Visits Home from College

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am looking for discounts, coupons, vouchers, or any other (legal)way t ohelp my daughter come home from school in Atlanta to Chicago for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. Any help would be appreciated.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Be sure to check Southwest Airlines almost everyday. That airline is not included in travel sites like Expedia, Travelocity, etc. and will have much better prices. If you get anything under $200 RT, that's pretty awesome.

If prices for air travel are too high, consider Amtrak and watch for the sales. It may take a longer in travel time, but at least you are getting to see her, and maybe she'll start to enjoy the new mode of transportation (and for your sake hopefully study on the train).

It's like a 12 hour drive. That'd probably be cheapest.

Consider gas cost, wear and tear on a car, and time/energy, I would suggest she get a job at McDonald, work those ~24 hours, and buy a plane ticket instead. Its easier and safer.

Similarly, taking the bus/train takes too long and is not economically feasible unless time/energy is worth $0 for your daughter.

Flying from a big city (Atlanta and Chicago) should not be too expensive. Remember to look up the discount airlines that fly between them. (I don't usually fly these small airlines, so you'll need to research yourself. i.e. southwest, spirit, jetblue, etc.) I'm guess you can get $200 or under per return flight if you plan ahead.

My experience is that very few people fly on thanksgiving day, black friday, Christmas, Boxing Day, new years. So flights are very available, and should be cheaper.

Unfortunately the only Amtrak line through Atlanta gores from new Orleans to Washington D.C., so she would have to go from Atlanta to Washington to Chicago. 37 hours each way, and actually more expensive than flying.

More like 14 hours, and that's if you drive straight through. Unfortunately she doesn't have a car so I would have to drive down and get her, thus doubleing the cost. with gas over $4.00/gallon, it is cheaper to fly her up than to drive down and get her.

ultrarsbowen said:   More like 14 hours, and that's if you drive straight through. Unfortunately she doesn't have a car so I would have to drive down and get her, thus doubleing the cost. with gas over $4.00/gallon, it is cheaper to fly her up than to drive down and get her.

See if there is a rideshare type board for the school, might be able to split the costs with someone else heading in the same area/direction.

I would try to find out if there are any students in the college from your area. Often you can split gas money and they are happy to get some help with the cost of travel.

I would try to find out if there are any students in the college from your area. Often you can split gas money and they are happy to get some help with the cost of travel.

Did you check bus lines, like Mega Bus ?

ETA: What is up with this silly link screwing the message. Trying to type m e g a b u s.

MilleniumBuc said:   Did you check bus lines, like Mega Bus ?

ETA: What is up with this silly link screwing the message. Trying to type m e g a b u s.
Like this? Megabus

Have her take the bus. First year college students have all the time in the world so the hassle of it isn't part of the equation.

Currently Southwest is showing fares for $69 each way non-stop.

Why a 16 hour bus ride would be considered is beyond me.

Did someone turn off your search engines or something? I like bing travel. This site is also good for flight searches: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm Also, check Southwest. You get the cheapest flight if you are flexible with dates and times.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014