• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi -

My wife and my kid are leaving to India end of this month and now change of plans to cancel the travel.

I called etihad to cancel the ticket and they are saying that there will be no refund for this type of ticket and I am not sure what to do....

I went through the email I got from them after reservation, it did not mention anything about the cancellation charge or the fare rules ... nothing is mentioned on their website as well ...

Can you please help me with this situation ?

Member Summary

Their website states:

Change your flight- Permitted at a charge of USD150 per change.
Cancel your flight- Permitted at a charge of USD200 per person. After departure refunds are not permitted. Refund administration fee: Etihad charges service fees for all tickets being processed for a refund, in addition to any fare penalties applicable.
Add extra flexibility to your flight times

Was it booked through their website?

Yes .. and at the same time there is nothing in the ticket or the email confirmation that talks about the cancellation charges ... When I spoke to the customer service about the same, they are no .. thats what the fare condition of the ticket was ..

Please help

itsmeprinceus said:   Yes .. and at the same time there is nothing in the ticket or the email confirmation that talks about the cancellation charges ... When I spoke to the customer service about the same, they are no .. thats what the fare condition of the ticket was ..

Please help

All we can suggest is to call the airline again and explain. There is really nothing else to suggest.
Good luck and please update your post.

I called them and was on a call for 1:45 mins and all they said was sorry, they cannot do anything ...
He suggested me to get a travel insurance from my credit card company and since I did not start my travel yet, i can get a 100% refund.

OP, you're free to cancel the ticket. Your real question is "How do I get a refund on a non-refundable ticket", which is quite clearly a ludicrous question.

Well the point is there is nothing on my end that states that the ticket is non-refundable and they say it is non refundable..

Since there is nothing I can see at my end, they can also say they will charge me extra $500 for cancelling my ticket .. there is no proof !

itsmeprinceus said:   Well the point is there is nothing on my end that states that the ticket is non-refundable and they say it is non refundable..

Since there is nothing I can see at my end, they can also say they will charge me extra $500 for cancelling my ticket .. there is no proof !

Not sure why you are continuing. Unless you think someone here works (and is able to modify fees) from this company...it serves no purpose. You need to continue to contact that company since whining here will not solve your problem.

itsmeprinceus said:   I went through the email I got from them after reservation, it did not mention anything about the cancellation charge or the fare rules ... nothing is mentioned on their website as well ...

...Since there is nothing I can see at my end, they can also say they will charge me extra $500 for cancelling my ticket .. there is no proof !
As someone pointed out, but you chose to ignore, it most certainly is on their web site. When I just plugged in a couple dates, then went to the schedule page, it said prominately:

Ticket flexibility
Your current tickets allow you to:
Change your flight -- Permitted at a charge of USD200 per change.
Cancel your flight -- Refunds not permitted.

There is also an option to pay ~$100 more and be allowed to cancel for a $200/ticket fee.

Instead of canceling, couldn't you reschedule the tickets to a later date when you plan to visit? as noted above, a rescheduling fee may apply...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nonrefundable

There is a reason why NON REFUNDABLE tickets are such a good deal - airlines know that a percentage will be cancelled or changed.

try medical reasons

vickh said:   try medical reasons

They need doctors note, not someone just saying I have XXX medical condition. Even then probably won't work. I was suffering a miscarriage and needed to get home to my doctor. The doctor where I was on vacation was on phone with me trying to get airline to not charge me then high change fee- was going to fax, write a letter, do whatever. Airline wouldn't budge. So I paid fee....

Have a similar question: One of my meetings was cancelled and I will no longer need the non refundable flight. I plan to change my flight to a later date and pay the $150 fee. When is the best time to notify the airline of this (US air)? Right now? My original flight was for 1.24/13 or so. Or, wait closer to the 1.24 day? Does is matter? I'm assuming that if I don't do anything, I lose out on any value of the ticket (?)

Two considerations:
1. When would you like to travel? Generally speaking, the new fare will go up as the date approaches - anywhere from 1 to 5 weeks.
2. Should be possible to change without a fee, get a refund if the carrier makes a change of 2 hours or more - reason o wait as long as possible

Thanks, shank.

I was thinking of using the value of the ticket for the summer or so. My destination is/was going to be san juan puerto rico. I don't plan to go there in the summer. I didn't know I had to tell them that I would be going somewhere in the summer. Do I? I just don't want to lose any value that I have there.

You don't have to issue the new ticket; the credit (less the $150-change fee) is valid for 1 year from the date of purchase of the original ticket.
Not sure about US, but on UA that's taken to mean all travels on the new ticket must be completed within 1 year from the original date of purchase.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/specialneeds/ticketin...
  • If a reservation is canceled on/before the ticketed departure date, the value of the ticket may be applied toward future travel up to one year from the original issue date. Travel on the new ticket must be completed within one year of the original date of issue.
  • If any part of the ticket is unused after the ticketed departure date and the reservation has not been canceled, the ticket has no value.

Thanks, DeGlass.

Just what I needed.

baba ganush

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014