• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Looking for best ways to find and use AVIOS miles that are expiring soon.
I tried logging on to BA site and selecting US domestic routes and also clicked on include partners but nothing came up.

Is there any site to help identify which domestic route needs how many miles and what airlines can you use?
If I want to book flight on AA, do I have to logon to BA site and then book AA flight or can I logon to AA sites and use my AVIOS miles?

TIA.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You need to book thro ba.com
It's always better to use to aa hub form your place (ord,Dfw etc) for best redemptions
Award is distance based
You can book only aa saver awards using avios

Try looking at Alaska Air, if that is an option for you. They have better availability that AA (and certainly BA), especially if you are on west coast.
Once you nail down the flights, call BA customer service - they will charge you an extra $25/ticket to make a phone booking (you cannot do it through BA.com for Alaska Air flights) but well worth it IMO.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Those sites were very helpful.

Another option is to redeem Avios miles for hotels. I used my 20k points for 5 free stays.

smakur said:   Try looking at Alaska Air, if that is an option for you. They have better availability that AA (and certainly BA), especially if you are on west coast.
Once you nail down the flights, call BA customer service - they will charge you an extra $25/ticket to make a phone booking (you cannot do it through BA.com for Alaska Air flights) but well worth it IMO.

how do you know which flights will be available?

germanpope said:   smakur said:   Try looking at Alaska Air, if that is an option for you. They have better availability that AA (and certainly BA), especially if you are on west coast.

Look for low mileage redemption awards on the Alaska website, where it is possible to seach one month at a time, BA typically has availability as well. For example: One way to Mexico starts at 17.5k, any flights showing such availability should be bookable with Avios.

I have booked 3 different AS trips with Avios, rep has waived the $25 phone booking fee each time as it is not possible to book AS flights on their website.

shank said:   germanpope said:   smakur said:   Try looking at Alaska Air, if that is an option for you. They have better availability that AA (and certainly BA), especially if you are on west coast.

Look for low mileage redemption awards on the Alaska website, where it is possible to seach one month at a time, BA typically has availability as well. For example: One way to Mexico starts at 17.5k, any flights showing such availability should be bookable with Avios.

I have booked 3 different AS trips with Avios, rep has waived the $25 phone booking fee each time as it is not possible to book AS flights on their website.

thanks for the reply --- my 100k Avios seems like it is going to be a windfall for me from Honolulu to the west coast

amazing. never realized I can use them on alaska (which I fly 90% of the time). I've had these 100k miles for a few years now and haven't been able to actually use them. So glad I read this thread.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014