of 14C and then exited at 7A which was a $4.60 toll instead of $10.25 a $5.65 savings - most of it coming from bypassing the exit 14 extension.

So in total $8.15 in savings for approximately 10 miles/10 minutes extra driving. For me taking 295 to 7A instead of 4 was not that big a savings - but coming over the DMB it would save $4.50 for a passenger car on a weekend using EZ Pass.

Good to know that! Thanks!

Entering Manhattan at carpool rate of $3.50 instead of $8 is cool. Does anyone know some kind of carpool registration to decrease a regular Verrazano rate?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.