Trip Ideas

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Family of 3 (kid is 2 yr old) looking at vacation around christmas time. Looking for a FW style budget vacation but don't want to cheapskate either.

Current plan

1) 21st - Drive from SLC 21st Dec to Vegas. Reach late afternoon. Take a break, watch the fountains, lights etc
2) 22nd - Drive to San Diego from LV. Reach early afternoon - Spend rest of the day checking out City etc..Could use some ideas here
3) 23rd - More checking out San Diego..Ideas please
4) 24th - Drive to Anaheim. Spend time at Disney. Cheap tickets? Spend night at Anaheim
5) 25th - Spend time at Disney. Leave late afternoon or evening to reach Vegas at night. Dinner and rest
6) 26th - leave vegas -> spend time with friends around Cedar City and reach SLC at night

Thoughts,Ideas etc please

TIA

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

A 2 year old kid would enjoy the local chuckycheese just as much as Disney. In fact, the local supermarket is probably as "fun".

You know what isn't fun for a 2 year old? 10 hours spent sitting in a car seat.

Around Christmas time, the weather can be unpredictable... probably ok on the interstate.

Prices will be high for everything from Vegas to LA. Your best bet is to stay flexible and Priceline hotels as you get close to your travel dates. I don't remember seeing specials for Christmas yet.

Other then Disney, you haven't mentioned anything you actually want to see/do. What is your interest? Grand Canyon is kinda on the way... but then again, you are from SLC, so perhaps you are sick of national parks and nice scenery...

Perhaps you would consider driving west to SF, then drive south? Its probably more expensive (gas and hotel in CA), but warmer and prettier. On the way back, you can hit Vegas.

fly to Hawaii and relax

I agree.. the kid is too young to remember disney and a car trip like that is probably asking a lot of a 2 year old. How about picking a destination, driving there, spending a few nights, then driving back? or even looking for a sale on southwest and going somewhere within a few hours flight?

stevie123 said:   A 2 year old kid would enjoy the local chuckycheese just as much as Disney. In fact, the local supermarket is probably as "fun".

You know what isn't fun for a 2 year old? 10 hours spent sitting in a car seat.

Around Christmas time, the weather can be unpredictable... probably ok on the interstate.

Prices will be high for everything from Vegas to LA. Your best bet is to stay flexible and Priceline hotels as you get close to your travel dates. I don't remember seeing specials for Christmas yet.

Other then Disney, you haven't mentioned anything you actually want to see/do. What is your interest? Grand Canyon is kinda on the way... but then again, you are from SLC, so perhaps you are sick of national parks and nice scenery...

Perhaps you would consider driving west to SF, then drive south? Its probably more expensive (gas and hotel in CA), but warmer and prettier. On the way back, you can hit Vegas.

Surprised nobody has said Disneyland at Christmas...lots of people, no room to move. Child in a stroller---even harder to get around.
OP have you disappeared or do you have any updates???

Way too much driving in the amount of time you have. Las Vegas to San Diego is a haul with a 2 year old. You would be better off (IMHO) to pick a destination and stay there. You are going to be exhausted from this itinery. DL is going to be very crowded and a 2 year old will get cranky and tired as will mom and dad!

750 miles each way to "check out" San Diego for a day and a half? Really? If I had six days to burn, this would not be my idea of a vacation.

Check Southwest. You ought to be able to get to the coast and back for less than $250 each.

You can also go to Disney land.its a best place for the kids.

I second the idea of skipping one of the locations to cut down on the driving. Keep in mind, it isn't just the miles. In CA, you can run into a lot of traffic and 50 miles can take over 2 hours. Sitting in traffic with a 2 year old? Not fun.

I would choose SD or Disneyland and spend more time at one of these spots.

Vegas. Get the gambling bug in them early.

How was your trip ? is it enjoyable with your kids?

binnyroger said:   How was your trip ? is it enjoyable with your kids?

As mine have yet to be born; yes it was. Thank you for asking.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014