How to get my money back from Virgin America?

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I booked a flight about 1 month ago for a roundtrip domestic flight. I purchased the "Travel Guard Insurance" with it thinking that I would be able to cancel whenever like most other airlines and get my full amount back. Well I want to cancel the trip, but after looking at this "travel insurance", it only reimburses me if it's medical related, some weather issue, an automobile accident, or a jury duty appt. Is there any way I can get my full amount back?
Really disappointed that I even paid for this travel insurance.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ready, fire, aim.

sounds like you didn't buy refundable fare. insurance only kicks in under the circumstances listed so unless those things happen, you do not get insurance to pay.
next time read the terms before pressing the confirm purchase button.

Doesn't the term insurance kind of imply that something has to go wrong?

I guess you should have thoroughly read the terms of the insurance before you bought it.

When is the flight? You MAY be able to convince VA to give you a refund or credit if a substantial schedule change occurs between now and the departure date; believe it is a min 2 hours for most carriers.

OP, you have a much bigger problem than a $200 airline ticket. You spent money on something you knew nothing about (the insurance). This character trait will cost you far more than $200 over your lifetime.

Capitalist fail.

beg

Bizatch said:   OP, you have a much bigger problem than a $200 airline ticket. You spent money on something you knew nothing about (the insurance). This character trait will cost you far more than $200 over your lifetime.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

SFcapitalist said:   thinking that I would be able to cancel whenever like most other airlines and get my full amount back.

I don't think that most airlines have travel insurance that lets you cancel for any reason. Otherwise, there would never be a reason to buy a full price refundable ticket if you can just get the insurance for a fraction of the cost.

Most travel insurance have similar terms.

SFcapitalist said:   I booked a flight about 1 month ago for a roundtrip domestic flight. I purchased the "Travel Guard Insurance" with it thinking that I would be able to cancel whenever like most other airlines and get my full amount back. Well I want to cancel the trip, but after looking at this "travel insurance", it only reimburses me if it's medical related, some weather issue, an automobile accident, or a jury duty appt. Is there any way I can get my full amount back?
Really disappointed that I even paid for this travel insurance.

Sounds like you need to:

a. Get sick enough to qualify for the medical exemption
b. do a rain dance
c. crash your car into a brick wall
or
d. contact your local court and beg for jury duty

Sounds simple enough.

Do you have a doctor friend who is willing to put on letterhead that he or she doesn't think you are able to safely travel at this time?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014