Priceline sold me a motel instead of a hotel

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
pietromoon said:   I am outraged.
This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.
And certainly the most public yet of your many humiliations.

But they are natural and they are spectacular!

fatwallet21 said:   There you go....it shows up as a hotel there and I am pretty sure the big board at the entrance would say its a motel...Priceline HAS to clearly classify between hotels and motels. Period!! Give me as many red as you can my friends..No, they don't, because no one cares other than you. Everyone else knows that a motel is simply a type of hotel. So long as you get your own room with running water and a bed, there is no difference. Just because you come from some country with strange opinions about what a motel is (maybe from watching Psycho?) doesn't mean that anyone else cares about the difference. Also, if it was 2.5 stars, it couldn't have been THAT bad, no matter what you want to think.

fatwallet21 said:   BrlDsguise said:   Just out of curiosity what Days Inn was it? I looked at the Days Inn Key West on Priceline and it is described as a motel.

There you go....it shows up as a hotel there and I am pretty sure the big board at the entrance would say its a motel...Priceline HAS to clearly classify between hotels and motels. Period!! Give me as many red as you can my friends..


Riiight... most of them actually do not say Motel OR Hotel. Just have Days Inn banner. Easy enough to check on Google Street view, by the way. Now you are just making stuff up to make yourself feel better.

fatwallet21 said:   I was perfectly fine but as soon as my wife saw it's a motel she screamed...and made me feel low in front of her mom dad.... having said this....Priceline should clearly write motel in fornt of the "Days Inn" name on their website....

Sorry dude, but Days Inn is usually known as a motel. Either way, hotel/motel, maybe next time consult with the wife first?

billrubin said:   fatwallet21 said:   There you go....it shows up as a hotel there and I am pretty sure the big board at the entrance would say its a motel...Priceline HAS to clearly classify between hotels and motels. Period!! Give me as many red as you can my friends..No, they don't, because no one cares other than you. Everyone else knows that a motel is simply a type of hotel. So long as you get your own room with running water and a bed, there is no difference. Just because you come from some country with strange opinions about what a motel is (maybe from watching Psycho?) doesn't mean that anyone else cares about the difference. Also, if it was 2.5 stars, it couldn't have been THAT bad, no matter what you want to think.

The Bates Motel was more of a B&B: Bed&Butcher!

ROFL This thread is so goddamn funny. OP: Give it up man. Every post makes you look more like an idiot. Priceline was right - the hotel/motel/whatever you call it should have shown you the rooms if you asked prior to checking in, but regardless, not their fault for you booking the room. The way Priceline works, as most of you know, is a "blind" bidding where you will, once you hit submit, be booked at the class of star hotel in the general area you selected regardless of it being a HOTEL, MOTEL, SHACK, or whatever they call it. It's the risk you take, and when you spend a max of $75, you're not going to get a RITZ CARLTON HOTEL.

Is there any problem to solve here, or are we going to continue to pile on this guy? Just let it go, man. Your wife, who I am sure is lovely, needs to STFU. NO MARBLES.

davegolden said:   ROFL This thread is so goddamn funny. OP: Give it up man. Every post makes you look more like an idiot. Priceline was right - the hotel/motel/whatever you call it should have shown you the rooms if you asked prior to checking in, but regardless, not their fault for you booking the room. The way Priceline works, as most of you know, is a "blind" bidding where you will, once you hit submit, be booked at the class of star hotel in the general area you selected regardless of it being a HOTEL, MOTEL, SHACK, or whatever they call it. It's the risk you take, and when you spend a max of $75, you're not going to get a RITZ CARLTON HOTEL. He didn't bid. He knew exactly what hotel he was getting when he bought it. And I don't see what difference it would have made if they showed him the room before he checked in. He prepaid for the room, he wasn't getting his money back (despite what he expected). And most of these places have one person on duty so I can see where the front desk clerk would not have been able to take them to see the room (plus they probably thought he was crazy).

billrubin said:   And most of these places have one person on duty so I can see where the front desk clerk would not have been able to take them to see the room (plus they probably thought he was crazy).

This is a good point. At first I was thinking that it was odd and unreasonable that they would not let them look at the rooms, but it makes sense that the front desk clerk could not abandon the front desk if no one else was on duty. Since the OP had already booked and paid for the rooms, why would he not at least get the room key and check them out in person? If they were not clean and acceptable, he could have called Priceline on the spot and demanded a refund and/or booking at another hotel.

------------

OP, here's some non-financial advice. You need to sit down with your wife and tell her that henceforth, the two of you will NEVER have an argument, yell at each other, berate, criticize or ridicule each other, or discuss personal matters, including your finances, in front of other people, including family members. Tell her that her behavior shrieking and complaining about the lodgings in front of her parents like that showed a complete lack of respect for you and was absolutely unacceptable behavior. Tell her that you never treat her that poorly [at least I hope you don't] and you will not tolerate such a lack of respect ever again - it is essentially abusive behavior and you categorically will not tolerate abuse - physical or emotional/mental - in your marriage. Every couple will have disagreements and even the very best marriages occasionally have some arguments, but there is never an excuse to embarass one's spouse in that fashion in front of other people - keep your private matters private, between just the two of you in your own home. If she balks, tell her you'll send her packing back to her parents as an immature person who is not able to be a party to an adult marriage. I don't know what your country of origin is, but I'm guessing the embarassment from the prospect of being found to be unsuitable as a wife and rejected back to her parents will likely shame her into agreeing with you and when she calms down and thinks about your eminently reasonable household rules, she won't be able to articulate any argument to the contrary. And she'll likely develop more respect for you, which you apparently have not yet earned in her eyes. Good luck.

billrubin said:   davegolden said:   ROFL This thread is so goddamn funny. OP: Give it up man. Every post makes you look more like an idiot. Priceline was right - the hotel/motel/whatever you call it should have shown you the rooms if you asked prior to checking in, but regardless, not their fault for you booking the room. The way Priceline works, as most of you know, is a "blind" bidding where you will, once you hit submit, be booked at the class of star hotel in the general area you selected regardless of it being a HOTEL, MOTEL, SHACK, or whatever they call it. It's the risk you take, and when you spend a max of $75, you're not going to get a RITZ CARLTON HOTEL. He didn't bid. He knew exactly what hotel he was getting when he bought it. And I don't see what difference it would have made if they showed him the room before he checked in. He prepaid for the room, he wasn't getting his money back (despite what he expected). And most of these places have one person on duty so I can see where the front desk clerk would not have been able to take them to see the room (plus they probably thought he was crazy).

Apparently, there were 3 people in the reception area, 2 front-lines and 1 manager. The manager didn't come out at all. Anyways, thanks all for the information, really helpful.... FWers advice is the best!!

lousygolfer said:   billrubin said:   And most of these places have one person on duty so I can see where the front desk clerk would not have been able to take them to see the room (plus they probably thought he was crazy).

This is a good point. At first I was thinking that it was odd and unreasonable that they would not let them look at the rooms, but it makes sense that the front desk clerk could not abandon the front desk if no one else was on duty. Since the OP had already booked and paid for the rooms, why would he not at least get the room key and check them out in person? If they were not clean and acceptable, he could have called Priceline on the spot and demanded a refund and/or booking at another hotel.

------------

OP, here's some non-financial advice. You need to sit down with your wife and tell her that henceforth, the two of you will NEVER have an argument, yell at each other, berate, criticize or ridicule each other, or discuss personal matters, including your finances, in front of other people, including family members. Tell her that her behavior shrieking and complaining about the lodgings in front of her parents like that showed a complete lack of respect for you and was absolutely unacceptable behavior. Tell her that you never treat her that poorly [at least I hope you don't] and you will not tolerate such a lack of respect ever again - it is essentially abusive behavior and you categorically will not tolerate abuse - physical or emotional/mental - in your marriage. Every couple will have disagreements and even the very best marriages occasionally have some arguments, but there is never an excuse to embarass one's spouse in that fashion in front of other people - keep your private matters private, between just the two of you in your own home. If she balks, tell her you'll send her packing back to her parents as an immature person who is not able to be a party to an adult marriage. I don't know what your country of origin is, but I'm guessing the embarassment from the prospect of being found to be unsuitable as a wife and rejected back to her parents will likely shame her into agreeing with you and when she calms down and thinks about your eminently reasonable household rules, she won't be able to articulate any argument to the contrary. And she'll likely develop more respect for you, which you apparently have not yet earned in her eyes. Good luck.



Thanks lousygolfer....great thoughts and advice..thanks a lot!! her parents warned her that they'll be packing and going back if she behaves like this again....also, they have asked her to stay with them for few months and get some training... thanks again!!

fatwallet21 said:   I was perfectly fine but as soon as my wife saw it's a motel she screamed...and made me feel low in front of her mom dad

Appears that the real problem is not the poor choice of hotel, but rather the poor choice of wife...

dstankus2 said:   fatwallet21 said:   I was perfectly fine but as soon as my wife saw it's a motel she screamed...and made me feel low in front of her mom dad

Appears that the real problem is not the poor choice of hotel, but rather the poor choice of wife...


Cheap Shot.

Everyone is not as perfect as dstankus2.

I think he is trolling...

I'm not sure he is. This sounds ridiculous to most Americans, but I could totally see this happening with folks from Asian cultures. It can be hard for Americans to understand these differences, but still, OP, grow a pair.

RedCelicaGT said:   I'm not sure he is. This sounds ridiculous to most Americans, but I could totally see this happening with folks from Asian cultures. It can be hard for Americans to understand these differences, but still, OP, grow a pair.

Please, I know a guy who spent a year in prsion because his wife said he hit her.

He didn't, but men are presumed guilty.

The law has stripped away men's rights.

"Grow a Pair" ? I recommend you DON'T ! Unless you want to Bunk with Bubba.

Hey guys, I am Asian.. and yes, MOTELS are not the "PROPER" place to bring your wife where I am from... it's "dirty" in a way...that's where guys get their "quickies", LOL!!!! Motels are where you bring the sl_ts, and you pay per hour, or if i remember it right, they also have 3 hours stay, hehe... damn those are the days! but anyways, if Im the wife and my husband brings me to a motel with my folks, damn, id raise hell as well!!!! Its just how things are!

Anyways, I know it's different here but still, I can't make myself stay in a motel, just a preference .. hell, I can get a suite here in Vegas for $26 bucks a night, so yes, if i pay $75-$80, I expect something better!

batty said:   Hey guys, I am Asian.. and yes, MOTELS are not the "PROPER" place to bring your wife where I am from... it's "dirty" in a way...that's where guys get their "quickies",

Care to share the precise country of origin so we can better focus our biases?

Japanese != Chinese != Koreans != Vietnamese.

(and don't get me started on the Desis.)

Well, I don't know how it is now, but back then, in the 70's, I work in an Engineering firm and mostly guys work there so I know where they bring the girls for the night or whatever time of the day it is.. i know you can book a room for 3 hours.. Of course Im not talking about their girlfriends or wife.. i mean the girls that they take out from cabarets or whatever they call it. They talk about themed rooms, special chairs, edible stuff you can use for "the play" and so on and on... so thats why the bad reputation of these hotels.. of course, it varies depending on the price so you get the upscale ones and the cheaper ones that you better be careful of.. and i mean this is in Manila.. im sure there's more of this in Olongapo (Subic, Philippines).. one of the upscale ones is this VC. if you look at their company logo, you can already get a hint of why..

Here's a description of one of their suites..

Bask in the Bliss and embrace the cozy seclusion found at Victoria Court Balintawak in Caloocan City. Its famous themed rooms are the perfect host to your playful rendezvous or passionate interlude.

Let ardor and romance sizzle in spades in the Monochrome and Stairway Rooms. Enjoy calming and soothing nights in the Asian Spa, Stilts, and Bohemian Rooms. Let fun, passion, and love reign.
Text

I'm fairly certain DAY'S INN is NOT going to rent you a room by the hour.

But I'll bet you can find plenty of "HOTELS" in any Inner City that will.

In many parts of the US there are no Hotels at all. People on Family Trips generally prefer Motels.

And I strenuously oppose all the insulting comments concerning the OP's wife. Suggestions to "Grow a Pair", at least to my ears, come quite close to suggesting that ABUSE is ok.

I googled about the motels now in Manila.. i came across this:

A poster asked about how this particular motel is.. and one of the answer was:

I am Love from Victoria Court, please let me have the privilege to answer your inquiries. Our room rates depend on the type of room and the number of hours you will stay in our room. We have three room types: STANDARD, DE LUXE, and SUITE. Standard room ranges from 375 to 595 for 3 hour stay. For our DE LUXE room,the price ranges from 975 to 1,395 for 3 hours. For our Suite room, the price ranges from 2,945 to 6,995 for 5 hours.

With regards to concern about hidden cameras, please let me assure you that we don't have any hidden cameras in our room. We guarantee your privacy in all of our rooms.
Text


I guess I missed the part about the OP being in Manilla.

SalemCat said:   

Please, I know a guy who spent a year in prsion because his wife said he hit her.

He didn't, but men are presumed guilty.

The law has stripped away men's rights.

"Grow a Pair" ? I recommend you DON'T ! Unless you want to Bunk with Bubba.

I don't follow your logic. Being a man doesn't mean hitting your wife. It does mean in no uncertain terms not tolerating such behavior or anything close to it.

batty said:   Hey guys, I am Asian.. and yes, MOTELS are not the "PROPER" place to bring your wife where I am from... it's "dirty" in a way...that's where guys get their "quickies", LOL!!!! Motels are where you bring the sl_ts, and you pay per hour, or if i remember it right, they also have 3 hours stay, hehe... damn those are the days! but anyways, if Im the wife and my husband brings me to a motel with my folks, damn, id raise hell as well!!!! Its just how things are!

Anyways, I know it's different here but still, I can't make myself stay in a motel, just a preference .. hell, I can get a suite here in Vegas for $26 bucks a night, so yes, if i pay $75-$80, I expect something better!


OK, atleast someone on this forum who understands my situation. Thanks!!

This is USA. If your wife or your in-laws dont know how things work in US even after you explain it to them, I dont know what to say other than that they are very narrow-minded or have a high inferiority complex.
If you had taken them at a motel in whatever country you're from, it would have been a different story. But this is USA.

I'm Indian.. and a lot of people from India think that motels are inferior compared to hotels.. but that's simply the case in India.. and not in US.

You found one person to agree with you, so you're confirming your beliefs rather than reading and understanding what others are saying

You should be able to tell the difference between a motel and a notel.

fatwallet21 said:   batty said:   Hey guys, I am Asian.. and yes, MOTELS are not the "PROPER" place to bring your wife where I am from... it's "dirty" in a way...that's where guys get their "quickies", LOL!!!! Motels are where you bring the sl_ts, and you pay per hour, or if i remember it right, they also have 3 hours stay, hehe... damn those are the days! but anyways, if Im the wife and my husband brings me to a motel with my folks, damn, id raise hell as well!!!! Its just how things are!

Anyways, I know it's different here but still, I can't make myself stay in a motel, just a preference .. hell, I can get a suite here in Vegas for $26 bucks a night, so yes, if i pay $75-$80, I expect something better!


OK, atleast someone on this forum who understands my situation. Thanks!!


Take that with a grain/pitch/barrel of salt. After all, the one understanding you is... batty.

KayK said:   This is USA. If your wife or your in-laws dont know how things work in US even after you explain it to them, I dont know what to say other than that they are very narrow-minded or have a high inferiority complex.
If you had taken them at a motel in whatever country you're from, it would have been a different story. But this is USA.

I'm Indian.. and a lot of people from India think that motels are inferior compared to hotels.. but that's simply the case in India.. and not in US.

You found one person to agree with you, so you're confirming your beliefs rather than reading and understanding what others are saying


I know this is USA. There is something called "inclusion". Inclusion of culture, thoughts, personalities..I do agree though it was my mistake.. I didn't research properly.... my wife still stands correct because motels sound inferior to hotels...I behave the same when she doesn't cook properly...hahaha. it's our regular fights that keeps our relationship strong...

fatwallet21 said:   
I know this is USA. There is something called "inclusion". Inclusion of culture, thoughts, personalities..I do agree though it was my mistake.. I didn't research properly.... my wife still stands correct because motels sound inferior to hotels...I behave the same when she doesn't cook properly...hahaha. it's our regular fights that keeps our relationship strong...


Sounds like "delusion".

Safe travels.

Potato/Patato


I've stayed in some really nice "motels" and some really crappy "hotels" plus a few inns and lodges and suites and towers and resorts.

Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

You're seriously using Wikipedia as source?

Here in the USA exterior entrances or not doesn't make something a hotel or a motel.
That said, if you were trying to impress the wife, a simple search of Google would indicate almost any Days Inn in the US (interior or exterior hallway) would not be a good choice. (My worst hotel ever was on TripAdvisor's top 10 worst in the country -- the Days Inn by Cleveland Airport.) In a bidding situation you might have had a SMALL ounce of credibility in your complaint, but in a situation where you knew it was the Days Inn, could have researched it before you bought ... sorry, doesn't fly that you are from out of the country. If I go to another country I would do the research for the hotel standards there. For example, Holiday Inns can be pretty dumpy here but most international ones are pretty good!

tl;dr: Use tripadvisor next time!



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014