• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Beware of Spirit Airlines. We got bumped, then tried to use their voucher -- no go. They put the wrong date on the voucher by one day and had to go to the airport to get them to reissue the voucher, then when I tried to book the trip, they said it wasn't available for December 1. Spirit charges $2 for coffee and soda and you can't tilt your seat back. Avoid Spirit, trust me, you will do better on another airline.

I did some research and found that in Nov. they will be charging $100 for carry-on luggage.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
So you took a voluntary bump not a forced bump (where you could have gotten a real refund)?

Was the vouchers for free tic... (more)

rasheedb (Sep. 07, 2012 @ 12:46p) |

Drinks: free.
Bathroom: $50/use.

BrianGa (Sep. 07, 2012 @ 9:53p) |

The "bump" was not voluntary. Spirit gave me a "free" voucher for anywhere they fly in addition to flying me home from ... (more)

docmary (Nov. 16, 2012 @ 8:02a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Waiting anxiously for the lav fee.

The $100 is only if you try to sneak the bag on at the the gate. Spirit vouchers and frequent flier miles require some degree of flexibility. If you need a particular date, I would keep trying. December 1 is not a terribly busy flying day. If you keep calling, you may get the date you want.

When I booked my last two frequent flier trips, I wanted and could not get October 1, but did get October 2, right away. I have successfully cashed in 3 frequently flier mile tickets on them. They penalize you if you don't view their trips as a game where you must have some knowledge of the rules.....

this is old news.....Spirit is the fruggle airline, if you can bring just a backpack that you can toss under the seat then you can get a super cheap middle saet.

If you want to bring your family of 10, and your a large person, and bring a ton of bags, and want to all sit together, it sounds like you need a private jet, sounds like your important enough for one.

Otherwise your going to get what you pay for, Spirit is a no thrills cattle shop, they would let you stand if it were legal, like a city bus.

I still think Jetblue is the best overall value by far out there. However I have not flown VX yet.

http://www.spirit.com/optionalfees.aspx

Effective Nov 6 2012, if paid at time of booking
Checked Bags = $30
Carry-On's = $30
$5 more if selected at online checking.

If you're too stupid to know ahead of time how many bags you're having at the time of OLCI, or too stupid to use OLCI, you shouldn't be flying, much less on a no-frill airline like NK.

We can all take off on time if all airlines start punishing morons who insist on fitting their oversized bags into overheads bins.

Of course, typical "news" outlets wouldn't mention these facts.

DeGlass said:   http://www.spirit.com/optionalfees.aspx

Effective Nov 6 2012, if paid at time of booking
Checked Bags = $30
Carry-On's = $30
$5 more if selected at online checking.

If you're too stupid to know ahead of time how many bags you're having at the time of OLCI, or too stupid to use OLCI, you shouldn't be flying, much less on a no-frill airline like NK.

We can all take off on time if all airlines start punishing morons who insist on fitting their oversized bags into overheads bins.

Of course, typical "news" outlets wouldn't mention these facts.

They tend to be less sociopathic and hostile.

Spirit Airlines, the same company that refused to refund a cancer stricken, dying Vietnam vet his $197 ticket.fox news link

es-spirit airlines es-sucks.

I guess that is going to make the $5 Pepsi even more expensive

If it bothers you, then stop flying with them. Surely there are other airlines in your area.

markalli said:   Well I haven't flew from Spirit Ever but my cousin got dumped in the same way and the issue was some voucher claim and they were very rude to him and on coming back he refused to go with spirit quoting 'worst airline ever' and wasted his return ticket and bought AA and came back.

Does Fat wallet charge you for punctuation?

anubis57 said:   markalli said:   Well I haven't flew from Spirit Ever but my cousin got dumped in the same way and the issue was some voucher claim and they were very rude to him and on coming back he refused to go with spirit quoting 'worst airline ever' and wasted his return ticket and bought AA and came back.Does Fat wallet charge you for punctuation?Limited text plan, evidently.

I'm just trying to redeem my worthless vouchers they gave me when they bumped me in Cancun, Mexico. I was told that my "class" of travel was not acceptable--in other words, they want paying customers. They forget, that I was a paying customer and was bumped through no fault of my own. I booked my flight to Aruba (Oct. 30 - Dec. 7) through AirTran after spending several days trying unsuccessfully to book it through Spirit.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Spirit. I understand that this is relative, because I never flew much (because, as another poster mentioned, I am a large man - so it's easier to drive places than deal with buying two seats and being cramped being 6'6) - but it was perfect for me. They had huge seats for $50 dollar upgrades instead of sometimes thousands of dollars elsewhere. I've flown to Vegas twice with them, first class with a backpack, for $200 round trip. Never had a late flight with them. Everyone was nice. Didn't expect anything free so I wasn't disappointed when I got nothing free.

Spirit is a fantastic airline if you're willing to play by their rules and their game. If you want YOUR game to fly on their airlines, you'll probably come up very unhappy.

And as far as the dying vet - the CEO apologized, refunded and made an additional donation after realizing corporate policy wasn't nearly as enriching as compassion:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/04/spirit-caves-airline-boss-r...

Oh good Lord! Please read this carefully: SPIRIT is a LOW BUDGET carrier. Nothing more. It absolutely makes me look at your posts in disgust bashing a dollar store in the sky complaining they don't carry your brand of toilet paper. Whaa. If you don't like Spirit, don't F***ing give them your business. Pay hundreds more for AA & Delta fr the same route. It used to be I hated Spirit with a passion. Now I realize I hate people more. When did you braintrusts think you were entitled for a damned thing???? Re the carryon? DO YOU REALLY NEED A CARRYON ON THE DAMNED PLANE? Laptop, maybe. Purse, yeah. WTF do you have in your carryon that is so critical?

hard2hold said:   ... Pay hundreds more for AA & Delta fr the same route...They are a discount airline and I agree, one needs to look at total cost, but many times the cost is only a few dollars less than a real airline. Meaning one that adequately staffs their counters and has a modicum of customer service. I have found, the cost difference is rarely "hundred", unless you talking about a short-notice flight (even then, not always true) or it you happen to "luck" into one of their sales for part of the flight.

Many folks problem isn't the pricing model, hopefully FW'er are savvy enough to look at total cost. Most of the complaints have to do with their complete lack of customer service and whether the savings is worth the frustration.

jaimelobo said:   hard2hold said:   ... Pay hundreds more for AA & Delta fr the same route...They are a discount airline and I agree, one needs to look at total cost, but many times the cost is only a few dollars less than a real airline. Meaning one that adequately staffs their counters and has a modicum of customer service. I have found, the cost difference is rarely "hundred", unless you talking about a short-notice flight (even then, not always true) or it you happen to "luck" into one of their sales for part of the flight.

Many folks problem isn't the pricing model, hopefully FW'er are savvy enough to look at total cost. Most of the complaints have to do with their complete lack of customer service and whether the savings is worth the frustration.

While I can understand that for other routes that may be true but I can only discuss DFW-LAS as DFW is my home base. I have yet to come across AA or Delta or even SWA a rate batter than Spirit's. I detest the hell out of them but on my routes they are not a few dollars cheaper than than the "real" airlines. Trust me, the second Virgin does a direct route from Dallas into Vegas....as the cliche goes - I'm all in

I'm planning on opening an airline,

Tickets are $1 per flight, however here are some small print fees:

Drinks: Water $30, Soda $35, Alcohol $50( tiny ones)
Carry on, $200
Window Seat: $100
Aisle Seat: $100
Lavatory: $25 per use
Blankets: $300

I would also turn the AC on full blast to a cool 50 degrees

Horseymen said:   If you want YOUR game to fly on their airlines, you'll probably come up very unhappy.

Totally agree with you. Although it's natural for folks to demand for something better, they should also remember that you get what you pay for, and that getting more than that will make you either lucky, or pay some more.

Besides, I never trusted travel vouchers. Somehow, I always knew that I'd get more hassle for using these things.
Even if I do end up using them, I always expect that I'd be paying some more "unmentioned" fees.

teddibear703 said:   I'm planning on opening an airline,

Carry on, $200

Pressing "call" button to summon flight attendant: $25
"overweight" fee (charged to passengers weighing over 200 lbs): $1 per pound
airsick bag: $25
pull-out food tray: free with any food or drink purchase $50 or more
using food tray for anything other than food: $50
Reclining fee (must be paid to to tilt seat back): $25
Resting your legs on unoccupied seat next to you: $50
Overhead reading light: $50
Electronic device fee (electronics banned unless you pay this fee): $100
Fee avoidance fee (must pay this if you somehow get out of paying any other fees): $100

hard2hold said:   Oh good Lord! Please read this carefully: SPIRIT is a LOW BUDGET carrier. Nothing more. It absolutely makes me look at your posts in disgust bashing a dollar store in the sky complaining they don't carry your brand of toilet paper. Whaa. If you don't like Spirit, don't F***ing give them your business. Pay hundreds more for AA & Delta fr the same route. It used to be I hated Spirit with a passion. Now I realize I hate people more. When did you braintrusts think you were entitled for a damned thing???? Re the carryon? DO YOU REALLY NEED A CARRYON ON THE DAMNED PLANE? Laptop, maybe. Purse, yeah. WTF do you have in your carryon that is so critical?

Clothes?

I was recently looking at NYC-Cancun tickets for a friend and Spirit was $75 cheaper than JetBlue or Delta and $150 cheaper than Aeromexico. Of course, add in the bag fee or carryon and it becomes a lot closer, and Aeromexico was the only airline with a nonstop flight.

Update--I tried to redeem my Spirit Airline Vouchers that I received as a result of being bumped in Cancun.

They had nothing available in Las Vegas for the dates I needed and the flights they did have available took from 10:30 am to 7:12 pm from BWI to Las Vegas--with layover in Dallas. The return flight from Dallas was 9:55 pm and would arrive at BWI at 9:30 am the next morning.

Then I tried to get a flight to Ft. Lauderdale -- the outgoing flight from BWI was 6:15 pm to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 8:45 pm -- no other outgoing flight was available. The return flight would arrive at BWI at 10:50 pm.

Also, they wanted $65/per ticket for various fees.

Spirit Airlines flight attendends had a bad attitude in general; like--if you don't like our service, go somewhere else.

When my friend found out about the fees he asked me to cancel the reservaton to Ft. Lauderdale. This is just another experience with Spirit in which I have wasted my time. I'm somewhat relieved to have this experience behind me--NEVER AGAIN WILL I FLY SPIRIT.

docmary said:   Update--I tried to redeem my Spirit Airline Vouchers that I received as a result of being bumped in Cancun.

So you took a voluntary bump not a forced bump (where you could have gotten a real refund)?

Was the vouchers for free tickets or a dollar amount gift certificate type of voucher? I am guessing it was a 'free tickets' type of voucher.

You can report them to the DOT and see if anything happens.

Rasheed

teddibear703 said:   I'm planning on opening an airline,

Carry on, $200

Drinks: free.
Bathroom: $50/use.

The "bump" was not voluntary. Spirit gave me a "free" voucher for anywhere they fly in addition to flying me home from Cancun via American Airlines a few hours later.

When I tried to use the voucher, Spirit did not have any available flights with reasonable departure and arrival times to Las Vegas. My point--Spirit's Vouchers were USELESS to me.

If you book your flight through Expedia or Orbitz, read the fine print. Wish I did.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014